PDA

View Full Version : Need Desperate Help ASAP

Need Desperate Help ASAP

COerriccaRN
08-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Okay so I was sitting here about to feed Erricca a green anole baby. She gets one a month. Well she was in her tree and it crawled over there and she struck it. She is now eating it hanging from a tree...UPSIDE down.

I have since turned her right side up, but the anole head it in her mouth the long way and she can't swallow. She acts like she is choking IDK what to do. Should I take it out, should I help her??? HeLP!:eek:

Medevil_Nuke
08-15-2009, 12:08 AM
BUMP!!
Sorry can't help...

COerriccaRN
08-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Hold on! I will post pics!

COerriccaRN
08-15-2009, 12:32 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh118/frashizzle03/0814092248.jpg

The_Thunderer
08-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Hmmmm... I think if you leave her alone, she'll eventually work it out. Sometimes things get "awkward" when you don't have hands, but snakes are pretty successful predators. IMO, she'll be fine.

bitsy
08-15-2009, 04:48 AM
The worst thing you can do is keep fussing over her. Leave her in peace - either she'll swallow it or she'll spit it out.

She can't choke on food. Her windpipe opens in the floor of her mouth and isn't in the back of her throat as in humans. She can breathe perfectly well whilst she figures out what to do next.

TBH, I'm pretty sure they're capable of eating hanging from a tree. Just leave her be.

COerriccaRN
08-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks everything turned out okay. She took FOREVER to swallow it though. Poor girl.

Camby
08-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Why are you feeding a baby anole a month? Is she not eating rodents of appropriate size?

COerriccaRN
08-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Why are you feeding a baby anole a month? Is she not eating rodents of appropriate size?

I just have three anoles that lay eggs and I get alot of babie anoles so I just feed them to my snake as a supplement to her diet. She would be eating a mixture of anoles and mice in the wild, so why not feed her them in captivity? I see nothing wrong with this at all and have read many articles that says adding variety to a snakes diet is beneficial.

Also, feeding the baby anoles saves me money and time (a trip to the nearest pet store in an hour and a half away.) I sometimes run out of pinkies before I can make another loooong trip into town. So the baby anoles are beneficial in alot of ways.

bitsy
08-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Poor girl.

Poor girl?! I don't think so - she must've thought all her Christmases and birthdays had come at once!

Anoles are a sort of "luxury" food item for a captive-bred Corn. Your main concern is that she gets a taste for them and refuses to eat pinkies. Then you're in a hole if you don't have baby anoles all year round. The good thing about feeding rodents is that they breed all year round and the only thing stopping you from having them is making a trip to town.

If Mother Nature stands in your way, you could find yourself in a bind. Might be worth freezing some of your own anoles, as insurance.

Variety in diet isn't necessary for a captive-bred Corn. I'm not sure what the benefits would be in giving it. Many live very long and healthy lives on mice alone (my eldest is 21 and counting). They don't "enjoy" variety - they don't have the capacity to do that. In their brains, "hunger=eat" and as long as they have enough to eat, they don't care what it is they're eating.

Nanci
08-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Your main concern is that she gets a taste for them and refuses to eat pinkies.

THat and the fact that anoles carry parasites...

Tula_Montage
08-16-2009, 08:48 AM
After witnessing my little adult male carinata have 2 ft long tape worms removed from superficial bumps on the side of his body (what I was told were fatty lumps when I bought him) I would STRONGLY advise you do not feed anoles due to the risk of them carrying worms and parasites. Unless you are willing to treat your adult anoles every few months for worms and parasites you cannot guarantee that they do not have them.

He was LTC yet those worms stayed in him for at least 5 years. His previous owner did not treat him when he came in freshly imported however another contributing factor to his infestation was that his previous owner would also feed him anoles!

Lennycorn
08-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Somewhere in this thread ( http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87685 ) she states that she has treated them once for worms and parasites. I don't have experience on Anoles to know if thats enought but... she is aware of parasites.

COerriccaRN
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I have ALOt of frozen anoles, although she still eats pinkies willingly :)