• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Retirement........

Congrats Rich :) Finally it can begin. I wish you the best with your retirement. I'm sorry you had to keep those last 10 for an extra few days!

Cheers
Ads

I have left cats home alone for two weeks or more. Much easier to care for than dogs. Plus, you get a warm, soft, furry lap companion :D .

Although, I do recall having to put out several litter boxes... ick! I dont let my cats outdoors. I guess scratch that idea! LOL

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have the cats running loose outside. We have birds that roost on the porch quite often and I'm sure the cats would be trying to make meals out of them. And certainly they couldn't live in the garage as they would be climbing onto the cars and scratching the hell out of the paint job.

Quite the end of an era eh...?
Your rest is well earned, enjoy it :)

Thank you. I guess the biggest difference noted is that now I don't feel the pressure of HAVING to do something otherwise animals will die. It was a weight I've had on my shoulders for so long that I didn't notice it until it was lifted.

CONGRATS, AND HAPPY RETIREMENT TO BOTH OF YOU!! A job well done, definitely keep the boards running, we all would be so lost with out the boards to keep this family together and can't wait to read those books full of your stories and knowledge!!

Connie and I have been working over in the ex-reptile building lately stacking up shoe boxes and sweater boxes to try to get then all squared away to being picked up maybe this upcoming week. I have to admit I got a couple of pangs looking around at the emptied cages and bare racks. Normally by this time I'm throwing boys and girls together. I guess it's going to take me a while to get used to NOT doing something I have been doing for the past 30 years.

Sheesh, I can see myself in a couple of years going to reptile shows and asking vendors if I can hold one of their corn snakes for a while..... :rolleyes: People will be saying, "Say, who was that old guy wandering around wanting to hold the snakes?"

BTW, we did not get tables at Expo this year. I had thought I might want to do that and have flyers to distribute for this site and FaunaClassifieds. But honestly, the expenses to do that show and not be MAKING money there just doesn't make sense for us to do. We may drive over there just for the day to visit, but we'll see....

Enjoy it. I'm jus now getting ready to take my roots in the working hard route in a career, so It will be lots of yrs before I can retire...

Rich...

As most of us have said since you announced your retirement...it's got to be a HUGE change for you. <G> Something you did, pretty much non-stop everyday for 30 years......

Hope you're both enjoying the heck out of being able to do what you want to do, when you want to ! <smile> I'll probably never be able to retire, but I know I would not be bored or lack for things to do if it ever would come to be...heh.

Rich...

As most of us have said since you announced your retirement...it's got to be a HUGE change for you. Something you did, pretty much non-stop everyday for 30 years......

Hope you're both enjoying the heck out of being able to do what you want to do, when you want to ! I'll probably never be able to retire, but I know I would not be bored or lack for things to do if it ever would come to be...heh.

Well, so far it isn't exactly working out that way.

Been working on clearing out all the stuff out of the reptile and mouse buildings, which is a pretty big job. Still finding stuff in the shed that I had forgotten I even had. CASES of deli cups and lids, brand new mouse cage bottoms, and even a horseshoe set that we played exactly once and then promptly lost when we stored it in there. Everywhere I turn I'm finding MORE water dishes or shoe boxes. Mark is coming over here this week to pick up a bunch of the stuff, but no way he's going to be able to take it all in one load. We had the refrigeration units disconnected last week and he's going to be taking those.

A while back I sold off much of my gun collection to finance some other things I wanted to do going into retirement. Got a garage built and still trying to get that finished. Need to finish the floor, but it's been just too cold to put down an epoxy coating. And it looks like I might want to get the driveway paved otherwise the rain running down off the garage and across the apron will be constantly eroding away the soil there.

Then my car is still in the shop. I had to finally reject that first engine built. After the intake manifold bolt holes in the heads were drilled wrong, then the "fix" done to the holes looked rather poorly done, and then I found a crack in the head casting around one of the valve guides, I just said "NO" to the whole thing. So now the engine builder is building me a new engine using a different manufacturer for the block and heads. I had NOT planned on being tied up with this since the end of October! I'm thinking it's going to be at least another month before I have that back.

So far, not much we can do about travelling........ :(

Oh yeah, and I've got to get my taxes done, too.

Funny how life will suck up all available time, no matter how much you have of it....

Soon, Soon....it will all slow down and life will still suck up all the available time you have BUT it will be because you choose to have it that way and with what you want to do!!!! Hang in there the end of "business/work" is in sight, and rest and play are on the way.

How about this "high tech relaxation device"? :roflmao: Of course, that hammock is about 20 years old and has been sitting on the porch virtually unused, so it's dry rotted. But still, the concept is intriguing. I just need some sort of remote for the lift, of course....

Attachments

• hammock_01.jpg
    hammock_01.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 98
  • hammock_02.jpg
    hammock_02.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 98
  • hammock_03.jpg
    hammock_03.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 97
You might want to disconnect that "high tech relaxation device" from the truck before you employ it. If it were me, disaster would surely strike!

Your posts remind me of a gentleman from my church who, when asked about retirement, went on to list all the things he hadn't planned and didn't particularly wish to do that now took up his time. He concluded, "Now that I'm retired I'm so busy, I don't know how I ever found time to work!"

Well, one thing that will certainly be different in the future is that I won't dread the possibility of a strong hurricane making landfall right where we are at. In the past, that used to really worry me, because there would just be no way to evacuate all the animals. Which meant I would have had to choose to either tough it out and stay, regardless of the consequences, or abandon them and high tail it out of here. Not a pleasant choice to have to make......

Rich, do you mean the little water bowls that go in deli cups? I'd buy some if you could ship them.

(Nevermind, I saw the real thread about them!)

Rich, do you mean the little water bowls that go in deli cups? I'd buy some if you could ship them.

(Nevermind, I saw the real thread about them!)

Yeah, I have a bunch of those for sale since I won't be needing them again. And cases of the deli cup liners as well. They are listed on my shopping cart program on my site.

Back