• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Retirement........

I suppose since you are going to travel, you can't get a few cats to help with the mice?

A gorgeous garage and I like the colors.

Thats a very nice building, Rich. Is that a " Morton Building" , or a different brand of steel building ?

Good luck with keeping the rodents out.

I suppose since you are going to travel, you can't get a few cats to help with the mice?

A gorgeous garage and I like the colors.

Cats are too destructive to ALL of the wildlife. We have birds roosting and nesting on our porch that the cats would have a literal picnic with. And we have LOTs of lizards that they would certainly attack as well. Not to mention that I have actually seen cats sleeping on our cars. Imagine what their claws do to the paint job.

No, cats are just flat out unwelcome around here.

Thats a very nice building, Rich. Is that a " Morton Building" , or a different brand of steel building ?

Good luck with keeping the rodents out.

The building was sold to me by SteelMax buildings (a subsidiary of Vulcan Steel) out of Adel, Georgia. The guy I dealt with is Darren Hiers who bent over backwards to help me out with this. I mean, he was calling the local building permit office, looking into lining up contractors for the concrete and building erection, basically going far and above what his job really entails.

And the quality of the materials appears to be excellent. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely buy from him again.

I will say this. Holidays are a WHOLE lot better if you don't have to be working with the animals most of the day.... :grin01:

Tell me about it. This is my first T'giving that I had no turkey. Animals and stuff at the store had to be tended to.

But then, you now have no excuse to get away from those family members that drive you crazy.

I'm actually thinking about starting a new hobby. Started innocently enough. We are finally getting a garage built and Connie commented that there are going to be a lot of sheet metal screws in the driveway, and we've already picked up one in one of my tires on my vette after the carport was built a few years ago. So she suggests that I get a metal detector to help find them before the tires do.

Hmm, why not? So I look on the web to see what is available. Of course, there are 3 bazillion types of models available, and I don't have a clue about any of them. And being that I am the techie kind of person I am, I start learning about this stuff and digging a deeper hole for myself every minute I am learning. So I start thinking, well, this could be some fun. We have miles of beaches nearby, and Connie loves the beach, which I do to, but I get bored after a while. So I could occupy myself looking like the doddering old fool on the beach looking for junk people have lost or thrown away. Heck, I might even make $2.00 in dimes and quarters after four hours of searching! That could go towards my back surgery from the damages inflicting stooping and digging holes in the beach. Wowee!

So I don't know, maybe it will be more fun then tedium. I think with anything of this nature, it's more the fun of looking then the real expectation that your time will always be fruitfully and profitably spent. Heck, lord knows how many happy hours I have spent in my younger years looking for snakes and mostly coming home skunked. Heck, there are a number of known shipwrecks off the coast of Florida, and it's not unknown for people to find gold doubloons in the sand. Fresh air, sunshine, exercise, and the slim chance of finding a fortune? Heck, it don't get much better then that, does it?

No it doesn't. It's a shame you'll be leaving the snake community as one of the leading sellers, but just think of the huge splash you'll make in the uh... metal-detecting community! Sounds like the retirement I dream of, haha.

Rich, I'm watching corvettes being made on the NatGeo channel and thinking of you.

Yeah, my car has been in the shop for exactly a month now. First I got sick. The my tech/tuner got sick. Then a hurricane came into town. Found out I had to have both of my turbos rebuilt. Now the latest thing is that the new motor I got has to be shipped back to the builder because the intake manifold won't bolt onto it. So my car has been up on the lift all this time, and the drivetrain scattered all over the shop floor. :headbang:

Am I getting bad omens or what? :crying:

Well, FedEx just pulled away with the last 10 cornsnakes to leave here. We are now officially and completely without any animals to take care of. So I guess retirement has finally begun.

I wanted to get a video of Mark, Connie, and myself packing up the animals, but I just couldn't find a real good spot to mount the camcorder where it either wouldn't get knocked over because the tripod was in the way, or else the angle was such that it wouldn't show anything but a real good view of my balding head. So I scrapped the idea.

So now I'm wondering how long it will take me to get bored. I honestly can't remember the last time I felt bored, so I'm curious to see what it will be like. Mark took most of the stuff (deli cups and shipping boxes) on the porch, so Connie and I will be able use the rocking chairs that have gone unused for the last 18 years. Might have to get the screen enclosure around the pool fixed that some squirrel jumped through the roof a year or so ago so we can use the pool next year. We used it exactly twice in the last three years.

We're going to buy bicycles and have a friend cut some trails through our property with his tractor, so we can bike ride and enjoy our land that we have basically neglected for as long as we have been here. Been clearing around the house and buildings and it's starting to look less like a house preparing to be swallowed by nature (that Cherokee rose REALLY got out of hand!), and more like a house sitting in the middle of a park. This will probably help with the rodent problem as well, because opened areas are usually avoided by rats and mice as it makes it easier for flying predators to nab them.

Spent some time with the pressure washer the other day cleaning up the wooden steps to the house that had gotten pretty funky looking. I have a feeling I'm going to be getting a LOT of use out of that thing in the near future. I bought it a few years ago and pretty much forgot about it.

Oh well... Just checked the weather forecast and it looks like rain all the rest of the week. Great... Be my luck that we'll get 40 days and 40 nights of rain and then I will go bug-eyed stir crazy....

Sounds like you got rid of those last problem animals, too? Not a single mouse, snake, leopard gecko, or any other pet now?

Let's see a photo of you two rocking on the porch - then we will REALLY know you are retired!

Sounds like you got rid of those last problem animals, too? Not a single mouse, snake, leopard gecko, or any other pet now?

Let's see a photo of you two rocking on the porch - then we will REALLY know you are retired!

Nope, no snakes, mice, nor leopard geckos. No pets whatsoever. Connie was thinking about getting a dog, but she vetoed her own idea when she realized that it would tie us down as much as the business did. Just no way you can carry a dog around in a vette while traveling.

Well, those rocking chairs will need to be pressure washed clean first. They are covered with 18 years of dust and pine pollen. :roflmao: I even found my hammock folded up in the corner of the porch. Probably dry rotted by now, though. Connie bought that for me as a birthday gift, probably 15 years ago. I used it maybe three times.

We're thinking about maybe knocking out an interior wall in the reptile building and putting in a pool table. All of the old speakers I have stored in the dining room will be going over there, for certain. Haven't been able to use the dining room for years. I'm just a darn pack rat by nature, I guess. I hate to throw anything away that I may possibly want to use sometime during the rest of my life, no matter how remote that chance. :grin01:

If this is what retirements about I'm working forever,lol but I hope you never know bored and get to enjoy the things hidden in your home you had forgot about;)

That is great news, Rich. I dont know what I would do if I had no animals. I would be soooo bored. At least you have plenty to catch up on.

Congrats :)

CONGRATS, Rich!!! And you beat your January deadline too, so you've got a holiday within your HOLIDAY. LOL.

Good call on the dog... while they're much more "companion" type pets, they do still tend to "tie one down".

Back