• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fresh dead vs f/t?

One minute, thirty seconds befor my post go up. Oh well newspaper, and the ink they use to print has no effects on the corn? Just have to ask because some critters anything can hurt them and I am a cornsnake green horn.

No harm that I know of. Maybe some ink stain but thats a maybe.

The Big Cheese is located in Dallas,Tx. They also will do shipping via greyhound which is alot less than $50, thanks a ton beautifullywild, this may be a great option for me.

Looks like I missed the drama of this thread..l but I thought I'd lend my view:

I have bought large orders from rodent pro and sold extras to local reptile owners at a dollar a mouse.

I have bought live, killed them (CO2 is easiest, IMO) then frozen them.

Risks of fresh killed are parasites, but also I think they tend to smell worse before being frozen (I left a fk rat in with a python for a few hours and holy crap, the smell was terrible! Usually I would offer it to someone else but I just tossed it. )

Also if a snake is used to f/t (that is wet and hot) they may not like fk that is dry and cooling down.

Keep in mind that freezing does not kill crypto (which is transferred through snake feces, so a mouse breeder who has snakes and mice and has poor husbandry could get snake feces on the mice, thereby giving your snake crypto).
This underlines the importance of knowing the quality of husbandry from where you get your mice.

As for starting a mouse colony: I've had terrible results.
My male was biting my females to the point that one female had fairly bad wounds and I had to separate her. She got lonely... So I separated the male and rotated the females through. Pain in the rear.
My white female got pregnant, ate all her babies. She got pregnant once more and I managed to save most of the babies before she got to them. Third time no such luck.
The injured female never got pregnant.
The other female got pregnant once and I took the babies before the other female could eat them.
Result: I spent $6 in food, $4 on a water bottle and $6 on mice. I got 17 pinkies and a pain in my rear. I spend $0.18/ pinkie online (plus shipping, obviously)
Other negatives: you have to check/feed/clean every day! Missing one or two days can result in near death or death.
They smell. One mouse smells worse than 150 snakes.
They bite. Snake bites? Give me a break. Mouse bites hurt and bleed.

I may try again just because I hate to be defeated, but not to save money or because I'm worried about quality- I trust RodentPro.

Also- reptile expos usually have a frozen mice vendor there where you can get pretty cheap mice.

I would totally recommend rodent pro, though- and get something like 50 of the current size, 50 of the next size up and so on and fill the box the rest of the way with adults. If you run out of smaller sizes, you can always supplement with local options- and you will eventually need the adults.
Plus, you can sell some if you need to.

Too many douche bags here. Hope you choke on your superiority complex

edit: Got it covered, guys. No need to keep reporting!- Nanci

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps in the future rodentpro may be more economical for me, I am really loving this little adopted guy.

Layne Labs is in CA, & IMO, their quality is better than RP. Being on the west coast, shipping is cheaper, & their turn around time is much faster than RP.

Hope you choke on your superiority complex

The only person I see with a superiority complex here is you. Everyone here has factual reasons why not to feed live, and there are many extensive threads about the subject. It is not our fault that you act as though our experiences are void, because you feel it is "more natural". In my opinion, that is ignorance.

Layne Labs is in CA, & IMO, their quality is better than RP. Being on the west coast, shipping is cheaper, & their turn around time is much faster than RP.

Surprisingly I did not find Layne Labs cheaper at all. You would figure since we are neighbors (state wise). I still found Rodent Pro and the Big Cheese to be the cheapest. It could have something to do with the quantity that I order as well though.

Surprisingly I did not find Layne Labs cheaper at all. You would figure since we are neighbors (state wise). I still found Rodent Pro and the Big Cheese to be the cheapest. It could have something to do with the quantity that I order as well though.

The rodents aren't cheaper, but the shipping for me, is cheaper. I'd still rather go with LL, I have found their product to be better quality than RP.
Yes, large quantities are definitely cheaper with RP, but overall, with the longer turn around time, & lower quality product (IMO), I like LL way better.

I could understand that. What I found confusing though is that shipping was still more to me than other rodent dealers. With out even comparing mice prices just the same quantity of mice being shipped. I don't know maybe I should have called them instead of doing it online.

Oh well. One idiot gone! David didn't even argue his opinion, which Legion at least did.

Back