• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

Now THAT'S a drill bit! Don't they make screws that are big enough then?

Where's your shoes Nanci? :grin01:

This is sick!!

And I would like to add that I cannot be trusted in a garden store...New magnolia, dogwood and Japanese red maple for the boxies...

Attachments

• Day Three 001.jpg
    Day Three 001.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Now THAT'S a drill bit! Don't they make screws that are big enough then?

Where's your shoes Nanci? :grin01:

No Dave, see above for the mother of all drill bits! They don't make screws that big. The nails I'm using are 12". I guess I could have used rebar, but the nails are easier to drive. And galvanized.

I'm not much of a shoe-wearer...

Day Three, 1:00 PM. Lunch break? Or keep going, get the last course on, and take a nap...

Attachments

• Day Three.jpg
    Day Three.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 309
Now it's time for lunch! All the nailing is done! Six 4x4's high. Next comes some hand-sawing.

Attachments

• Day Three 003.jpg
    Day Three 003.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 306
When this happened to me, building Fort Tort, I almost had a heart attack. Luckily, there is a simple solution.

Attachments

• Day Three 004.jpg
    Day Three 004.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 297
Cut 'em off! That's it for today- I need some decking screws so I can put on the trim. (The blue chalk lines mark nails- I nailed three times- it sucks to drill into one).

Attachments

• Day Three 005.jpg
    Day Three 005.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 297
lol maan that drill bit is sweet. those are some big nails too looking good though i betcha that would get sore on the arms especially with a 3 lbs hammer. lol hand saw though your doin it the old fashioned way nails and a handsaw coulda just stuck rebar right down through into the ground keep er from going anywhere

Lookin' Good!..

Wow Nanci, that's lookin' great! Is this a relocation project, are you joining the two, or is it just for "more" Torts".? At any rate , that's going to be great!..

Marshall, this is for the two box turtles that I have housed in my front yard in a 4x8 ghetto pen. It's ok- has a little pond, nice plants in the summer, but I want them to have a nicer place.

This is 20" tall above ground, with one 4x4 underground.

Day Four! I've put the trim on, and bought some supplies for the pond and the garden. Those bricks are going to hold down the pond liner, even with ground level.

Attachments

• Day Four 001.jpg
    Day Four 001.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 267
Here's a close up of the trim. It's wide enough to sit on anywhere around the pen.

Attachments

• Day Four 002.jpg
    Day Four 002.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 267
Now I am working on the Strawberry Garden. CS.com member Piper has offered to send me strawberry starts for the boxies. Strawberries are the only non-animal food they have ever taken. Now they can grow their own! To kill off the sod and prevent weeds, I have layered the ground with newspaper and covered that with weed cloth.

Attachments

• Day Four 004.jpg
    Day Four 004.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 256
Here are the two beds. You can see my supervisor sitting on the table. Apparently if _I'm_ on vacation, Isabel expects to be on vacation, too.

Attachments

• Day Four 006.jpg
    Day Four 006.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 255
Back