• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

You mean "yard?" It's five acres. I love it. I went for land, not house. I'm off for a week, and even have the next Monday off, but will probably not take it off.

You mean "yard?" It's five acres. I love it. I went for land, not house. I'm off for a week, and even have the next Monday off, but will probably not take it off.

Yard, garden, same difference. Oh and nice, my Aunt has 20 acres of land at her chateaux, I love going, I can explore for hours, plus I sneak into other people's land, lol.

Sounds nice, will it take you the full week to finish it?

It will take weeks to finish. I'll be lucky to have the whole "box" done in a week. Then there's the irrigation, the pond and fountain, the log pile, the hibernaculum/rain shelter, the strawberry terrace, all the planting...The patio, the lighting, the furniture :)

Status as of Sunday, 9:30 AM: The first row is in. I have to go to the store to get drip irrigation hose- I want to bury it while the ground next to the first row is open.

Attachments

• Boxie Pen Day Two.jpg
    Boxie Pen Day Two.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 349
Cool project Nanci! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
I think that thing was a grub that would be bad for turf, like a sod worm of some kind. Its head kind of reminds me of the "Potato bugs" or Jerusalem crickets but the body is all grub. I love that where others see a pest you see an opportunity to feed one of your critters LOL

I wonder if it was a baby muskmare! Probably not, I bet they build an egg case like mantids. Need to find out. Otherwise, I've seen some gigantic black beetles, too. Good thing I decided to go to the store- there's a big thunderstorm brewing, and I can't find my drill bits for the 12" nails- how can you lose big things like that??? Oooh, I rescued a spider and egg case and put her in Fort Tort. You know, that's what's going to be so cool about having the turtles out there- they are so interactive with humans- they love their treats and think every time I peek in they are going to get treats! The torts vanish for months at a time- the boxies are always out, always alert.

So Jen, I'm making them a sort of pebble fountain, but with about a two inch deep water level. How deep would you make the reservoir? A foot? 18"? Two feet? I'm thinking 4x4. I'll run irrigation to it to help keep it topped off.

New Acquisition!

Is there anything better than a new power tool? This is going to be SO much better than last year...

Attachments

• Drill 001.jpg
    Drill 001.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 342
1:00 PM: Water line fitted. It's raining now- so I can't try out the new drill yet, but I can bury the first row in the rain!

Attachments

• Water Line 001.jpg
    Water Line 001.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 354
This is how the line gets in. There is PVC under there that it runs through so it doesn't get squished. After I do the planting, I can easily find the main line and run 1/4" drip lines off it.

Attachments

• Water Line 002.jpg
    Water Line 002.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 358
holy you definatley seem to know what your talking about you're making some good progress i wish i had the room to do something like that. Are you getting any help with it at all or are you doing it all yourself?

Are you getting any help with it at all or are you doing it all yourself?

I'm doing it all by myself _and_ I have a broken right index finger to make it even more fun!!!

Here's the 2:30 PM report. Still raining. I have three courses up and need to nail it, if it ever quits raining.

Attachments

• Day Two.jpg
    Day Two.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 353
I am mad envious of you and your land. I want to build a Fort for Lucky the eastern box, but with rats in our neighborhood (Baltimore city "suburb") I am concerned about my ability to literally make it a fort. :uhoh: Don't want to come out to find my boy knawed to pieces... and rats will do that.

I bet you could do it by building the pen out of concrete and then using a dog kennel door covered with hardware cloth for a top. Maybe you could even hinge it. You could bury hardware cloth to keep them from tunneling in.

Awsome job so far Nanci, keep the updates comming!!Can't wait to see it finished!:)Just wanted to say that the grub you found looks exactally like our June Bug grubs!The skunks love digging up lawns to eat them!!:)

New Limiting Factor

The new drill is wonderful- drills through the PT 4x4's like butter. Ok, but my arm is going to fall off after hammering in three nails...I guess I'm going to go back to the store and get the 3/8" drill bit and see how loose the 3/8" nails actually would be. Current drill bit is 5/16". I do NOT have weak forearms- maybe the handle of the three pound hammer is too short. Maybe I'd do better with a two pound with a decent length handle! After I get the nail hammered in halfway, there's so much lactic acid in my forearm I have to use two hands- I look like a caveman with a rock, for Pete's sake...

Attachments

• Drill.jpg
    Drill.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 329
Back