• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

cuddling corn snakes

I never said it couldn't happen missy, just that it hasn't happened to me in 15 years of keeping them together.

It did happen to a good friend of mine so i do know and undrstand the risks of it happening.

cornman1979 said:
I never said it couldn't happen missy, just that it hasn't happened to me in 15 years of keeping them together.

It did happen to a good friend of mine so i do know and undrstand the risks of it happening.

oh no i wasnt saying that you were saying that it never happens, i just thought considering everyone seemed to have replied to this thread that i would throw my little story in too.
:)

cornman1979 said:
I know missy i realised after i repled. My appologies for any upset caused.

no no cornman, its okay, it really is, i wasnt upset at all, i thought maybe i had upset you. LOL.
its so easy to misunderstand when its through writing, never mind though.

also, never feed together, and always keep seperated for at least 30 minutes, that is what I do anyway, and by that time, they dont want anythign to do with food or nothign, just sleeping.

darkpbstar i told you that didn't i about the 30 min after feeding? I know i told someone on here, but it could have been in the chat room. Is anyone else getting fed up with this debate? I know i'm getting tired or it now.

Missy where did you get your large custom viv from? I love the look of it, and i'm from the UK so courier shouldn't be a problem.

cornman1979 said:
Missy where did you get your large custom viv from? I love the look of it, and i'm from the UK so courier shouldn't be a problem.

im sorry to actually say this but he has his own little business going, you know, i do not think he actually ships outside the uk, come to think of it, he does not ship at all, you have to pick it up im afraid, i got it from a local breeder and seller though.

I'm from lancs in northwest england. If he's outside the northwest though i couldn't get their (I can't drive).
Thanks for the reply though.

cornman1979 said:
I'm from lancs in northwest england. If he's outside the northwest though i couldn't get their (I can't drive).
Thanks for the reply though.

oh sorry cornman, i never realised you were from the UK, lol,
he's based in a town called bishops stortford, in essex, thats south-east england. im no good with maps so do not know how far away you are from us.

cornman1979 said:
In 20 years of keeping snake i have NEVER had 1 snake eat another in my collection.
cornman1979 said:
Yeah i started with garters at age 5 and went on to own boas at age 10 and i started with corns at age 12. I have bread the snakes siince age 12 (the boa's) and the corns from age 15 (10 years breeding corns experiance).
If 20 years is not experience enough for breeding and keeping snakes then i dont know what the hell is. Yes i started at age 5 in keeping them, that means i have been handleing and feeding and doing complete clean out for 20 years. Is that not 20 years experience?????
I'll keep buying the rope, I'm sure you will take care of the rest on your own.

I just stumbled onto this thread...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17196

cornman1979 said:
When i first started most thing i had to learn for myself so it's good to have a place like this, which didn't exsist in feb 1995 when i got my first snake.
Can't wait to hear your reply!

Cheers mate! :cheers:

How old was i when i got a garter snake? Errrr let me think!! Oh yeah i was 5 year old. Now how do i know that? because Quigs gave it to me (yeah of course he did).

I got my first corn in 95 Quigs. and my first garter in 85.

You do the mathes and see how many years that adds up to and post the total amount of years.

Quigs said:

Seems to be some fabrication of experience here.
It DOES say first snake and all.
That looks like nine years (can't really count 2005...we are only 14 days in)

Of course that garter snake you found in the shed when you were 6 months old counts as a LIFETIME of experience.

I have a 5 year old...does she have experience...YES...enough to understand how to handle the snake. Can it be considered "raising snakes" from the age of 5? Absolutely NOT. She couldn't do the day to day things that must be done, reliably, to keep a captive snake...and no matter what your recollection may provide you...you probably did not either...

Either that...or every time your garter snake died from miskeeping...you just found another one in the garden.

Either that...or every time your garter snake died from miskeeping...you just found another one in the garden.

Wish i could find them in my garden, i would be a wealthy man now.

Can i ask if you let your 5 year old change the water dailly, feed, do spot checks, or a complete clean out every 2 monthes (like i did with my garter, admitadly under supervision, but it was my snake and i did the job's required). so does that not count as experience? In my mind it does.

I guess it does...
If you truly did all those things...I guess it counts for some experience...
However at 5 years old, lack of comprehension is a factor. You may be able to physically DO those things...but as for the understanding of the workings of the snake...and diagnosing problems and behaviour...it is beyond the grasp of a five year old.

If you truly did all those things
Yeah i did, i asked m dad about it last night, and went throught my old records (feeding/shedding etc), which my dad wrote up back then.

but as for the understanding of the workings of the snake...and diagnosing problems and behaviour...it is beyond the grasp of a five year old.

You are probably right about that as well, but still in my mind, your experiance of anything starts the day you start doing it, weather it be your first roller coaster ride or raising a snake or how to log on in windows, it is all classed as experience.

I suppose I can agree to that. It is ALL experience. But the actual amount of experience may be misrepresented by saying you have 20 years experience...when you really only have, say, ten years of understanding.

Back