• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

cuddling corn snakes

darkpbstar

Does everyone here with more than one corn in the same viv cuddle together. I just got my second one two days ago, and the first day they seemed like they were just staying away from eachother and stuff, next thing I know, they are all cuddled up in the cold hide box, it was really cute. Anyway, do your guyses cuddle up together, or am I a lucky one?

my baby girls cuddle up too. very sweet. sometimes if i want to pick one of them up i have trouble untangling them.

they'll cuddle now...

but tomorrow one will eat the other! aaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! i would never let my hatchlings cuddle.

dugsy

Mine also cuddle. I read somewhere that it is not because they like eachother particularly but they enjoy eachother's body temperature and can tolerate eachother.

you mean something like this?
chockyblizzardcurleduptogether.jpg

Mine are often found like this and i havn't had a problem with canablism, but i know it can and does happen.

Cornsnakes do not have a reputation for preying on other snakes in the wild, although I am sure it does happen in given situations...I would have to deduce that most acts of cannibalism in captive cornsnakes is due to feeding...either through mouse smell remaining on one of the snakes...or feeding response being high enough to attack a cagemate.

Personally I wouldn't keep snakes together unless breeding them...but I have spoken with a Kingsnake breeder who keeps KINGS together...their main prey in the wild IS other snakes...but he keeps them together from birth...feeds separately and OFTEN...and has never had one cannibalize another.

yea, I'm glad to hear that other people keep snakes together, you just have to take the proper precausions, although, I guess nowmatter how you take care of them, there will be those mean ones. Yea the guy where i get my snakes from has alot of corns together, he sais when he brings them up from around 1 year old, they are fine, it might be harder bringing two five year old snakes together or soemthign of that sort. yea it really is cute though when they are curled up and stuff, and that picture looks really cool too cornman, those are nice looking snakes, I'm glad yours get together ok too.

thanks darkpbstar
The pic was taken after 48 hour's of being in together, they seem to hit it off streaght away. I wil be seperating them though come breeding sesion a the snow really is to young to breed, and i don't want anything happening to her.
As long as proper precaution's are in place nothing should happen, just make sure the snakes are fed seperatly and have 30mins after swallowing before being put back in together, and that their a close enough size to avoid canablism.

I've had my two for a month. They are clutchmates and I house them together. I have 5 hides and two really neat hollow logs with large holes that are meant for rodents, but they seem to really like them. I also keep the aspen bedding really deep, it slopes so they have plenty of burrowing opportunity.

The point is that they have LOTS of places to go and can really get away from each other if they wanted to, but they are usually together. I just poked my head in and they were both intertwined and moving around together on one of the logs. They usually share the same hide, no matter which hide. They occasionally burrow, and I left up their container to see them wrapped together all the way on the bottom.

They are only 3.5 months old, so maybe it has something to do with being young...strength in numbers??? I plan on separating these two later on as they are opposite sex and I don't want her breeding too young. My GUESS (guess only please note) is that when they are mature, they are more solitary but as young 'uns they are ok with each other's company (as long as they aren't too hungry).

My 3 big snakes are all under brumation in separate tubs just now, but normally the adults live all together in a large, communal visplay viv. Then I keep my little ones (4 hatchlings from June/July this year) in a smaller terrarium. I feed them all in a plastic box outside their home terrariums but I feed them pretty much at the same time. I put one in the box, give her a mouse...the heads not even half down and I give the 2nd one her mouse and set her down in the box beside the 1st...etc. I'll end up with 4 hatchlings in a plastic tub with mice dissapearing to various degrees at the same time.
Only my adult amel seems to not like eating in company, so I feed her last with the lid on the tub and when I come back 5 mins later, mouse is gone and tummy has a bulge!

I'm at the first steps of building a rack system, so from march next year or so, I'll have most of my corns, if not all housed sepparately. I was keeping and feeding my snakes all together before I know about cannibalism issues and it has never been an issue for me (I don't think anyone told my snakes they could snack on each other!!) but in the future I'll house them appart to remove any unnessesary risk factors.

One more thought...

Oh, I forgot to add. Even when offered 3 or more hides, they invariably end up in the same one...so I really doubt they find each others presence annoying, threatening or frightning. Just make sure the little ones stay well fed on a regular schedule and don't overcrowd them or it could be an issue. The only problem I could see with adults housed together would be a female being unintentionally bred, or 2 males getting territorial and fighting in the breeding season.

Are there three hides available in the same area, or one in each section? It may be that they prefer the same temps and that's the hide available. Anyway, my only worry would be disease. Especially putting newly aquired snakes in with established collections. You don't know if the new ones are healthy or not. Good way to lose your entire bunch.

I should have mentioned that a new snake need's to be quarentined, i quarentine mine for 6 weeks then have a stool sample exampled, just to make sure that their is nothing showing up, and when i get the test result's back, if it's clear (i have had 1 bad one in the last 15 snakes) only then will i put the snake in with another.

yea the guy I get them from take relaly good care of them, and knows when they have diseases adn stuff, and I have already learned my new snake. And he told me some stuff.

It's a brillant sight isn't it, knowing they get on great and "seem to" enjoy each other's company, this 1 is a favorate of mine
chockyblizzard.jpg

that is a really awsoem picture, that is howmy snakes are, the lay on top of eachotehr soemtimes, well one on top of the oteher. Really good pic. I'm going to go check on mine now. YEA

Back