• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you feel about God.

God is holy and will not tolerate sin, which is why He Himself died to pay for it. and He offers that redemption to anyone who will receive it. yes, to me that is the greatest kind of love - to die in my place, taking full punishment for that which I deserve and pay for that which I could never pay. and that is why I love my Lord.

Now, I do know a guy who was Christian and now he's agnostic. Not sure how that happens, maybe he was never truly Christian, I don't think you can become un-Christian. I don't know.

Children who are raised Christian, and I would presume in other faiths as well, naturally go through a questioning period, no longer believing the religious teachings just because they have been taught. Sometimes they are able to reconcile questions such as "If God created Earth in seven days, what about dinosaurs and fossils?" or "Why does God let good people die and bad people live?" Sometimes they can't discover an answer that they are comfortable with, that they believe in, and quit, for a time or forever. Sometimes people who have drifted away are called back by events in their lives, or just by observing the world around them. Or not.

Maybe I'm a "bad" Christian, but just because that is what I choose for my faith doesn't mean someone who chooses Buhdism or something else is "wrong." We won't know, for sure, till we know. I'd like to believe that God, or whoever is in charge, has things under control, though we may not be able to see the master plan for ourselves. I believe, and would like to hope that I'm right, in an afterlife of some sort. If I'm wrong, and I just become worm food, I'm okay with that, too. I just do the best I can, try to live by the golden rule, try to help people and animals at every opportunity. Not to guarantee a place in heaven, but because it's right.

Yes, people can certainly become un-Christian! I was a Christian, as was my mother, and my sister. Heck, my dad was raised in a Catholic all-boys school, but now he's agnostic.

Okay. The evolution vs. creation. Well, to me, evolution makes more sense when compared to creationism. I mean, the idea that we evolved from apes makes more sense when you look at how close we are in structure and DNA. Creationism believes that we were created by a god who made 2 humans. They those humans took an apple from a talking snake and were made so they could commit evil. And they Adam and Eve made lots of little humans and our race was born. Is that correct? Really, this creation myth doesn't sound any more convincing than the Greek creation myth that we were created by Prometheus, who was chained to a rock while an eagle tore at his liver. Then Chiron sacrificed himself and Heracles rescued Prometheus, who then preceded to make humans out of dirt.

I just looked up Hydroplate theory. Umm, I clicked on the first link and there's a list of things that were made by the flood. But let's analyze some of those things here: "Jigsaw fit of continents": Pangaea, they were originally one continent, millions of years ago. "Coal and oil": made by decomposed plant matter. "Major mountain ranges": Convergent plates that are thrust together (I think, I don't exactly remember the name, we learned about it 2 years ago). "Grand canyon": Large river that bore a hole in rock. Need I go through all of them? I don't know the answers to the entire list, I'm only a Freshman in high school!

I read the Bible too, last year. And I didn't understand why a "loving" god killed so many people! It is a very violent story. What about the passage where women are supposed to keep quiet in church? That isn't supposed to be taken literally, right? But then how do you distinguish what is to be taken literally and what isn't? Is there a sure-fire way?

Christianity does have good parts to it. I know a lot of people who like it because they want something to believe in, and they are good people. However, like Shiari said, it is based a lot on fear. My very-Christian friends are scared for me because they think I will go to hell, and they are scared of hell themselves. I would be scared of hell if I thought it existed.

Okay, so sinners that are "redeemed in the blood of Christ" go to heaven, I get that. But why, in the Christian eye, do I deserve to go to hell? What have I done that makes me deserve that? The fact that I don't believe in the Christian god? If I were omnipotent, I would NEVER send someone to burn in fire forever. So, say there was a guy who made this big, metal room. In that room, he placed a bunch of atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, etc. Good people, for the most part. And then the man activated several firethrowers that were conveniently installed in the ceiling to burn all of them to death.

Sounds horrible, right? But then call that guy "God" and think he's a good person (or deity). If you are a Christian and don't think I should go in that fire chamber, then that is against your beliefs--as far as I understand, correct me if I'm wrong. What would happen if someone actually did that on Earth? Why, he would probably be sentenced to death for his cruel torture and murder. But, for some odd reason, that's okay for someone to do after you die.

People always ask me who I look up to in times of need. I have come to rely on myself, and that makes me a very strong person. I am not bothered by bullying, and I firmly stand up for what I believe in. I am comfortable in my beliefs and self-image, unlike many other high-schoolers. In my mind, I don't need a god to help me see who I am. I am happy with myself and strong in my mind.

Wow. That was long.:)

Nanci- I very much respect your views! And that is what I do--I am nice to people and animals, not because I have to be, but because it is right. A society without religion wouldn't be totally corrupt (I don't think, but it's never been tried).

the whole issue with eternal punishment is that we are born as sinners, cursed by the very first sin in the garden of eden. none of us are good enough to get to heaven on our own. sin is in the way. that is why god died in the person of his son jesus, the perfect sacrifice and atonement for all sin. we all deserve hell for sinning against a holy and perfect god. but His love, grace, and mercy keeps those who love him from punishment and welcomes to them into eternal peace. this is the teaching from the bible. sin demands judgement and death. god's love keeps his people from facing that.

yes, this is harsh. but it is the reality which I hold to above all else.

I deserve hell, but my Lord lovingly and mercifully kept me from it because I believe in and follow him.

so by your reasoning as long as you believe in and follow god, you can sin all you want? it must be nice to be so sure of yourself. so by that line of logic hitler, stalin, cortez, dahmer could all be in heaven right now havin a good old serial killer party just because they believe in a sky fairy? is that what you're saying? no matter how much you sin, or how bad the sin may be all u gta do is say "i'm sorry"? it sounds to me like this god fellow is vain and shallow. do all the wrong u want to just believe in me and you'll be fine. i think he has his priorities a little skewed.

so by your reasoning as long as you believe in and follow god, you can sin all you want? it must be nice to be so sure of yourself. so by that line of logic hitler, stalin, cortez, dahmer could all be in heaven right now havin a good old serial killer party just because they believe in a sky fairy? is that what you're saying? no matter how much you sin, or how bad the sin may be all u gta do is say "i'm sorry"? it sounds to me like this god fellow is vain and shallow. do all the wrong u want to just believe in me and you'll be fine. i think he has his priorities a little skewed.

Absolutely not. Anyone with that mentality was never redeemed to begin with.

It's the love of God, His mercies, His generosity, His salvation that cause true believers to sin as little as they can. But if we DO sin, we have the confidence that sin is forgiven through our faith in the work of our Lord on the cross.

A true Christian absolutely hates his own sin. Is broken over it. Repents of it. That is part of the joy of heaven - we won't struggle with the heart break of sin any longer, as it will be cast away.

My Bible teaches that if I love God, it will be a joy to follow Him, to die to myself and my sinful ways, and store up treasures in heaven. And that makes life here on earth so much more meaningful. Love God and love people - all the commandments are wrapped up in these two.

The joy of obedience, of NOT sinning but rather obeying God's teachings, are the true marks of a redeemed Christian. Anyone who uses it a "license" to sin has never felt the transforming power of God in their soul.

so by your reasoning as long as you believe in and follow god, you can sin all you want?

If you sinning all you want, you DON'T believe in and follow my God - no matter what one says. You can't sin all you want AND follow the teachings of God.

One will either love his sin, or he will love God. They are polar opposites.

The one who claims both is a liar, according the Bible I hold true.

Look... I get it. I am in the minority. The truth and wisdom of my God is foolishness to those who do not believe. I am not trying to argue anyone into believing. I am simply trying to answer WHY I believe what I believe. WHAT the Bible says on the questions being raised.

My Bible clearly states that the road that leads to Heaven is very narrow, and the road that leads to destruction is wide. I choose to believe that as fact. But it is not a theory I made up. It comes from the book that is my standard against which EVERYTHING is measured.

Oh, and baiting me with "sky fairy", belittling my Lord, will not draw the reaction you hope.

I am at total peace with the truth I know. And I do not have to defend my God against you or anyone. He does that on His own.

I love Him with my life. I love others, even unbelievers. I will never resort to calling names or purposefully ridiculing anyone.

Could you try to be respectful? I'm not saying you can't disagree, but mocking people because of their beliefs is crossing the line.

Here is a question that I hope an atheist can respectfully answer, because I am truly curious about it.

With no view of God, of eternal reward OR eternal punishment. If this life is all there is...

What keeps you from simply doing what you want to get whatever you want in this life? Why not cheat on your taxes? Why not steal from the grocery store? What motive is there to keep the law? What points your moral compass? What is your standard of what is decent and what is unacceptable?

With no fear of final judgement, why not simply kill someone if they offend you? Or give into any desire regardless of who it hurts? What do atheists use as a definition of good and bad - since they do not believe evil exists?

Is it merely trying to stay out of prison? With no God to tell you what is right and wrong, IS there a right and wrong? Or is it subjective to each individual - one person's "right" is fine for them, while another person's "right" is fine for them? What if these perceived "good things", or "right things" are in conflict with each other?

That's the major problem I have for not believing in my God, in the standard of His word to guide my life, telling what is holy and what is evil. Without that, I am left to my own, fallible reasoning.

I sincerely appreciate insight into another way of thinking that I am not familiar with.

Thank you...

Conversely, will just the belief in God keep someone from killing people, stealing, etc.? Nope. I believe people are inately good, or bad, and can change themselves or be motivated to change by outside forces, to some degree.

Conversely, will just the belief in God keep someone from killing people, stealing, etc.? Nope. I believe people are inately good, or bad, and can change themselves or be motivated to change by outside forces, to some degree.

To what end? For what reason? With no God to answer to, what use is there in even determining "good" and "bad"?

What points an atheists moral compass? human decency, morality, love, compassion, sympathy, the list goes on. the only difference is atheists dont attribute these things to a god. atheists are not morally compromised because of their lack of belief. i dont believe in the existence of a god, but i could be wrong. the fact is no one knows. i suppose its possible, but i dont see it as very probable. if it gives you comfort then by all means believe in it. theres nothing wrong with that. as for me, i was never comforted by religion. and theres nothing wrong with that either. i dont need a god to point me in the "right" direction. i can handle that on my own.

I am very confused about religion and I want to believe in God but the bible makes it really hard for me. I don't want to believe in a God that has done some of the things that the bible has said he has done. So if I ever do start believing in God again it will be without the bible.

That said, some things that annoy me most is when people (probably mostly fundamentalist christians) don't think that people can believe in both the bible and God and evolution. You can and there are people who do. I once heard a teacher who was also a pastor point out that everything in the room has a designer then say that there are two theories and you either believe that there was a designer and the earth is thousands of years old or you believe that we came from monkeys (inaccurate) and the earth is millions of years old. No mention that you can believe in both. Plus in the next breath say that evolution is not science and anyone telling you that is lying. Obviously he was trying to push his faith on public school students in a way that he might not get in trouble. Stuff like that I hate.

What points an atheists moral compass? human decency, morality, love, compassion, sympathy, the list goes on. the only difference is atheists dont attribute these things to a god. atheists are not morally compromised because of their lack of belief. i dont believe in the existence of a god, but i could be wrong. the fact is no one knows. i suppose its possible, but i dont see it as very probable. if it gives you comfort then by all means believe in it. theres nothing wrong with that. as for me, i was never comforted by religion. and theres nothing wrong with that either. i dont need a god to point me in the "right" direction. i can handle that on my own.

I get that. I really do.

My question is this. What if what YOU say is good and right is in conflict with another atheist's beliefs on what is good and right?

Is there a resolution, or are you both right in your own way?

Suppose one person says "I feel fine about cheating on my college exam. It is getting me the grade I need, it's not hurting anyone, and in the end, it's only a piece of paper I am after".

The other person says "I study hard, I earn my grades. It is wrong to cheat, because you are taking away from the hard work of others but getting the same grade".

Which atheist is correct? What one person believes is human and decent and right is opposite of what the other believes is human and decent and right.

I am not trying to paint anyone into a corner, I promise. I question my faith all the time, wanting to be sure I am on the right path. Nothing else makes sense to me aside from the God of the Bible.

These are questions I have all the time. Why is one person right over the other? Or does it not even matter?

I think that each person is right in their own way. There is never a single right answer to anything. If you believe that something is true, then it is, because you believe the other is false. Like, I believe that evolution is true, and creationism is not, whereas knox, you have the opposite view. You are correct that God created us because that is what you believe, and I am correct that we are all result of natural processes because that is what I believe. I'm not sure if that makes sense in the way I typed it, but it does to me. It's like, I don't believe in Hell, so I don't believe I can go there because it does not exist. You can't go somewhere that doesn't exist. Others do believe it exists, and since they do believe that it exists it automatically does. They could go there, because them believing it to exist causes it to exist. I think I'm delving more into philosophy now.
I don't believe that bopping rats should be an excepted method to cull them, but I have no issue bopping mice. I can't even answer that one myself, and I'm the one who has a problem with it! haha.

I am very confused about religion and I want to believe in God but the bible makes it really hard for me. I don't want to believe in a God that has done some of the things that the bible has said he has done. So if I ever do start believing in God again it will be without the bible.

Many people believe in "a" God.

To me, the only God that makes sense is the God of the Bible. I know no other book that has stood the test of time in both prophecies written and fulfilled.

As far as evolution, if I believed in evolution, I would be calling my God, who breathed the book of Genesis to Moses to write, a liar. If my God tells me the universe was created in 6 days (yom is the Hebrew word for 24 hour solar day), I have to take Him at His word. He was very specific about including "Evening and Morning" as well.

As for the days being "periods of time", that doesn't jive, either. If a day in Genesis is eons long, then God created the trees and grasses on a day 3, and the sun, moon and stars on day 4. Photosynthesis doesn't work without the Sun. But vegetation is fine going one day without the sun. However, if day 3 were a gradual, million + year time span, how did the vegetation survive until day 4 when the celestial bodies were created?

This, to me, clearly shows a 6 day literal creation in the Bible.

I hope that clears things up a bit from the Creationism perspective.

Again, NOT trying to convince anyone - simply stating the other side for you to read.

Here is a question that I hope an atheist can respectfully answer, because I am truly curious about it.

With no view of God, of eternal reward OR eternal punishment. If this life is all there is...

What keeps you from simply doing what you want to get whatever you want in this life? Why not cheat on your taxes? Why not steal from the grocery store? What motive is there to keep the law? What points your moral compass? What is your standard of what is decent and what is unacceptable?

With no fear of final judgement, why not simply kill someone if they offend you? Or give into any desire regardless of who it hurts? What do atheists use as a definition of good and bad - since they do not believe evil exists?

Is it merely trying to stay out of prison? With no God to tell you what is right and wrong, IS there a right and wrong? Or is it subjective to each individual - one person's "right" is fine for them, while another person's "right" is fine for them? What if these perceived "good things", or "right things" are in conflict with each other?

That's the major problem I have for not believing in my God, in the standard of His word to guide my life, telling what is holy and what is evil. Without that, I am left to my own, fallible reasoning.

I sincerely appreciate insight into another way of thinking that I am not familiar with.

Thank you...
Personally I just try to put myself in the other persons place and try to feel what they feel. If I imagine that it would make someone feel bad I don't do it. I think everyone has a conscience no matter if they believe in God or not. Plus society does play a role and the way you were brought up. This is why even though I am not sure about God I still think abortion is wrong but I think gay marriage should be legal (it doesn't hurt anyone).

As a christian would you believe someone like Robin Hood would be bad because he steals even though he gives the money away to the poor?
That might sound rhetorical but really its not. I'm genuinely interested.

I would not think that Robin Hood would be bad in my personal opinion because while he might be hurting one person a little (unless he steals everything then he's hurting them a lot) he is helping a lot of people a lot.

Back