• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Little Cobra That Could: A Drama

BRAAAAAINS, THIS THREAD WANTS BRAAAAAAAAINSSSS
night-of-the-living-dead.jpg

I have taken the time to read through this post and so would like to make a few observations.

This snake is indeed a Hoggie, classified as being a rear fanged mildly venemous snake with venom regarded as being inconsequential to man.
I am no Hoggie expert, but to refer to it as a "Puff Adder" could have deadly implications. The "Puff Adder" (Bitis arietans arietans), is a highly venomous individual with a bite which is deadly to man.

Lastly, a mop handle against a Cobra would result in a deadly duel, with the Cobra having the greater chance of being the victor.

This has been thusfar an excellent post with many interesting viewpoints, and I hope that no offence has been caused or taken by my observations.

Ciao

I also have a Western Hoggie, and he is by far the CUTEST snake I've ever seen! He's almost 2 now, and has lost his "I'm a big, bad, FIERCE monster" routine. Now he just gets grumpy and gives me a little hiss if I disturb him when he doesn't wanna. When he was still a hatchling and wasn't convinced I wasn't going to eat him, I did get bumped here and there. No actual bites. Just one heck of a show, although he never went to full neck-spread mode.

I'm hoping to find a girlfriend for him this year, although I think any breeding I do will be at least a year away. I know this is a bit OT, but does anyone have pics of a green hoggie? I've heard of them, and suspect my boy may be one, or maybe het, but I can't find any pics of a green to compare him to. His browns are definitely more olive than other Westerns I've seen. Any help would be appreciated :)

That is absolutely adorable. :D I'm getting a hognose (Western) this month, and my roommate & I were joking about making her play dead... I hear they don't often do it in captivity, but I soooooo want to witness that firsthand!

That is absolutely adorable. :D I'm getting a hognose (Western) this month, and my roommate & I were joking about making her play dead... I hear they don't often do it in captivity, but I soooooo want to witness that firsthand!
As cute as it is, you probably don't... they also expel their cloaca and any "stuff" that may be in it to further make the "I'm dead and decaying" point... :puke01:

As cute as it is, you probably don't... they also expel their cloaca and any "stuff" that may be in it to further make the "I'm dead and decaying" point... :puke01:

That sounds lovely....... :nope:

Mine never played dead, but when she was a wee thing she would play cobra at me. Very very intimidating, a 5" worm flattening out and charging you! ;)

Mine gave me a different show. He wouldn't charge, but he'd "S" coil himself up so high he had to prop himself against the glass to keep from falling over! He never flattened out his neck entirely, but boy did he puff those little cheeks out to give himself a viperish head!

Mine gave me a different show. He wouldn't charge, but he'd "S" coil himself up so high he had to prop himself against the glass to keep from falling over! He never flattened out his neck entirely, but boy did he puff those little cheeks out to give himself a viperish head!
Reminds me of this...
I forgot who's photo this is, so please post if it's you!
Fred Ginger Ivy11.JPG

Back