• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2 snakes, 1 cage?

O I know,I got his point. I dont know if Patches did or not though. His point was just because you can abuse your pets and they are still healthy doesnt make it right.

if you guys can't realize sarcasm when i say that if snakes are stressed they should learn to communicate with us better, or that dogs willingly let us kick them in exchange for human comforts, then all of my humor will be lost on you.

Is it not possible to stop the war?Remember we live in aa free country and have the right to our opinons.

if you guys can't realize sarcasm when i say that if snakes are stressed they should learn to communicate with us better, or that dogs willingly let us kick them in exchange for human comforts, then all of my humor will be lost on you.

Well you seem to blame every thing on humar, you can only use that for so long. It seems you just find this whole thing a joke, then get mad when some one disagrees with you. At this point I am finding it hard to see when your joking and when your not because one min your mad then suddenly your joking. There is now "lol" or "haha" or "hehe" , nothing so how can we tell when your joking when you snap back and forth from mad to "joking". I did not see in any way how you could have been joking.

this is just a conditioning trait. the dog has learned that he lets you kick him, he gets to eat, stay in the warm house and sit on your couch when you're not there. you can't apply human traits to other animals. like breathing and living. they're animals, not people!!!!

Really, please tell me how this in any way is "joking? I just dont see it. It seems to me like you just find this whole thread a joke and you are intentionally trying to instigate the matter further.

I really hope that everyone understands that rexracer is try to make a point and that he doesn't really kick his dog.
I don't even have a dog, though I admit to being tempted to kick one of those little, yappy rat-dogs a few times.

I don't even have a dog, though I admit to being tempted to kick one of those little, yappy rat-dogs a few times.

:roflmao: I ssooo know what you mean. My dad has a couple small dogs and they don't shut up. Bark at everything. Atleast when I tell my dogs to shut up they do.

Waaaaaaay back when I was a n00b (lmao...by some standards, I' m still a n00b) this thread was what I like to call a "Zombie Thread". This is a thread that was brought to life, fully explored (heatedly in some cases) and then put to a dignified rest....then someone came along, dug up the stinky thread corpse and gave it life again, leaving it to stink up the forum, causing discord and negitivity wherever it shall be discussed. Shoot it in the head. Please. FOR GOOD THIS TIME.
I'm not saying this is a topic that should never be talked about...but this particular thread isn't positive. Never really has been.

That being said, I dont know why you newer people are being so defensive, your getting good advice from smart people. Do what you want with your pets, its your right as pet owners...but these people know so much, if they tell you something, its NOT because its fun to repete yourself over and over ad nasuem to people who simply dont want to listen. IE: YOU. Most of us have lives, and we dont need to "make ourselves feel important" by "bossing" you around.
They tell you because they love snakes, they want everyone to love them, and to have a positive experience. It sucks when a snake dies, it sucks more when its your fault, it sucks when they wont eat...you know. They're trying to help you (and others like you) avoid all that negative stuff thats actually pretty easy to avoid...with the right info.

This is the millionth time that most of us will have had this discussion. 1 snake per enclosure is the safest way by a large consensus. I'm sorry you disagree, sorry you got your knickers in a knot, but people on this forum can be a little...passionate. Get used to it, its a common tone. Feel free to dish it right back, but make sure that your not just getting defensive for no reason, such as the posts in this topic. Good luck with your snake keeping.

Yeah I wouldn't call it a zombie thread by any means. If someone started it back up again in six months or something then it reach zombie status.

I think Rosie is referring to the fact that this is a topic that gets brought up, time after time.
Stick around long enough & you will see...this topic will be back...

my mom has two corns in a tank that have lived together longer than i've been alive (i'm 26, in case anyone is wondering). one is a snow, one is a normal. they're a mated pair. as long as they have enough room to get away from each other when they want to, and they are being fed properly, no additional stress (plenty of hides, temp and humidity are good, etc) then there's no reason they can't. corn cannibalism CAN occur, but just because it has occured, doesn't mean it will ALWAYS occur.

use common sense and you should be fine.

I'm so calling Shenanigans on this. Shenanigans!

It's probably more humour. I don't know any more - Patches may be joking at all times. I think he secretly agrees with the general concensus. First we've heard about Mommy's pensioner pair.

I have a pair of T-Rex's and they cohab and they're 50 million years old. The female ran out of legs but that's because they shed them naturally. The male isn't eating them at all. She isn't stressed and neither am I.

Still waiting to hear how Corns benefit from cohabbing...

It's probably more humour. I don't know any more - Patches may be joking at all times. I think he secretly agrees with the general concensus. First we've heard about Mommy's pensioner pair.

I have a pair of T-Rex's and they cohab and they're 50 million years old. The female ran out of legs but that's because they shed them naturally. The male isn't eating them at all. She isn't stressed and neither am I.

Still waiting to hear how Corns benefit from cohabbing...
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Good one...

I just got done reading through all 18 pages of this thread and I have a couple things I'd like to point out from my own experiences.

First off, I've seen Cornsnakes being cohabbed. Not by myself, but a friend who runs a local petstore. He takes very good care of his animals, but due to space limitations does cohab quite a few of his snakes. He has three adult corn snakes all be housed together and they are, in my opinion, stressed. You can tell which snake is dominate by how the other two are so high strung. The dominate snake can be cage aggressive at times. The one female being housed did get pregnant last year (I think he told me she slugged out) and has not recovered her weight yet. Their poop is slimy and smells horrible, far worse than any of my snakes. I do not cohab my snakes.

I have several snakes of varying ages - 2010 hatchlings, 2009 yearlings, and two adult males. As I said, I do not cohab any of them and they do not exhibit any of the signs I've mentioned.

I can see how cohabbing might be necessary in some cases, such as when Beth's rack malfunctioned. To be honest I do not believe cohabbing is worth it. The risks far outweigh any benefit (I see no benefit to the animal, only to the owner and that to me is a sign of a selfish owner) I'd much rather be safe as sorry. Even a 0.1% chance of harm coming to my snakes is too high a possibility.

The animals in our care rely upon us. How can we, knowing the risks, put them in a harmful situation? It'd be like drinking during a pregnancy. Sure, some women drink and give birth to perfectly healthy children... but even proof of ONE baby being born unhealthy due to alcohol consumption during pregnancy should be enough to deter an expecting mother. I know if I wouldn't drink at all if there were even a remote possibility I were pregnant.

Perhaps a human life is greater than an animals to some people. But to me it isn't. I love my pets, I want what is best for them, period. If that means going to the expense of housing my snakes individually, then so be it.

Better safe, than sorry.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their information and taking the time to respond. I didnt realize I was posing such a threat on my babies health. Now im glad I posted that I house mine together, I saw the title and was just responding that I had never had an issue, I hadnt read through the whole thread and in turn learned that there are so many risks!!!!

I truely appreciate everyones time and patience!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their information and taking the time to respond. I didnt realize I was posing such a threat on my babies health. Now im glad I posted that I house mine together, I saw the title and was just responding that I had never had an issue, I hadnt read through the whole thread and in turn learned that there are so many risks!!!!

I am normally not so nasty, honest!!! I had never believed in co habbing, and never would have if it hadn't been an emergency. But after I lost Kelsey I just feel like everyone out there co habbing and just sailing along is bound for incredible heartbreak if they love their animals they way I love mine.

So are you seperating them?

Back