• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can corns eat hamsters?

Almase

Can cornsakes eat dwarf hamsters? I dont wanna sound cruel, but I have a couple dwarves that I have had for awhile. I think its time they moved on. If the corn cant eat them I'll just get rid of them some other way.

Sure they can eat them. Its not like a corn in the wild would think - "Hang on, your a dwarf hamster... your not a squeeky clean white moose so I can't eat you" :grin01:

Almase said:
I dont wanna sound cruel,

Whats you definition of cruel?

But, seriously I think you should give them away if you don't want them. Yes the snake might eat them but hampsters have sharp teeth and claws and you don't want to hurt the snake. Thats also a mean thing to do, IMO.

lol Montage

Well. My definition of cruel doesnt include feeding a hamster to a snake however, I've been to many animal forums and it seems like PETA runs them all. Everything you do is cruel to them. "Oh! Dont feed the hamster to a snake, the hamster has feelings ect ect ect" But anywho, I have no problem feeding the snake any kind of animal as long as its not something that can damage them or their digestive system somehow. Hell, I go coon huntin and if coon meat is ok, I'll see if I can heat some up a little and try to get it to eat it. haha.....Dwarfs are small. I think they are about the size of a mouse, they are just fatter and fluffier than a mouse, so I dont think it could hurt the snake anymore than a mouse can. I may bring em to a petstore if I can get enough money out of them to buy a feeder or two. But if not then I got food for two weeks. :)

FYI Many of us here think PETA are wack :cool: - And thats being nice about it.

Feed the hamsters. I would. BUT I would freeze them for at least 24 hours to make sure any bacteria was killed off before feeding to your corn.

lol....I can say some stuff about PETA too. Like I said, I hunt coons lol so PETA and us hunters dont exactly get along either.

Thats an idea to freeze them. However I heard before that freezing doesnt really kill the bacteria, it just stops it from growing more. Im not a scientist, so I do not know personally. Its better safe than sorry however.

Yes Skychimp, some kid would take them. But I dont know any kids and im not attached to the hamsters at all lol. Again, I dont wanna sound cruel to any of you. But when it comes to animals, they have a price limit. For example, I dont wanna waste gas money to bring a hamster to a petshop when I can feed it to my snake. If my cat gets sick then it better heal itself or its gonna die, cause I wont spend money on a free animal. The snake however cost about $80ish, so if something happens it gets a trip to the vet. But I would say anything under about $20 doesnt get any special treatment.

Almase said:
. For example, I dont wanna waste gas money to bring a hamster to a petshop when I can feed it to my snake. If my cat gets sick then it better heal itself or its gonna die, cause I wont spend money on a free animal. The snake however cost about $80ish, so if something happens it gets a trip to the vet. But I would say anything under about $20 doesnt get any special treatment.

Quote of the month. :grin01:

LOL....I usually get in trouble on forums because I say things like. But I was raised the old fashioned way. You dont take something that you got for free to the vet to spend $300. It just doesnt make sense at all. Now like I said, if its my snake it'll goto the vet. I spent alot of money on it all together and I dont want it to die....Some people are just too emotional when it comes to animals...No offense.

Hamsters are rodents. Cornsnakes live on rodents primarily in the wild. Feed your snake :grin01: . I would, however, recommend freezing them first...just to be safe...

yeah, You might want to stunn it first then freeze. And keep in mind that the rule of thumb is to feed a snake an food item that is 1 1/2 time the snake girth.

lol, just out of curiosity. How do you go about "stunning" the mouse? Just drop it in the tank from a high distance or something? lol I cought a mouse one time and stuck it in a little plastic jar thingy and shook the crap out of it, but I think that just killed it. (I shook it so I could give it to my cat and it wouldnt run away)

Tula_Montage said:
Sure they can eat them. Its not like a corn in the wild would think - "Hang on, your a dwarf hamster... your not a squeeky clean white moose so I can't eat you" :grin01:

hehe , the image of a squeaky clean little white moose is now i my head and won't get out.

I've fed hammies to corns before. I usually co2 them, freeze them, then feed them. Be advised that the average adult dwarf hamster is too big a meal for the average corn, they are about the same weight as an adult mouse, but much wider. So you may be better off just giving them away. Are they friendly?

haha Carol. They are wider than the mice. But they can sure the heck squeeze themselves through smaller holes than mice! Yeah, they are really friendly. I just dont think I wanna drive to the petshop JUST to get rid of them when I have a snake sitting right behind me. You know?

There ya go bull. Just smack em on a table haha. Maybe you can spin them around in a circle really fast like you do cats then drop it in with snake? lol Does that work? Jk. I'll stun the mouse :flames:

Friendly hammies seem hard to come by. You may get the pet store to give you several mice for them. I wouldn't feed them off, it is likely they will be too big for your snake and the snake will either refuse or regurge (speaking from experience) you'd be better off trading them for mice. I also don't think hammies would be as easy to stun as mice. I've seen mine take quite a tumble and still keep ticking.

Almase,
I would heed Carol's advice. I just gave you options but Carol has more experience. I would rethink this.

Oh, these two are really friendly. They cost $10 and mice are $2 at that petshop. I think I might be able to get one mouse for each of them. They can take a tumble though. Thats true haha.

Ya. I really enjoy the several colonies I keep. I have some hatchlings that refused pinky mice, but will take pinky Dwarf Hamsters, so I keep them all year round and freeze most the pinks for hatchling season. I will feed off some of the younger ones to the corns but by the time they reach adult size they are too big. Then if I need to get rid of them I sell them if they are friendly and if not I give them to the larger kingsnakes or larger ratsnakes. :)

Back