• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Getting tired of it...

I just think threads like this should be

LOCKED!

Chill out guys, what we don't need is to "section" all the members from newbies to older more experienced members, what we need are some moderators to keep a eye on the forum all the time, i mean rich is a great guy and of course he knows how to mod, but with a forum as successful as this i think a few more mods would be nice..

anyways just my opinion hope i don't get flamed for it lol

snakemom1961 said:
I know this may not go over well. But I feel it must be said.
To all those who have been hear a "long time" and feel you need the stimulating convo of snake genetics and "projects". I believe Rich set up sub forums for just those threads. If you are board with our newby questions I don't believe there is anything making you read our mundane questions and answering them over and over again...
Hmmm. Still beating the dead horse, eh? Still telling other people how to conduct themselves while condemning them for telling other people how to conduct themselves, eh? I remember a lot of replies from you in the jdizzyfizzy/Pet Corn Snake/George threads where you could have just stopped reading, but instead you seemed to follow him wherever he went so that you could tell him how to conduct himself...

snakemom1961 said:
Ya know, Jazz, you just pointed out in that one quote what makes most newbies feel as though they can't ask questions without ridicule for lack of using the search option, or having used it and still not having found the answer and coming to the forums for answers. AND still being accused of not searching enough.
This reminds me of the old broadcasting trick/comedy routine of "My interview with {person who I don't agree with}", wherein the 'interviewer' will ask questions and then take disparate and out-of-context quotes from the interviewee/victim to bring their point across.

I apologize if the quote you lifted from my post creates that feeling, in you or anyone. But indulge me, if you will, with the paragraph immediately following the aforementioned quote.....

jazzgeek said:
Does that make you feel less of a contributor to this forum? It shouldn't. Does that make you feel less welcome to participate in this forum? It shouldn't. Does that make you feel that you need to be "more serious" about the hobby, lest you be shunned here like a leper? It shouldn't.
Because someone asks a genetics or breeding projects question does NOT imply any level of "superiority" - I've previously mentioned that it's just a different aspect of the hobby. And those who left were those who could readily handle such questions.

snakemom1961 said:
Whether you believe it or not, those of us who are newbies but love our snakes and ask asinine questions, for the most part don't do it because we wanted to ask a repetitive question, but because we did a search and STILL couldn't find the answer.
As I've mentioned at least twice before in this thread, I'm at the "newbie/hobbyist breeder" cusp, if you will. I know what it's like to ask "asinine" questions, as I do it myself, and after not having found a suitable answer in search as well. It's just a different "set" of questions now. Not any "better", not any "worse".

How presumptuous of you to think otherwise of me.

So what if the OLD GRAY MARE left.there are plenty others who know what their taking about to help the newbies.
Please, re-read my post. My analogy is that the "OLD GRAY MARE" is this site, not the members who have left....

jazzgeek said:
...and they feel that the "ol' gray mare just ain't what she used to be", because of their departure.
As you can see, the "ol' gray mare" didn't leave, as I'm still able to post on this site. But some would contend that "she ain't what she used to be".

snakemom1961 said:
But it has felt the "experienced" ones sometimes do get tired of "newbie" questions even if the newbie DID do a search.
I don't tire of newbie questions, per se. Again, it's the quality of the question/post that matters to me.

sorry to ramble, and Jazz I'm sorry i quoted you but could have been many others who posted on this thread....again please accept my apologizes I was trying to use your post as a analogy for many posts on this thread.
I don't mind at all, no offense was taken, and there's no need to apologize. :cheers:

regards,
jazz

Following him? I don't think so, no more then you did yourself. I did as well as many others give my opinion when he asked for them and when they didn't sit well with him , yes I will be the first to admit I was one who let him know how that sat with me. But I will say I never once said as a newbie he shouldn't be posting because he didn't search threads, or was bored with the same mundane questions. The point I tried to get across to him was that he incited derision and arguements with his attitude towards opinions that did not agree with his.

What that has to do with the "more experienced" members being bored with those of us who ask newbie questions and want "stimulating converstations" I have no idea.

I know that's your opinion and I do respect you for that. I guess I don't know what more I can say on this.

PnyKlr said:
Newbies: You'll all get used to Jazz and his humor in your own time...and then you'll enjoy much of what he writes. :crazy02:
Yeah, like [size=-1]Beaujolais Nouveau, [/size]I'm an "acquired taste".

This is, of course, why I'll die alone.:crazy02:

Thanks, Jade, for both the compliment, and for reminding me of that fact. ;)

regards,
jazz

Yeah I agree with Roy...the horse is dead people

I personally enjoy seeing a new user ask "I just got my snake, my first, and I'm just wondering, should I feed it live or pre-killed. I heard pros and cons for both". She might as well just ask "I'm 16 and I'm pregnant, I get by on food stamp and my baby daddy is in jail for stealing air plane glue at the local wal-mart, what do you guys think, should I get an abortion?" Becuase the views and opinions will be all the same. There are hot topic issues on this board just like there are in the world.

Is it bad I started singing Madonna's Papa Don't Preach after I typed this post...I need help

George- read this post by Rich. Have you ever participated in an over-moderated board? It's a bunch of BS. If a thread no longer interests you, or you find it offensive- just stop reading it! There is no need to LOCK a thread. It will burn itself out, and everyone will hopefully feel better for having expressed their feelings. I appreciate the several twists and turns this thread has taken- and I have read each and every post- but if I didn't have the time to do that- too bad! It's just a forum. There isn't going to be a big group hug at the end of this- and if that's what some people hope to accomplish- IMO, that's not realistic. Ok- we move on.

Nanci

Rich Z said:
(2) The change in attitude and flow of this forum was commented on several times here. And the "between the lines" I was reading was perhaps that something SHOULD be done about it. And what would that be? Strict moderation? Someone to lord over such discussions? Which from what I also gleaned from this thread were often heated opinions about protocols and personal techniques in husbandry. So moderation in that sort of case would have to be someone choosing which protocol was "correct" in relation to one or more others? Well I would hope that is not the case. Differences in opinions are just part and parcel on any message board system. Yes, you can have a very tightly controlled environment with moderators sitting reading and filtering your posts almost as you are typing them, but excuse me if my memory is faulty, but from what I can remember, a LOT of people came to this site specifically to escape that sort of close scrutiny and overbearing moderation elsewhere. If I am to make mistakes here, I think I would prefer to be TOO lenient rather than not enough freedom for the members here. That does produce the danger that the bed you make may not be fit for anyone at all to sleep in, but really, do you all want to sleep in the bed that I specify for you?

carol said:
When you see someone pulling the rug from under people, your likely to take one foot off the rug yourself.
Now THAT'S economy of language.

And, if I may say, an instant classic.

"You must spread some blahblahblahblahblah....." ;)

regards,
jazz

jazzgeek said:

This is, of course, why I'll die alone.:crazy02:

Thanks, Jade, for both the compliment, and for reminding me of that fact. ;)

regards,
jazz

You are welcome, Dale. Just find solace in the fact that your snakes will all be looking at you and only wishing that you were only 1.5 times the width they are. They will know you for the Jazzgeek you truly are. :)

jazzgeek said:
regards,
jazz

And I thought Beaujolais Nouveau was the Thanksgiving wine of the masses...

Nanci

Nanci said:
And I thought Beaujolais Nouveau was the Thanksgiving wine of the masses...
True, but to many red wine snobs, it's too fruity, too acidic, has no substance, and by definition, hasn't aged.

{Insert your own punchline here.} ;)

regards,
jazz

I think it's amazing that everyone here is so passionate about this forum.. I didn't read all this, just the first few pages.. But I read enough to be embarrassed about how lightly I have been "smart" with some in the past.. I'll try to be more respectful of that going forward.
I love the site- even when I'm not posting I'm reading- believe me- and it's been invaluable with the care of my snake- not to mention entertaining.

This post should probably be required reading for us newbys, so that we can understand what how much everyone cares about the mood (not exactly the right word) of this place. (Well maybe not ALL 36 pages, but you get my point!)

jazzgeek said:
Now THAT'S economy of language.

And, if I may say, an instant classic.

"You must spread some blahblahblahblahblah....." ;)

regards,
jazz
Thanks,
Embarrassed...that should be "you're likely" not "your likely"... sheesh, typical Carol.

snakemom1961 said:
Following him? I don't think so, no more then you did yourself. I did as well as many others give my opinion when he asked for them and when they didn't sit well with him , yes I will be the first to admit I was one who let him know how that sat with me. But I will say I never once said as a newbie he shouldn't be posting because he didn't search threads, or was bored with the same mundane questions. The point I tried to get across to him was that he incited derision and arguements with his attitude towards opinions that did not agree with his.

What that has to do with the "more experienced" members being bored with those of us who ask newbie questions and want "stimulating converstations" I have no idea.

I know that's your opinion and I do respect you for that. I guess I don't know what more I can say on this.
My point was, and has always been, that we as individuals are responsible for the direction we want this place to take. The only influence we exert is through the expression of our opinions. I'd like to see an elevation in the discussions here, and you'd like to see George and others respect other posters' opinions and stop inciting derision. I'm sure there are people here who enjoy conflict, so they'd prefer that the expression of your opinion affects no change. Neither of us may agree with them, but we are limited in how we can prevent their preferences from prevailing. Do you see the connection now? You want civility, and I want mature discussion. We both have a right to try and guide this place in those directions. You tell me that I should suck it up and ignore the things I don't like, but you seem to think that it's ok for you to address the things that you don't like.

I respect your opinion too, but I think I've been misunderstood in this thread. All I wrote was that the ratio of seriousness to silliness is now at a level that I prefer less to what it was before. I didn't tell anyone what to do, or how to post. I merely expressed my preferences. I don't EXPECT anyone to give a crap about what I think. :shrugs:

Wow...what a thread. Can't we all just agree to disagree? In a community as big as this we're going to have disagreements - but we can disagree with civility (it is actually possible). And since the chat thread was brought up I'm going to borrow a line from it...

Now since we've all pissed in each others Wheaties can we please go out and get some pizza and beer or something?

~Katie

PtDnsr said:
Now since we've all pissed in each others Wheaties can we please go out and get some pizza and beer or something?

Im there, I need a place and time. Ohh and make sure they have rootbeer. ;)

Back