• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Burmination" question.....

jazzgeek

The Rule Of Thirds.
....sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyhow, I'll be producing my first clutches next season, and am getting ready to put the parents-to-be down for brumation, and I was wondering....it's going to be less activity, the temps will be cooler, and they're there basically to chill out (pun intended), so.....

......is it possible to use a smaller tub/tank to brumate than their normal tub/tank? Space is at a premium in my basement, and I thought using a 28 qt Sterlite instead of the 41 qt that they're normally in might be OK.

Has anyone ever done this?

regards,
jazz

Obviously I don't have any personal experience in the matter, but I do remember Carol mentioning in this thread that she uses smaller tubs and then moves them back once they're out of burminimination. I guess it won't be too long before somebody who actually knows what they're talking about responds to this thread, though. ;)

I do this myself, Dale. I have limited space where I can get decent brumation temps, so I put most of my brumating snakes in 15qt Sterilite tubs. Heck, most of my adults are normally in 32qt, so your plan to go to 28qt shouldn't be a problem at all. :)

CARattler40 said:
Obviously I don't have any personal experience in the matter, but I do remember Carol mentioning in this thread
Gee, and I responded to that thread. I guess I shoulda read it and not just respond to the purty picture.
that she uses smaller tubs and then moves them back once they're out of burminimination.
:roflmao:

"Burminimination" reminds me of that late 60s classic, "Mah-nuh mah-nuh"....

I guess it won't be too long before somebody who actually knows what they're talking about responds to this thread, though. ;)
Seems like Carol already did. :grin01:

regards,
jazz

Thanks, Dean. Now you've got me wondering if I can get away with the 12 qt tubs that I usually use for my juvies/yearlings! ;)

regards,
jazz

jazzgeek said:
Thanks, Dean. Now you've got me wondering if I can get away with the 12 qt tubs that I usually use for my juvies/yearlings! ;)

regards,
jazz
You probably could get away with it. When I would periodically check on the ones I burminatilatized last winter, they were almost never active (temps: ~56-63). I feed many of my 300g+ snakes in 6qt tubs! (But 350g is about the limit for that.)

jazzgeek said:

regards,
jazz
I Bruminatalize all of my snakes in 12 qt. tubs... so yes, you can get away with it :)

Dale,

I brumated mine in 32 qts which are really only 28's with head room and they both stayed to one side. The water dish was on the other side and the aspen showed no sign of having been disturbed.

:-offtopic What can we expect from you next Spring?:shrugs:

dwyn127 said:
:-offtopic What can we expect from you next Spring?:shrugs:
Well, first we crawl, then we walk.

I really only have two females that fall within the 3/3/3 "rule" for next year, and I really am not into amels like I thought I'd be so......

One clutch. Maybe two.

But definitely one: J.D. my big boiiii Amel, and Mrs. Parker (last pic in that link), my "pinkless/peachless" Lavender. Both '04s, unproven (obviously), and both with unknown hets, if any.

So that would be normals, het opal.

If I'm ambitious enought to try to double clutch her, I may throw my '05 Dean-sized Opal, Earl, at her. So, Lavs het amel.

The fun begins in '08. Hypo Lavs, Lavs, Pewters, Bloods, Charcoals, Phantoms, and testing out some anery/amel possible hets are slated for then.

regards,
jazz

My adults are in a 31qt year round, so as Dean said it should be no problem with 28qt containers. You could also brumate your females together. With the temps lowered there are rarely any "cohab" issues housing them together for brumation. I would not recommend housing sexual pairs together, I have heard it rumored to actually reduce the possibility of a successful mating. Not proven in corns, but it is believed to be true in mexicana and alterna, and I do not see why it would not be similar in guttata.

*fashionably late*

Yep, I brumate in smaller tubs because even if I brumate in the winter, I can't always count on the temps to stay cold. It's not unheard of for us to have a "freak week" of 70-80 degree temps in Dec, Jan, or Feb. Last year one of those weeks was enough to stimulate my corns into waking up and starting to cycle and I just about missed some of them when I brought them out and paired them up in January.

So now I have one closet that gets it's own air conditioning unit and they just have to be in smaller bins to get them to fit.

jazzgeek said:
Well, first we crawl, then we walk.

I really only have two females that fall within the 3/3/3 "rule" for next year, and I really am not into amels like I thought I'd be so......

One clutch. Maybe two.

But definitely one: J.D. my big boiiii Amel, and Mrs. Parker (last pic in that link), my "pinkless/peachless" Lavender. Both '04s, unproven (obviously), and both with unknown hets, if any.

So that would be normals, het opal.

If I'm ambitious enought to try to double clutch her, I may throw my '05 Dean-sized Opal, Earl, at her. So, Lavs het amel.

The fun begins in '08. Hypo Lavs, Lavs, Pewters, Bloods, Charcoals, Phantoms, and testing out some anery/amel possible hets are slated for then.

regards,
jazz
The 1st pair will be a good one to get your feet wet and yes, '08 looks like fun will be had by Jazz. Look forward to seeing the Hypo Lavs and Pewters.

Roy Munson said:
I do this myself, Dale. I have limited space where I can get decent brumation temps, so I put most of my brumating snakes in 15qt Sterilite tubs. Heck, most of my adults are normally in 32qt, so your plan to go to 28qt shouldn't be a problem at all. :)

I guess I'm with Carol and late to the party as well. Dean is such a copy cat as this is exactly what I use for housing (32 Qt. Sterilite) my adults and brumating (15 Qt. Sterilite) my adults.

D80

Pumilio said:
Yeah, he makes the family call him "Brent", too. It really confuses our grandmother...
Oh, great. Now we're gonna have another Vikings fan.

Pretty soon, he'll become Lutheran, eat lutefisk, talk about his days at St. Olaf College, and change his last name to something like Haargaarfaarbaargensenson.

Finally, he'll complain about how the accents of cast of Fargo were overdone, yaaah.

Then the transformation will be complete. ;)

regards,
jazz

Pumilio said:
Yeah, he makes the family call him "Brent", too. It really confuses our grandmother...
jazzgeek said:

Pretty soon, he'll become Lutheran, eat lutefisk, talk about his days at St. Olaf College, and change his last name to something like Haargaarfaarbaargensenson.

Finally, he'll complain about how the accents of cast of Fargo were overdone, yaaah.

Then the transformation will be complete. ;)
:roflmao: OooOOOoooh! My work group supports a couple of facilities in Minnesota, and we love teleconferencing with them. Not only are they nice people, but sometimes they'll say, in unison: oooOOOoooh!

I'm off to catch some walleye! :wavey:

Okay, I tried ignoring this thread :grin01: but had to come back when I read this . . .
Roy Munson from another thread . . . said:
Yeah, it's a good snack Chris, but they should leave out the pretzels. Pretzels are boring unless they're big, soft ones with giant salt crystals stuck to 'em-- maybe dipped in mustard-- or cheese...
. . . Dean just may be a long lost twin brother or something!! Too many 'co-inky-dinks'!!

jazzgeek said:
Can never have too many can you?! Of course you'll probably throw out the infamous "How many super bowls . . ." quote EVERY Packer fan uses . . .

Way off here! North Dakota actually has a pretty large population of German-Russians, of which I could/would be considered 2nd generation American since my grandfather moved here with his family to escape WWI. I'd rather eat shoe leather than lutefisk (that's my wife's side of the family!).

Yaa, you betcha! I purposely use the 'dialect' just to see people's reactions . . . especially when out of state!

I think you've mistaken ND residents for Minne-soooohtah residents. :grin01:

Pumilio said:
It's ALWAYS fun confusing granny isn't it?!?! :crazy02:

D80

Back