• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

I finished off Terra Pen Deck today. I've got about seven hours into it. The plans called for three beams- but I did two. It's a little springy!

Attachments

• Terra Pen Deck Day Two 002.jpg
    Terra Pen Deck Day Two 002.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 168
I like how the stones flow through there like a dry streambed. It's very natural to walk through there. I also figured out how to modify the plan to hide the ugly piers. I'm one board short, so I will have to pick one up this week. Instead of having the boards run lengthwise, which would be easier, I ran them crosswise so I could hide the piers. It made twice as much cutting. Looks kind of like a dock! I don't know what I'm going to put on it.

Attachments

• Terra Pen Deck Day Two 001.jpg
    Terra Pen Deck Day Two 001.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 167
It looks great Nanci! Isabel looks quite happy to hang out on the new dock/deck too. Or is she hard at work inspecting the spacing between the boards? lol

Isabel hates being exposed like that. She's sucking in her guts, turning black, watching the sky, ready to make a run for it!

Elle, I don't know if it's too hot for the Sarassas or not. So far they are ok. I know it's above their recommended temps. But the plants provide shade, and the water never feels hot to me. I have a pump arriving this week. Or maybe they'd be better off with just oxygenation. I like that layer of cool water at the bottom.

Some day all those patches of dirt will be filled with plants- just not this pay period!

Well, I want to build a pergola over the deck by the pond. That's a big thing, though, for one person. I think I can build the two end pieces and get them in the ground, then do the beams that hold the ends together from a ladder- they can set on the two ends to be screwed, then do the cross members after that. I wish I could just build it on the ground and tip it up, but that sounds even more difficult. But I think I can do it for around $100.

Then just some general planting and decorating. I wouldn't mind another watergarden. And I'd like to eventually have a third pen- I'm sort of thinking about Russians. At first I didn't want a hibernating species, but the torts did so well this winter I think I can handle it.

Attachments

• Pergola Plancr.jpg
    Pergola Plancr.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 148
I love how Isabelle makes little cameo appearances in your photos. She always seems to be posing nervously...like "make sure to get me from my GOOD side, please!" LOL. She's so cute.

Isabel's so cool. She went on the snake hunt with me Saturday. She was very good for the car ride.

I'm still in the process of taming my two baby beardies. They're so cute and they grow Sooooo fast! My little orange sandfire guy is already quite tame, but my little female is still in the habit of trying to escape my grasp at all costs. She calms down after a few minutes, but I just don't trust her enough yet to not keep a hand on her the entire time she's out of her viv. My little orange guy is calm as can be and loves to ride around on my shirt. :)

Hey, what kind of stone is that..flagstone? And did you have to lay it over a concrete slab?? Or dirt/sand... I love it!

If you mean the patio, it's some man-made stone, laid on leveling sand after I took the sod out. It's pretty level, but not perfect. In the turtle pond, holding down the liner, are big man-made bricks, the liner goes over them, then quartzite square pavers. At one time that was perfectly level, then the liner wouldn't fit, so I had to redo the configuration and I lost some levelness.

I started reading this thread earlier this morning. Nanci, I am in awe of you. It's inconceivable what you did in two weeks, and then built yet another pond! Your yard is a true paradise. And YOU are a total goddess!!

Yes the patio stones.

They look like a giant puzzle! How do they fit perfectly together like that?? Where did you buy them (and if you dont mind me asking) how much did they cost each? So you just put downa level bed of sand and placed them right on top? Will you fill the gaps with sand like a paver patio?

They are exactly what I was looking for when I rip up my old weathered wooden deck.

(sorry for the double post)

One more thing...approx what are their measurement? They look pretty big.
I just have to get them! Thanks for any info you can give me....

Lowes and Home Depot both have them. The colors vary from store to store, month to month. I have pale vanilla, the darker gold ones here, and some gray/rust ones. They are called Oldcastle Portage Stone. They are $5. I think it takes five of them for one set of pattern. I had to lay it out on the grass till I got the hang of it!

15-1/2"L x 21"W x 1-3/4" H
For building patios and walkways
26 lbs.
Creates randoom patterns that are natural and distinctive
Increased stability, the interlocking stone reduces shifting and expansion of joints

This thread http://tinyurl.com/3zdh2v has a picture of the patio outside Fort Tort before it got all planted in. You can see how the pattern goes. Wow, I've done a lot out there since then!

I dug out the sod with this pick ax thing. Then I smoothed out the dirt. Then I put down the blocks one at a time, on a layer of leveling sand about half an inch deep. They fit together like a puzzle. You kind of have to just look at the pattern, to see what pieces make a smooth edge. I plant flowers in the spaces on one edge, the other edge is pretty smooth. I didn't put sand in between, it would just wash away. They are pretty close, anyway. You could put crushed stone in there, but I don't know where to get it.

I love those patio stones as well. I'm going to make a patio as an extension of my deck on the front of my house. These stones look like a good candidate for the material I want to use. :)

Back