• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

Hi Nanci,

I've been enjoying your thread on this project(S).. I used to make my own flower garden around the house too.. before I left the farm that is... but just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed reading and seeing all the images you have posted... and I also enjoy looking forward to seeing more..:)

Cheers,
Rebecca

Mmm, blackberries!

Here's Fagalo having dinner:

Attachments

• Blackberry Boxies 002.jpg
    Blackberry Boxies 002.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 158
Krusty in his beloved pond, which he has destroyed by plowing through constantly. I'm leaving all that floating pond scum for the fish to hide under. I see dragonfly nymphs in there sometimes now!

Attachments

• Blackberry Boxies 004cr.jpg
    Blackberry Boxies 004cr.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 158
A view of the whole thing from on top of my AC: I'm sick- I just bought enough footings for a 4x12 deck in between the patio and the Terra Pen.

Attachments

• Out Back 006.jpg
    Out Back 006.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 159
And I bought four fish two days ago- this is their third day. They are Sarassa Comets. They'll get to be about a foot long and can live decades if they are well cared for. They may nibble plants a little, but aren't plant destroyers like koi. Horrible picture. They are named Halley, Finlay, Borrelly and Levy. And I bought one more tropical lily, for a total of four. I don't know what it is, it lost its tag. I have to wait for a bloom.

Attachments

• Out Back 003.jpg
    Out Back 003.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 160
WOW! This is the first I noticed this thread and just finished going through all 30 some pages. AWSEOME WORK! Those box turtles are spoiled!! lol

Thank you! I can't believe how much they love the pond. At first I thought it got way too big- out of proportion, but they spend so much time in it, now I think it's a nice size.

Thank you! I can't believe how much they love the pond. At first I thought it got way too big- out of proportion, but they spend so much time in it, now I think it's a nice size.
Your property looks amazing as well. I wish I was capable of building something like that. Or even a smaller version. It looks like you really put everything you had into it!;)

I'm working on it! I'd rather be outdoors than indoors, any day. I still would like to have a third species out there some day.

I'm working on it! I'd rather be outdoors than indoors, any day. I still would like to have a third species out there some day.
I really would like to spend some more time outside! Its so residental out here there isnt much you can do outdoors without a 30 minute drive. Price wise was it pretty reasonable to do all that, if you dont mind me asking?

The pond and all its stuff was about $200. The little deck $100. I have nearly $2000 in both enclosures, counting plantings. The new deck will cost under $200. All those patio blocks? $5 each. I had to really save up to be able to purchase the lumber for the two enclosures, (plus delivery charges) and then added the other stuff a little at a time. There are several trees in there that cost $100, or more, each. But I worked a TON of overtime, and holidays, and people paid me to work their holidays, or take their call, so that way I got some extra money. But my mortgage is ridiculously small, even at 15 years, although I have five acres, which I consider a good investment. So I don't live in a "real" house- I've been "house poor" in a 3800 square foot house before, and it wasn't worth it.

hey nanci, i wonder were you faveourite place in the world is???? lol
i would spend all day out there if i was you, (im sure you do anyway lol). it looks stunning nanci, you clearly have put a massive amount of work into that!

The pond and all its stuff was about $200. The little deck $100. I have nearly $2000 in both enclosures, counting plantings. The new deck will cost under $200. All those patio blocks? $5 each. I had to really save up to be able to purchase the lumber for the two enclosures, (plus delivery charges) and then added the other stuff a little at a time. There are several trees in there that cost $100, or more, each. But I worked a TON of overtime, and holidays, and people paid me to work their holidays, or take their call, so that way I got some extra money. But my mortgage is ridiculously small, even at 15 years, although I have five acres, which I consider a good investment. So I don't live in a "real" house- I've been "house poor" in a 3800 square foot house before, and it wasn't worth it.
I would pick property over a bigger house anyday. All the prices for that seem really reasonable....maybe, just maybe....one day lol

I would pick property over a bigger house anyday. All the prices for that seem really reasonable....maybe, just maybe....one day lol

Agreed. I would much rather have lovely property with an OK house, than a huge house that's crammed a half inch away on each side from my neighbors houses. I have to have an outdoor retreat near me at all times. It's the only thing that can really calm me down after a hectic day. :)

Deck Number Two!

I can't stop!!! After the recent additions of the little deck and the extended patio, I wanted to make another deck between Terra Pen and Inez's Patio with the border of flowers in the middle. It's a really low spot, with very lush grass, and too narrow for my mower. Plus, that will give me a surface to put something on for viewing Terra Pen.

I got the piers set and level- that took about four hours. That patio umbrella paid for itself today! I'd never have been able to be out there digging in the hottest part of the day without shade.

I'm going to cut the boards tomorrow. I've had enough for today I think. Although this time I did set up the saw mill under my garage tree in dense shade. It's got to be at least 15 degrees cooler under there.

Attachments

• Terra Pen Deck 002.jpg
    Terra Pen Deck 002.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 146
Only one casualty. I hacked into an irrigation hose even though I was watching out for it. Luckily, I had a repair part.

Attachments

• Terra Pen Deck 001.jpg
    Terra Pen Deck 001.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 149
It would blow away! My lawnmower tried living in a tent- it went walkabout a bunch of times, and ended up shredded by the wind.

Back