• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Danielle, and the forum...I am keeping Erricca and Clance no matter what. Maybe I shouldn't have got them, but thats a choice I made. It may have been uneducated and I know better NOW, but I didn't then. Now they are with me and they are going to stay with me.

I could re-home Sunny if his condition gets worse, but as glenhead said...what he is doing is normal.

So I will just wait and see. In the meantime, I will TRY my best to get another heat source. I may just have to get a full screen lid and use lamps...may be cheeper...but I am keeping Erricca and Clancy.

Also Emily you can get a small spce heater for your room[/QUOTE

Great idea! I *think* I have one in my attic. I have one in my deer stand, but that baby is staying there...I would LOVE to keep my toes this winter =D

I will have to make another attic trip...

What he is doing could very well be normal, but you, me, and anyone else can not say that for sure snakes have different personalities just like people. I imagine you posted this because this behavior was out of the norm for him concerning you so you asked.....

The thing about asking is you get answers you may not like though they have merit and you know this. How are you feeding them by the way have your parents agreed to foot this bill? If so explaining to them why you need a UTH and thermostat shouldn't be a crazy request since digesting the food they buy requires heat and maybe it could be a christmas present. While tutoring is nice it isn't a paying gig why not charge for your time that would help you a little and allow you to be helpful back.

My Amel, Sunny has started doing some...odd...things lately.

He used to stay in his hide 24/7. He only came out at night and would run back into his hide if I moved or anything.

Now, he sits in one spot out in the middle of his viv. In his viv, I have one hide and one water bowl. He sits against the glass wall right in the middle of the two ALL THE TIME. Literally, he never leaves. Sometimes I will think he is dead because he will be in the same position for days at a time, but he never is. Sometime she will have his head squished up to the glass and sometimes he will just be curled up. I have no clue why he does this and does not stay in the hide or anything. Also, he never moves when I walk by. I can jump and run around my whole room and he just sits there like nothing is bothering him. Its almost like he is sick, but he doesn't really show any other signs of being sick

I don't provide my snakes any heat/coolness at all so he isn't trying to get into the warmest spot.

My concern is that he is dying, or on that path. My other two snakes come out of their hides to lay in the tree's and such, but they move around. They don't stay in the same spot for days...

Could Sunny be sick and/or dying?????? This is VERY odd and disturbing behavior from a Corn Snake...

Not to scare you, but my hatchling started exhibiting the same behavior as yours, and a week later he died. Although, he also stopped eating, and died exactly 3 weeks after his last feed. He used to always hide and usually scurry away if he saw me unless he was hunting, then he didn't seem to care. Then he started to lay in the middle of his viv and not move hardly at all for days. I was worried about this, and mainly because he wasn't eating. You said your guy is eating fine, so thats a good sign.. I would get him checked out if, I were you, just to make sure hes ok.

My snakes are fine. Our house temps are fine for them. Many people supply their snake with no heat. In the winter, I plan to talk to my parents about some extra money, but until then I cannot provide anything extra for them. I can feed them just fine and take good care of them. Our house temps and the pure texas heat is fine FOR NOW.

Why did you start this thread? You were worried that there might be a problem. We suggested possible solutions for the problem. Then you proceeded to tell us there is no problem. I'm lost...

Yeah... you were worried that the snake was dying and pointed out that you do not provide heat, stating that it may have something to do with it. Cold blooded animals need a relatively normal body temperature, just like warm blooded ones. Without a reliable heat source for all of your snakes, you will likely have an unhealthy snake that will die young. Not that it won't live for a while... but as many have said, just because it can survive doesn't mean that it should in such conditions. I suggest placing a space heater in the room with them and working - VERY hard - to get a UTH.
Try Goodwill or Salvation army, where they regularly have heating pads (with the high / low setting) for cheap.
Your snake is displaying what I have seen many times in ill reptiles. Unlike mammals, who quickly become noticably ill, reptiles sort of wither away slowly. By the time they seem sick to you, it is often too late. My experience with my small MBD rehabilitation project has taught me that.

please dont rehome him if you dont know hes fine. if he keeps this up it is not a good idea to just rehome him to get rid of the problem and get the money to get heat for the others. i look down upon that more than anything. its like having a collection of boas with ibd and knowing this but selling them off anyways. we have a member here that has this possibility and is noble and is holding off her collection and not buying more until later down the road when its all dismissed. noble as a knight there. so please do not rehome until you correct the problem. then rehome.

I would second the space heater option. As long as the room the snakes are in isn't massive, then a space heater would work great! I was once in your situation, unable to provide heat for my snakes and was relying on the temps of my room, but last winter I got a space heater for my room and I all my snakes are eating, pooping, shedding and growing like they should. In the morning I turn it on and I leave it on all day with my door closed and temps get anywhere around 82-89F and then I turn it off at night where the temps stay around 70-80F. I don't use UTHs right now for two reasons: because last year I had a fire (and lost a baby corn) that may have been caused by it (still not 100% sure) and second, I tried trusting a UTH again and one day I witnessed it short on me, complete with sparks and smoke. I unplugged it right away and threw it out and I haven't used a UTH since. The space heater option is working great for me too!

Also, not only is the space heater a good alternative to provide heat for snakes, it will also come in handy on cold winter nights. Maybe you could talk to your parents about that?

Why did you start this thread? You were worried that there might be a problem. We suggested possible solutions for the problem. Then you proceeded to tell us there is no problem. I'm lost...

Cause glenhead already TOLD me there was no problem way earlier...I had my question answered about 8 pages ago.

please dont rehome him if you dont know hes fine. if he keeps this up it is not a good idea to just rehome him to get rid of the problem and get the money to get heat for the others. i look down upon that more than anything. its like having a collection of boas with ibd and knowing this but selling them off anyways. we have a member here that has this possibility and is noble and is holding off her collection and not buying more until later down the road when its all dismissed. noble as a knight there. so please do not rehome until you correct the problem. then rehome.

Okay...well everyone else is telling me I SHOULD re-home him. How about this? I will do whatever I see fit later on. It's my snake.

I would second the space heater option. As long as the room the snakes are in isn't massive, then a space heater would work great! I was once in your situation, unable to provide heat for my snakes and was relying on the temps of my room, but last winter I got a space heater for my room and I all my snakes are eating, pooping, shedding and growing like they should. In the morning I turn it on and I leave it on all day with my door closed and temps get anywhere around 82-89F and then I turn it off at night where the temps stay around 70-80F. I don't use UTHs right now for two reasons: because last year I had a fire (and lost a baby corn) that may have been caused by it (still not 100% sure) and second, I tried trusting a UTH again and one day I witnessed it short on me, complete with sparks and smoke. I unplugged it right away and threw it out and I haven't used a UTH since. The space heater option is working great for me too!

Also, not only is the space heater a good alternative to provide heat for snakes, it will also come in handy on cold winter nights. Maybe you could talk to your parents about that?

I already have one up in the attic I am pretty sure. Earlier in the post I *think* I said I was going to use it when it gets colder since right now the temperatures in my room are fine. So... all heating problems solved! Yay for space heaters! I love the one I have in my deer stand, it saves my life on those cold winter mornings.

Hey Emily! I am not here to pick, but I do like the space heater idea. Some corn snakes can live without heat, but they will not thrive. It is essential for them to have it, to aid in digestion, healing, fighting illness, growing, etc. Having them in a situation that provides less then nominal conditions, isn't providing them. Could even effect the way they grow, by reducing their metabolism.

Try to get them warmed up. Last winter, I purchased a space heater for under $30 at walmart, that has a built in digital thermostat. I would set the desired temp and it would turn on and off as needed.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12338798

Good Luck

Wayne

Emily because Glenhead said your snake is fine does not mean your snake is fine seriously you should no better. The temps in your room are not in the 80's so no your temps aren't fine either. Again you get flamed because of your tone and inability to take advice. How about this: don't ask anymore questions because you don't listen to reason and even if you did you have no financial way to make the appropriate changes anyway.

I already have a space heater so I don't have to buy one. We used it last winter in my little sister's room so it shouldn't create fires. We also bring it camping sometimes. We haven't had a malfunction yet. I'm not sure what mom would say about leaving it on while we are away. That kinda makes me nervous, but we will see how it works.

Thanks for the idea, thats what I was looking for. A way to give my snakes heat without having to spend a ton of money =) And a space heater will work just as well as a regular heater.

Danielle, I just measured my temperature in my room. It's 78.5 degrees. Thats not 80, but pretty dang close...

How about this: don't ask anymore questions because you don't listen to reason and even if you did you have no financial way to make the appropriate changes anyway.

I have listened to reason. I am using a space heater to provide heat. I'm sorry that I don't have much money.... If I would have known they needed UTH's when buying the snakes, I would told my parents they needed them. In the book I read before buying the snakes, it said lamps would work fine. It had a whole section over lamps, but not UTH's. I made a mistake, but I am now fixing that mistake... What's wrong with that?

Emily, have you read the Care FAQ here? If not, here ya go.

I have read it, thanks.

Be very careful with a space heater. The last thing you want is to cook your snake, or worse, burn down your house.

Yes, I am going to test it and make sure it works. I will put it far enough away from my snakes so that it doesn't get to hot.

Are you still co-habbing your snakes? That would worry me more than your temps being a little low.

Lets not open up a new can of worms =)

Twice now you have mentioned a deer stand. Which means you have time to hunt....so why don't you have time for a job again

Because I only hunt 3... maybe 4 times in a season.

So that would be a yes.

Again with the worms... this is how arguments and flames get started.

Whippet, don't put words in my mouth and get everyone started on if I keep my snakes together. I never said I did or didn't.

Back