• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Exactly the problem...in one day you went from the mid to upper 70s to 90 and back down. That is going to cause problems for both them and you, since you have the swine flu and all

I do have it, but I am almost better.

I was thinking... snakes in the wild experience constant temperature changes because the night is always cooler than the day so I think my corns will be okay if it is just a little tiny bit cooler at night.

Tara i can't help but think you are attacking Emily no matter what she says. You think she is lying about swine flu huh? Well In my AP Human Geography class (College level class) we were talking about swine flu and it is going to hit ALOT of people this year. H1N1 is not like raptor geese or whatevers mysterious arm cancer. Also Emily is new to keeping. I get the feeling you are almost scaring her away! You never say anything positive. The way you say things just sounds sarcastic and rude. See Tara you say you not trying to hurt anyone but you are making your self sound like another member here who has "tantrums" and scares newbies away! That is all
;)
David

I don't live by rep but by integrity. I don't care if I am on a forum or in my reptile room I will always use common sense and not go by the book if it is something i know the animal is thriving on.
;)
David

I have to disagree with David. Tara is passionate about keeping snakes and she takes excellent care of her own snakes and so it is frustrating for her to deal with someone who doesn't. Her post wasn't mean - I probably would have been a lot more harsh and blunt in saying the same thing. I have started to reply again a couple of times to this fiasco of a thread and held back but she is definitely saying what a lot of us feel. I mean seriously we (a group of reptile keepers with all this collective great knowledge and expertise to share) are giving all these perfectly good and logical reasons why a snake needs these simple things a UTH and a thermostat -and the response we are getting is a bunch of excuses plus this childish digging in of the heels and "MY snakes are fine leave me alone."
The good thing is that these are corn snakes and it is a hardy species. That's why they make such a good snake for beginners and why we often see these rescue threads where someone ends up with a healthy (in appearance) snake that was kept in horribly uncomfortable (for the snake) substandard conditions. A corn is a really hard species to kill even if you are a horrible keeper.

yes I did but it was people like Nanci, Eric, Mike, and a few others who used kind words to make me a better keeper. I am a newbies Rambo. I will fight for them more than anyone because I have been in thier situation and I want to be the kind words, the gentel hand, the one they can turn to.

Good for you that you want to be the champion of the newbies!! But think of it as "tough love" ;) If a few gentle nudges don't do the trick it sometimes takes a hard slap to make some folks see reality!

I want the newbies to feel like they can talk to me because unlikesome members here I remember when i was a newbie. Now a slap is when they are keeping it an a cardboard shoebox.

It's been a while but I do remember being a newbie and making mistakes. I am grateful that people chose to be blunt and tell me straight up if I was screwing up. This "be nice and understanding to newbies" has come up before - I remember a really prominent member here saying words to the effect of "If you want a care bearsy place where people will mollycoddle you go somewhere else" LOL I can't remember exactly how she put it!
Everyone starts here with a clean slate, the ones that go south are the ones that don't want answers and only want to be told that what they are doing is OK (even if it's not) Most newbies assimilate quite easily and don't get ganged up on at all!

I don't want any tough love, just answers in a nice and polite way. Not attacks about who I am or for every LITTLE thing.

Everyone starts here with a clean slate, the ones that go south are the ones that don't want answers and only want to be told that what they are doing is OK (even if it's not) Most newbies assimilate quite easily and don't get ganged up on at all!

After the other thread about killing animals (which was the stupidest discussion EVER) people still judge me and gang up on me about that. So I do not agree everyone starts with a clean slate. Also, think about this. If a newbie comes for advice and gets yelled at and flamed, they are more than likely going to just leave and go on about their ways. If everyone was nice and polite, maybe they would feel really cared for and listen.

By being rude to new members you are actually causing the snakes they own more harm in a way... just a thought.

Hi Emily (I am sorry if I got that wrong, but I think it's right?? :shrugs: )

I don't want any tough love, just answers in a nice and polite way. Not attacks about who I am or for every LITTLE thing.

I am not here to jump on you. Please understand that I am only trying to help. I answered you, in what I thought, was a very polite and informative way. I think a number of members have tried that approach.

I think your problem is the way you receive that information and respond to it. Normally, what will happen, is a person will ask for advice or an answer. A few members will come on and give, sometimes, varying opinions on how to deal with the scenario. Then the person can take that advice or information and use it, if it's reasonable. No big deal, right?

What I have noticed about you, is that you are dismissive about the things that "experienced" keepers will tell you. Which is a bit odd. I know when I give advice, it's from tried and true methods, that work for me. What bothers me is if you are going to be dismissive, then why ask the question in the first place?

No one is trying to attack you, just educate or assist you. Your responses can dictate how people perceive you, so remember that. I am sure things will go a lot smoother for you.

After the other thread about killing animals (which was the stupidest discussion EVER) people still judge me and gang up on me about that. So I do not agree everyone starts with a clean slate. Also, think about this. If a newbie comes for advice and gets yelled at and flamed, they are more than likely going to just leave and go on about their ways. If everyone was nice and polite, maybe they would feel really cared for and listen.

By being rude to new members you are actually causing the snakes they own more harm in a way... just a thought.

Now, I was one of, if not the member that was in the "stupidest discussion ever". One of the reasons, that thread, went on and on, was because of your responses. Something that I would consider "back talk" if you were one of my children.

I don't really care how you feel about animals or whatever, but when you air out that sort of thing on a public pet forum, you will feel the heat. Sorry, but that is a no brainer!!

Again, I have read this thread and found myself amazed at some of your responses. I have tried very hard to not respond, harshly. Actually, I responded in a VERY positive manner, hoping to help you out.

I am not coming on here to attack, flame or argue with you. I am just hoping that you will come to understand that it's not necessarily what you do, but how you do it, that counts. Because you are already going to do what you do. AND, it's not about what you say, but how you say it! ;)

I guess that the only real advice I can give you, is to watch how you say the things you say. Just a thought!

I really think that with a little time and some experience, you could become a real valued member of this community. You are intelligent and have an drive to learn, but you are a little thick headed. <~(meant as a term of endearment!)

Good Luck!!!

Wayne

I am thick headed...but, hey I fixed the heat problem. Its over, done with. All I wanted was my question answered... And yes, I am hard-headed but hey, its how I am.

I am thick headed...but, hey I fixed the heat problem. Its over, done with. All I wanted was my question answered... And yes, I am hard-headed but hey, its how I am.

Which is fine, because I am the same! If you don't believe, ask my wife!

I'm also glad that you have resolved the heating issue. I think your corns will feel and be healthier, that way!

Good Luck!

Wayne

I use a space heater. Granted, I also have over 80 animals in the room right now, and I prefer my own home temps at 85. I do have separate lighting and heating for my beardie, though, because he requires it. I also keep my boas in a warmer part of the room (about 88-90) because they like the warmer temps. You CAN make a space heater work for you. I haven't had a regurge due to temperature issues in over a year.

I use a space heater. Granted, I also have over 80 animals in the room right now, and I prefer my own home temps at 85. I do have separate lighting and heating for my beardie, though, because he requires it. I also keep my boas in a warmer part of the room (about 88-90) because they like the warmer temps. You CAN make a space heater work for you. I haven't had a regurge due to temperature issues in over a year.

Great! Thanks Robbie! That's all I needed to know in the first place :)

Tara i can't help but think you are attacking Emily no matter what she says. You think she is lying about swine flu huh? Well In my AP Human Geography class (College level class) we were talking about swine flu and it is going to hit ALOT of people this year. H1N1 is not like raptor geese or whatevers mysterious arm cancer. Also Emily is new to keeping. I get the feeling you are almost scaring her away! You never say anything positive. The way you say things just sounds sarcastic and rude. See Tara you say you not trying to hurt anyone but you are making your self sound like another member here who has "tantrums" and scares newbies away! That is all
;)
David

Not once did I say she was lying. Not once. It is a serious illness and in fact the 2nd Maryland child just died from it. I just find it suspect to be brought up in a discussion as an excuse that she doesn't have "time" to earn the money to care for her pets yet has time to cruise this forum and respond to this post all day. It's just a odd cowinkydink. I made no comment on purpose. And since she is sick, it's true that temp extremes can't be helping.
You are reading into my posts to have them sound sarcastic. They are the written word. How can one denote tone in the written word. I am however very FIRM in my responces. I am passionate about the animal and I don't care about Emily's feelings. Sorry...but to me the snake is the innocent victem and the child careing from them is not.

I know Tara is passionate. But the way she says things could be put nicer

A pat on the back and pussy-footing around is why we have people dumping their pets on craigslist half starved and dead. Emily ASKED why her pet appeared to be dying. She may say it's "fine" now, but she thought it was going to die. I felt a need to be an advocate for the animal. I really don't care if it was not nice...it was important.

When your classmates talk out loud or disrupt class what does your teacher do? Do they nicely ask sweetly for them to behave? What would happen if the teacher did? I can pretty much tell you...NOTHING. Sometimes folks need a kick in the rear not a pat on the back. I am sorry that you feel I am harsh, but if harsh gets the animal better care....then I am pleased.
I can't save them all...or really any from so far away, this is my only way to try.

These are not LITTLE things kiddo. These are life altering for the animals.

I just find it suspect to be brought up in a discussion as an excuse that she doesn't have "time" to earn the money to care for her pets yet has time to cruise this forum and respond to this post all day. It's just a odd cowinkydink. I made no comment on purpose.

Someone asked why I was on alot today. I said cause I am sick. Thats not my excuse to not having a job...I have been sick for only 3 days...Thats no excuse. That is why I have been online alot.

Tara, your view on the "life" of an animal and mine varies. We know that. Its just the way we are. Yes, I am worried about my snakes (not as much anymore) but that doesn't mean I am gonna be mean/rude about it. I value human life MUCH more than any animal life. I am not going to hurt someone over an animal. You are not that way, but I am. So just leave that alone.

Back