• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster...

Another theory on the hurricanes is that the spill will make them worse. Not to mention how much warmer the water has been south of the spill. Hurricanes need warm water. Oil slick absorbs heat, plus water in the Puerto Rico area is already in the 80 degree range. Perfect temps for tropical storms ahead of schedule.

And I just moved here last month! The most im used to is snow storms. :sidestep:

Well, yesterday Connie and I decided to cancel our reservations for a beach house on Sanibel Island in the fall. We were REALLY looking forward to doing this, but with the oil spill, we would be worried the entire time about whether or not we were just throwing our money away. What good would it be staying at a beach house if the beach is covered with oil and tar balls, and the smell of petroleum permeates everything?

So now I have a fight on my hands with the rental company as they are saying that I have to pay for the travel insurance ($450) even though the period it covers is mid September thru mid October. :shrugs: They want to take this amount out of the deposit we already paid and they will be refunding.

Good luck getting the refund! Sorry you have had to do this, and hopefully Sanibel Island won't be hit too badly.

Why do they want you to pay for travel insurance when you are not traveling or going to be there? Sounds like they are getting a lot of cancellations and at this point just trying to get some money out of it.

It sucks to have to cancel it, sounds like a really nice place to go and relax but I can see where you are coming from.

Hmm, this is rather interesting....

You know, you can find TONS of videos on YouTube on just about anything you want to.... EXCEPT, apparently, videos of the oil spill effects taking place in Louisiana. Using search keys such as "oil spill", "oil spill Louisiana", etc, don't pull up ANY videos newer than a week ago, and most are a month or older. Maybe I'm just not using the best search functions, but this certainly seems odd to me...

Yes it is very odd.... I wonder just how big this disaster will end up being...
Something else to think about... First contemplate exactly how much of the ocean this oil spill is going to have an affect on.. Not only the immediate area, but what about the ocean as a whole?? Will it have an effect on the marine life and plants of the entire world?? Then think about this.. What will it do to the algae in the ocean??? And then a fact not everyone knows... DYK that it is estimated that 70-80% of the earths oxygen comes from the algae in the ocean??? Now think about that... As well with the effect that this will have long term on all the species in this area, including the ones that use this land that is being affected as a nursery for their young... This has the potential to be the worst disaster in the history of mankind... NOW will everyone finally wake up?? Will it be a bit too late...?

I am not trying minimize the size of the disaster, or the trauma to the residents of the Gulf region. ~But~ I do have one comment. Much, much more oil than this was spilled in the oceans in WWII. The oceans recovered. It may take decades, but I have a high regard for the versatility & resilience of nature, and if BP gets off its butt & stops the spill, eventually things will be better.

I am not trying minimize the size of the disaster, or the trauma to the residents of the Gulf region. ~But~ I do have one comment. Much, much more oil than this was spilled in the oceans in WWII. The oceans recovered. It may take decades, but I have a high regard for the versatility & resilience of nature, and if BP gets off its butt & stops the spill, eventually things will be better.

Yeah, now that Connie and I have retired and are able to finally take advantage of living right next to the Gulf of Mexico, this has to happen..... :headbang: So now we'll be living within easy driving distance of the largest cesspool in existence, with the smell of petroleum products mixed with dead and decaying animals' bodies wafting through the air on those southerly breezes. Lovely......

I've been down to the gulf (NOLA) the last couple springs for continued rebuilding efforts post-Katrina and the city was starting to look hopeful. The change in one year was amazing- even the Ninth Ward was getting back on its feet. Now this...argh. I was with UMCOR and they were pulling out this year. Maybe more volunteers and money will come in to help with this new tragedy.
The people down there have been through a lot, and I pray they will get through this too.
This will have a HUGE effect for years to come, but I'm really hoping the wetlands, the ocean, and the people living and working around them can pull through.

Yeah, now that Connie and I have retired and are able to finally take advantage of living right next to the Gulf of Mexico, this has to happen..... :headbang: So now we'll be living within easy driving distance of the largest cesspool in existence, with the smell of petroleum products mixed with dead and decaying animals' bodies wafting through the air on those southerly breezes. Lovely......

Rich, have you been to the coast and seen the oil? Can you substantiate any of what James Fox said in his report above?

I am sure that BP would like to minimize this as much as possible. I am equally sure the Internet Rumor Mill will make it much bigger than it is. Those are just facts of life. If I thought the government was really helping with a cover up or part of the Media Blackout, that would really worry me.

A little piece of semi-relevance:
As I type, there is an ad on this page that says "BP Spill: Blame Obama? Vote Here Now!"
This frustrates me. People are upset by the oil spill and, to blow steam off, point fingers or express opinions in polls that have no purpose but to rouse up more anger!
If people could funnel their frustration into volunteering to help or working hard at their daily job so they can send a few dollars to the effort, we'd be in a better world.

Rich, have you been to the coast and seen the oil? Can you substantiate any of what James Fox said in his report above?

I am sure that BP would like to minimize this as much as possible. I am equally sure the Internet Rumor Mill will make it much bigger than it is. Those are just facts of life. If I thought the government was really helping with a cover up or part of the Media Blackout, that would really worry me.

No, haven't been out to Louisiana myself, but am toying with that idea. Connie has been wanting to drive out that way anyway. But I'm still waiting for my car to get finished before doing a whole lot. This has been tying us up for MONTHS now. With all this other crap going on, I'm about fit to be tied. You have to wonder how many people are going to suffer psychological trauma from this as they see their businesses, their way of life, and the reasons that they chose to live close to the Gulf of Mexico just all get flushed down the toilet.

As for the validity of the claims made by this James Fox, all I can say is that it is darn odd that at least YouTube doesn't have dozens of video clips there from concerned citizens taking a first hand look at the oil spill damage. But then on the other hand, you would think that there would be dozens of videos people have taken from a distance of cars being stopped and searched in that area. :shrugs:

Not sure what they would hope to accomplish trying to keep a lid on this volcano, though...

I know that some ireporters on CNN tried getting some video coverage and BP security kept telling them cameras were not allowed in the area. Even though it was a public area. They also had a fisherman on that signed up to help with the clean up and he said every morning they go in they have to sign two pieces of paper, im guessing nondisclosure agreements.

If I still lived in Louisiana, I would be down at the gulf this weekend taking pictures and video's, just to make sure I have the truth documented. I may ask my sister to drive down with some friends and take some pictures for me... though they live 4 hours or so away...

If I had the gas money i would go since im only a few hours away but I dont so im stuck where I am. It sucks though, this area was finally getting back on its feet and now this.

This, and now that Hurricane season is just around the corner. I have a feeling it is going to be a pretty bad one this year.

If the sky is orange, but still cloudy and smells like burning. Get out of Louisiana... Rich's scenario has just come true....

There are so many people down here to "clean up" the oil spill and they for the most part are sitting around twiddling their thumbs. I know because I see them every day. They are bored and are getting paid a lot of money to wait.
On the other side, there are TONS of volunteers here and there is a lot of cleaning of the wildlife going on. Unfortunately a lot are dying because we can't get to them quickly enough. The whole thing is quite possibly enough to completely wipe the Gulf Coast out. Not only will many people lose their jobs, they will probably lose their homes as well. I already know of a lot of people that have lost their power because they can't pay the bills. Now how are they supposed to survive? The heat index here has been over 100 for the last few days. Can you imagine living in that without air conditioning?
The effects of this are far reaching and people all over the United States will suffer because of it. Sorry for the rant but I'm on the list to possibly lose my job too if the oil comes here. Rephrase that, it's already here but if it comes ashore here like it is in Louisiana, I'm toast too.

The effects of this are far reaching and people all over the United States will suffer because of it. Sorry for the rant but I'm on the list to possibly lose my job too if the oil comes here. Rephrase that, it's already here but if it comes ashore here like it is in Louisiana, I'm toast too.

This is the part I am most worried about. Not for myself, but for all the people on the Gulf coast. Then if they lose their jobs, they will spend less, which means less income for other people, and so on and so on. On top of the worst recession since the 1930s, people just did NOT need the economic awfulness that is likely to follow this mess. It would be tough enough in good times, but there would be jobs in other parts of the country, and chances for people to recover from the economic devastation. In the current hard times, it's quite frightening, honestly.

Back