• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Little Cobra That Could: A Drama

I did and I apoligise for the coral snake. Yes the have fron fangs but very small and need to chew to get the venom in.. I have caught a few. They are slow and don`t bite unless you step on them or provoke them
No offence, but excuse me for not taking your word for that, based on some of the other facts you have bestowed upon us..... LOl

No offence, but excuse me for not taking your word for that, based on some of the other facts you have bestowed upon us..... LOl

Actually, corals really are very mellow. I wouldn't really feel comfortable free-handling them (due to the high toxicity of their venom and the lack of anti-venom in the US), but they seem to be very reluctant to bite.

thanks. another thing to remember for those who are interested. All 4 poisonous snakes in the U.S. have eliptical eyes. ( cat eyes) except for the coral snake. If the pupil is round then its non venoumous except for the coral which looks alot like a form of kingsnake except this phrase. Red bordering yellow can kill a fellow, (Coral) and red bordering black can`t hurt Jack. (kingsnake)...

thanks. another thing to remember for those who are interested. All 4 poisonous snakes in the U.S. have eliptical eyes. ( cat eyes) except for the coral snake. If the pupil is round then its non venoumous except for the coral which looks alot like a form of kingsnake except this phrase. Red bordering yellow can kill a fellow, (Coral) and red bordering black can`t hurt Jack. (kingsnake)...

Also all 3 vipers have triangle shaped heads and large heat detecting pits on there face.

Robbie your so precise.. Sorry

I prefer my facts to be facts. Sorry I also care enough about this hobby to not want people spewing false information to people who might not know any better. There is a very large difference between venomous and poisonous, and it is our duty as hobbyists to use correct terminology and make ourselves an example for others who might not be quite as educated.

i think its funny you think that since you have been bit by many of snakes, and even in venomated by a pygmy you seem to be a pro on all things poisonous (venomous). not to discredit that you havent been bit by all of them. i also have been bit by a fair share of snakes, and even garters. i do know they are venomous and also poisonous. but it would take someone with a allergy or other to get a reaction. just because its not lethal, or part of the pit viper family doesnt mean its not venomous.

. . . except for the coral which looks alot like a form of kingsnake except this phrase. Red bordering yellow can kill a fellow, (Coral) and red bordering black can`t hurt Jack. (kingsnake)...

I always like to point out when this comes up that this rule only applies to our coral snakes. The central American coral snakes (and possibly others, but I will only speak of that about which I am knowledgeable) do NOT follow this color pattern, so be careful about where you are when you decide to apply this rhymey rule of thumb, as it can lead you astray about what is safe to handle, depending on your location.

Ok well I just stumbled onto this. First off free handling ANY snake or other animals that has the venom to cause moderate to lethal harm should be advised against. It is stupid and why risk it ya know ;) Hognose snakes of north America (heterondon) are mildly venomous and do not usually bite. I have caught my fair share of Eastern hogs in my area they usually put on a show and throw a tantrum but almost never bite. Now I garters are also in my book considered mildly hot so I try not to get bit. I do breed garters abd the babies have little 'tudes but I really don't bother throwing on the wussie gloves. But my adult female sure I am cautious. The fact of the matter is why not use simple precautionary techniques and avoid any harm than put you self in harms way?

robbie don`t be mean. this site is for all of us...We all have our opinions. I didn`t say anything bad..
The problem with the interweb is anyone can read it...
As snake/reptile keepers we need to make sure the information we put out there is correct and not in the slightest dangerous to our charges or to our selves..
I only use sites where you can guarantee the info given out by members, and any miss-information is corrected quickly...:cool:
None of us wants to be associated with a mickey mouse forum... ;)
If you had put IMO before it...... Well thats another matter...

members of the Leioheterodon are not at all toxic to humans. Having been bitten by a subadult male L. madagascariensis during a feeding response, and a female adult, I can personally vouch for the fact that there were no toxic reactions to the bite.

Quote above is from a website ^^ Their saliva only "stuns" their prey and is harmless to humans :)

This may be from the beginning, but it's BUGGING me. Leioheterodon are only found on MADAGASCAR. So this quote is irrelevant, as the snake in question is from the genus Heterodon.

OMG Hoggies are cute! I'm going to go cuddle mine now.

Get 'em!! My hog is my favorite of all the snakes I've ever owned! I'd get her a boyfriend but she has an old injury which my vet thinks may cause problems if she's bred, so she's my favorite pet. :) They don't take up much space....

My mom said for my Birthday we can get a 1.1! I just asked her and she said that it would be fine because I am turneing 16. I am getting a male herald from my dad!

Back