• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

COHABBING QUESTIONS AND ADVICE

Answer to your question is very simple, if you care about your snakes you don't force them to live together, because they are solitary animals. Nature designed them that way.
My experiance is a dead snake from it, how about that?
Is that something you would want? Or maybe a stressed snake with a shortened lifespan? Snakes can BE stressed and not show it, because in the wild if you show any weakness it means you are easy prey.

I dont think I would go as far as saying that I don't care about my snakes thank you. I very much so care about them. What is a person who doesn't care about a pet? someone who can't be bothered to foot the bill for a vet when needed, who doesn't research to provide the best care and husbandry for their pet, someone who can't be bothered I would say. As for you and I, wouldn't so much as be apart of this site learning new things every day if we didn't care!!!!!

I dont think I would go as far as saying that I don't care about my snakes thank you. I very much so care about them. What is a person who doesn't care about a pet? someone who can't be bothered to foot the bill for a vet when needed, who doesn't research to provide the best care and husbandry for their pet, someone who can't be bothered I would say. As for you and I, wouldn't so much as be apart of this site learning new things every day if we didn't care!!!!!

Then please please if you care about your snakes, don't force them in a cage together. You truly do risk illness, shortened lifespan and death by what you are doing with them.

I have 100 gal tank. I chose two girls that are known girls because they laid eggs before, no chance in opps missed sex. Which can happen even to the best of people. These were girls that I had for a few years so I know how they act and react. The tank had a big warm area in the middle and cool on either side. I had tons of plants and hides and it was set up as one side mirrored the other side. So the same type of hide or water dish was on the other side.

What I found when the girls were given a huge area mimicking nature as best at it can it a tank, my girls never chose to share a space. They knew that the other existed and would even slither past each other but they didn't share hides or areas.

Now I don't recommend others to try this just because I had access to a huge tank, I knew my snakes inside and out and I work at home so my life literally revolves around my snakes so I can watch them. I let this go on for quite a few months till actually breeding season and one of the girls was bred. Now that tank is a divided tank and I no longer co-hab anyone. I know if could do it successfully in the right conditions but why. lol

Oh no... I see this thread has reared it's ugly head yet again...

Yes, it has. Now as long as we keep the ugly remarks from creeping back in to it, it will again "die" and go back to the depths from which it came. The poster who brought it back to life as already received all the good advice ever needed and doesn't need the same thing said yet again in 20 different ways nor the resulting argument that always happens between those that cohab and those that don't.

Not saying this from my personal beliefs but a lot of people would diagree that how most breeders keep thier reptiles in tupperwares on newspaper to conserve space is no life. I know all my snakes have a day and night cycle, substrate and glass to see out of.

In general, a tank is a lot more stressful of an environment then a sterilite tub because they can see out of it. Imagine if you were a very shy person but you were always crammed into a room full of talkative people- it's like that, snakes are very solitary, very shy animals. They like to be hidden. Almost all of my cages are covered on 3 sides.

In general, a tank is a lot more stressful of an environment then a sterilite tub because they can see out of it. Imagine if you were a very shy person but you were always crammed into a room full of talkative people- it's like that, snakes are very solitary, very shy animals. They like to be hidden. Almost all of my cages are covered on 3 sides.

Wow, I use tubs because they are so much easier to clean and so much lighter weight....but you are right!! I did not think of that!

I've seen beautiful multi-area huge vivs, wardrobe (closet?) sized, with healthy adult corns cohabbed in. They had tree branches for climbing, big artificial plants for cover and were like a zoo exhibit. Cohabbing in very large vivs is quite common in European keepers. Some of those argue vociferously that rack systems are cramped and cruel like battery farming. It simply isn't the black and white 'never do it' deal to me. I believe Kathy Love was going to set up a large cohab on her lanai before the move to the desert.
My main reasons for not building a huge cohab viv are that I haven't the skills to do so and couldn't face breaking down such a set up for cleaning

I personally think that co-habbing is perfectly fine as long as the viv is big enough. As long as there are at least 2 hides on each side of the temperature gradient (to prevent the snakes from fighting over a particular hide), and the terrarium is at least 50 gal (the bigger the better) it should be fine.

Back