• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Could my Snake be Dying???

so your telling starsevol to no speak her mind openly in an "open" forum. that it might deter others. well shes just being truthful and passionate. thats one thing that hasnt really been said yet that people here to get angry at others and flame them because we are almost too passionate about keeping our animals and keeping them to the upmost tip top shape and standards. people do make mistakes and if you look at a lot of threads, when they do they admit it and take advice and run with it to fix the problems.

not saying erica is not passionate, but she is a lot more passionate to hunting, writing, studying it up every day basically, schooling in general. not a bad thing. but might not be a good time to throw something else under the wheels that is a big responsibility. were not flaming her because we dont like her, we do, were doing it in order to get a point through and to try and help. im glad shes trying to get her animals set up right now, its a good thing shes taking the advice. i understand not everyone has the money to go out and get stuff right then and there. but we havent jumped into the deepend before we could swim in the shallows. she has 3 snakes to care for now without heat is our main concern. so now she has 3 enclosures to get heated. a space heater will heat the room and get them a good temperature. but it shouldnt be the only fix to the problem.

so before you tell others they should be more respectful. remember that this board is full of passionate people that are really here to help. it doesnt always end up in these long argumented threads with a lot of flaming. but after enough abuse people will usually crumble so i think that is why it usually happens. sorry to erica for any hard feelings.

on a side not, if you could put the snake that has that problem in a decent sized tub, and if you have a cable box or something of the sort, measure its temps. i put a tub on one before when i had a uth blow out. and it kept the tub warm enough to not worry about. maybe youll have a new cable addicted snake. its a temporary fix yet again.

sorry for the long post.

so before you tell others they should be more respectful. remember that this board is full of passionate people that are really here to help. it doesnt always end up in these long argumented threads with a lot of flaming. but after enough abuse people will usually crumble so i think that is why it usually happens. sorry to erica for any hard feelings.

I understand that. Its just that speaking from experience, I am a stubborn person and I know I will not be as willing to listen to someone if they insult me instead of respectfully suggest what should be done. I know that people have been doing both here. Sorry if I was being stubborn and forceful about it, I just prefer to keep things civil and friendly. Its better that way.

so your telling starsevol to no speak her mind openly in an "open" forum. that it might deter others. well shes just being truthful and passionate. thats one thing that hasnt really been said yet that people here to get angry at others and flame them because we are almost too passionate about keeping our animals and keeping them to the upmost tip top shape and standards. people do make mistakes and if you look at a lot of threads, when they do they admit it and take advice and run with it to fix the problems.

not saying erica is not passionate, but she is a lot more passionate to hunting, writing, studying it up every day basically, schooling in general. not a bad thing. but might not be a good time to throw something else under the wheels that is a big responsibility. were not flaming her because we dont like her, we do, were doing it in order to get a point through and to try and help. im glad shes trying to get her animals set up right now, its a good thing shes taking the advice. i understand not everyone has the money to go out and get stuff right then and there. but we havent jumped into the deepend before we could swim in the shallows. she has 3 snakes to care for now without heat is our main concern. so now she has 3 enclosures to get heated. a space heater will heat the room and get them a good temperature. but it shouldnt be the only fix to the problem.

on a side not, if you could put the snake that has that problem in a decent sized tub, and if you have a cable box or something of the sort, measure its temps. i put a tub on one before when i had a uth blow out. and it kept the tub warm enough to not worry about. maybe youll have a new cable addicted snake. its a temporary fix yet again.

sorry for the long post.

Patrick, Danerys is ok, we just disagree about this is all.
And I do see where he/she is coming from.

So tell us about how all your snakes are set up. The bowl might not be big enough to hold water and hides. Maybe your mom has a longer, rectangular type?? Are there enough holes for ventilation? I don't know how big your snake is, so I'm just asking, not flaming or anything. Also make sure that the lid is tight enough that there's no chance of escape.

My first snake, Erricca is in a hige 25 gallon tank. Two hides, water bowl and vines set up. Its really nice.

Second snake, my snow (the one who escaped) is now set up in a tupperware thing... It's huge and it is rectangular... It also has a tight lid so she can't escape. It also has two hides and plenty of water.

My third Snake, Sunny, is in a 10 gallon with one hide and a water bowl, plus some vines and a secure locking lid.

I see nothing wrong with this. I am waiting for my Dad to get home so he can bring down the space heater. Right now, I just have my window open since it is really hot outside.

I see nothing wrong with this set-up. I have already said I was getting the space heater, and idea everyone liked, and going to set it up in my room.

Also, why is everyone saying they feel sorry for every living creature that comes in contact with me????? Come on people!! Seriously? I am trying my best to help my snakes. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have posted this thread! I am getting them heat ASAP...s so get off my tail already!

Based on other things this girl has said, it's just how I feel. I am not usually this monsterous to people, honest!

What have I said?? I have said nothing wrong or out of line or rude or anything.

Ok, but let's at least try to "see fit" to do the best thing for your snakes...deal?

Again, my snakes have heat. They are fine, they are staying with me.

I just don't understand why it is such a defensive subject. Over and over again, not having heat was defended, then you said the snake actually was fine although you originally thought it was dying, then you lied about it being cohabited, and you bought three snakes in the first place, which would cost about $120 in any normal pet store, you have to be feeding each snake every week (which, in another thread, you stated that you raise anoles to feed your snakes, and anoles need UVB lights AND heat), and yet none of your snakes have appropriate heat sources. I just guess I don't understand HOW it is possible that you raise anoles without any money or heat / UVB sources, and WHY you would defend not having heat sources for them.

I am not trying to be cruel or flame you, I'm just saying, I don't understand how you possess all of these reptiles and their enclosures without being able to afford their neccisities.

then you lied about it being cohabited

I DID NOT LIE IN ANY WAY ABOUT KEEPING MY SNAKES TOGETHER.

which would cost about $120 in any normal pet store

They where $40. And two where gifts.

you stated that you raise anoles to feed your snakes, and anoles need UVB lights AND heat)

I raise them outside in our sunroom.

and yet none of your snakes have appropriate heat sources.
They do now...a space heater.

Busy busy girl does find plenty of time to log in and check this thread though........

I have the swine flu. No joke. I have to stay home and not go out. It stinks... Usually, I just go online on my phone while I am waiting for classes to begin ect

I am also allowed to get on during free time at school.

Emily I want ot help you because I remember when I started with snakes. I sucked at it. I had a littel sunglow corn snake that I kept in a 20 tall with a huge hide a little water dish no heat and a bunch of desert snowbedding. He escaped and then I came to my senses and started fixing her cage. I am now raising my second hatchling corn snake. I have 2 others that I got as adults. But I worked super hard and I redid the best hatchling corn snake cage I could and my baby ghost loves it! Listen to beth she is smart and knows what he is talking about. Salvadorian sounds just as good

Well give us the cage temps and pics. That pleases the crowd or put a smily face at teh end of your post
;)

Very good but those temps need to be about 83 at the warmspot if not the snake may have the food rot in thier stomach and they WILL die from that condition

... you really have swine flu?

Yeah, its going around our school and town. Its not as bad as everyone originally thought. It's just the same as the regular flu. So I am getting plenty of fluids and rest and hopefully can be back in school and stuff to. But it does stink being so sick. I'm better today though.

I assumed that swine flu really wasn't that bad... I mean.. it's the flu. But still, the flu sucks! Get better!
But yes, I know you didn't lie about them being in cages together, you just sort of dodged the question.
I know, it sucks for people to tell you that you aren't caring for your animals properly. When I got my iguana, I joined an iguana forum and within a couple of minutes, people were telling me about what a horrible person I was because of my lighting system. They told me it didn't have UVB, and I told them it did. Everyone was freaking out. I turned out to be right, however... haha.
But, you do have to understand that people who are in a forum like this are very passionate about what they do, and many are professional breeders or are really, really in to the hobby and have been for years.
If I were you, I would post an overview of the things that you did wrong in your housekeeping and care, which is basically the issue of heating, so people can get their facts straight. and then say what you have done to correct it. Hopefully, people can chill out after that.

Okay... well I provided lamps for my snakes at first. Which worked well, but melted the plastic in the lid and my snake escaped.

So I stopped using heat. A few people PMed me and said that they never provided heat for their snakes, and just kept their room temperatures up.

So NOW I have a space heater in my room, and the temperature right NOW is 78.5 and is getting a little higher every few minutes.

I will probably remove the Heater at night so I don't burn up, but will leave it on during the day on the lowest setting since my room temperatures are about 75 anyway.

So...there it is...

I assumed that swine flu really wasn't that bad... I mean.. it's the flu. But still, the flu sucks! Get better!
But yes, I know you didn't lie about them being in cages together, you just sort of dodged the question.
I know, it sucks for people to tell you that you aren't caring for your animals properly. When I got my iguana, I joined an iguana forum and within a couple of minutes, people were telling me about what a horrible person I was because of my lighting system. They told me it didn't have UVB, and I told them it did. Everyone was freaking out. I turned out to be right, however... haha.
But, you do have to understand that people who are in a forum like this are very passionate about what they do, and many are professional breeders or are really, really in to the hobby and have been for years.
If I were you, I would post an overview of the things that you did wrong in your housekeeping and care, which is basically the issue of heating, so people can get their facts straight. and then say what you have done to correct it. Hopefully, people can chill out after that.

Damn I wish i could rep you right now!

Back