• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Trundlefart" Replacement Name Suggestions

This snake is all motley no stripe. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Nanci's first snake is a stripe, the second is a motley. They are either stripe or motley to me. Or possibly motley HET stripe. I don't even see the need for motley/stripe unless its describing motley het stripe.

Which is the problem!!!! Calling an animal the is het motley AND stripe a "motley het stripe" is wrong! And all animals the have one of each gene are het for both regardless of the phenotype displayed.

It isn't wrong. The motley gene is dominant over stripe, just as normal is to motley. We say normal het motley, and we should also say motley het stripe. It's a genetically accurate term.

It isn't wrong. The motley gene is dominant over stripe, just as normal is to motley. We say normal het motley, and we should also say motley het stripe. It's a genetically accurate term.

Saying motley het stripe implies that the animal has 2 motley alleles and 1 stripe allele, which isn't possible.

I understand wanting to call them motleys since that is the apparent phenotype, but it is wrong in genotype.

Do I have to bring out the slide projector to show off my motley stripe (PROVEN Homozygous for one gene of each) again?
If ya'll can't play nice I'm gonna make you wear the shirt!!!

Do I have to bring out the slide projector to show off my motley stripe (PROVEN Homozygous for one gene of each) again?
If ya'll can't play nice I'm gonna make you wear the shirt!!!

Homo for both? Is that what you said? If you breed it to a stripe then it produces all stripes and if bred to a motley then it produces all motleys?

Bred to a wildtype het stripe it produces 50% stripe, 25% motley, 25% wild-type.
Bred to a stripe it produces 50/50 stripe or motley.

I know I'm late into the conversation. I don't like the term motley/stripe for a snake that carries both genes. It's down right confusing for me. To me, a motley/stripe describes a motley that looks like a stripe.
Though I know the term is "wrong" I call them motley's het stripe.

If motley het stripe is bred to a stripe then 75% mot, 25% stripe.
What's up with those aggravating motleys which have a visual stripe but are not stripe anyways? Oh just breed them to Tess or WideStripe or Pinstripe and don't worry about it too much, just have fun.

But I like complicated....

Last year I bred a motley het. snow stripe x "pinstripe" motley het snow stripe. I would say 75% were motley of some kind (amel, anery, or normal). Maybe 25% were stripes. There were only 2 pinstripes, or a motley that basically looks like a stripe, like daddy is. These pinstripe motleys seem to be like random occurances when breeding motleys.

I don't like the term motley/stripe for a snake that carries both genes. It's down right confusing for me. To me, a motley/stripe describes a motley that looks like a stripe.

We'll just have to learn the correct terminology then. It took 2 years for TF to catch on for a select group. I'm sure it won't take long for a new term to go viral. Heck, we rename existing morphs all the time...

What you should see, assuming the percentages ever come out even, when breeding a het motley/stripe to a het motley/stripe are as follows-

25% stripe/stripe
25% motley/motley
50% het motley AND stripe (phenotype will be motley)

Dave, your animal has proven to be het for motley AND stripe. Which is accurate. Your snake cannot be homozygous for both genes. There simply isn't room on the locus.

What you should see, assuming the percentages ever come out even, when breeding a het motley/stripe to a het motley/stripe are as follows-

25% stripe/stripe
25% motley/motley
50% het motley AND stripe (phenotype will be motley)

Dave, your animal has proven to be het for motley AND stripe. Which is accurate. Your snake cannot be homozygous for both genes. There simply isn't room on the locus.

In this are these het motley/stripes NORMAL patterned?

In this are these het motley/stripes NORMAL patterned?

No. Because the locus is filled by two pattern affecting genes, the snake's pattern is affected. The resulting change is the motley phenotype. This is why motley is considered dominant to stripe.

So they should be motley het. stripe, rather than het. motley/stripe. In which case you would get mostly motley het. stripes and afew stripes.

Hey, you got your genotype in my phenotype

Hay, yew gut yer phenatype in my jeannatype

Two great types that go well together

Rhesus Peanut Butter Couples...

put that in your punnet pipe -n- smoke it

So they should be motley het. stripe, rather than het. motley/stripe. In which case you would get mostly motley het. stripes and afew stripes.

I can't explain it anymore than I already have. Luckily for me, other people do understand it too. If you aren't one of them then I don't know what to tell you.

Dave, the rules that apply to you do not apply to the rest of us. There is no doubt in my mind that you have new pattern affecting genes in your collection that just haven't been accidentally sold off yet. Eventually though, I'll sort your mess out for you.

I can't explain it anymore than I already have. Luckily for me, other people do understand it too. If you aren't one of them then I don't know what to tell you.

Dave, the rules that apply to you do not apply to the rest of us. There is no doubt in my mind that you have new pattern affecting genes in your collection that just haven't been accidentally sold off yet. Eventually though, I'll sort your mess out for you.

Hey, lookit, I can quote you too...

I'll invite my friend c a r p e to this thread...

Mix up enough patterns and watch Nate pirouette

Fishnet tutu optional...

I will charm you by love's Locus-pocus
Believe me Nate- it's not at all Locus
I will become formula of your math
I will become the vodka of your bath
I will become your most favorite food
I will keep you healthy inebriated and good
I will become your life's sloshed spring season
I will become your life and sleep's reason
I will become smoke that you breathe
I will make our dysfunctional story a great myth