• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Legitimate Reason Wanted

What do you feed?

• Frozen/Thawed

Votes: 94 77.7%
  • Live

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Both

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

Stormy

Keeper of scaley things.
Ok since it is a huge topic in this thread I want to know a legitimate reason, with proof on why a snake who correctly constricts and kills live prey can not be fed live prey(while being supervised) over F/t? Obviously if a snake is no constricting prey and is a "lazy" eater then it shouldn't be fed live.
As I see it both sides have Pros and Cons. And frankly live over f/t has been a huge debate for awhile now.

Pros of Live
  • Fresh food source
  • If you breed your own then you know where the food is coming from, what it has eaten and how clean it is.
  • Cheaper if you have a lot of snakes.
  • Provides mental stimulus for your snake. (How would you like to be in a tank all day and have a tv dinner handed to you instead of a fresh cooked steak?)
  • If you have some extra you can probably sell them to other reptile people in your area and recoup some of your costs on feed, bedding etc.

Cons of Live
  • Can get expensive going to a local store to buy live if you are only buying for a few snakes.
  • If you have a lazy eater that does not constrict then there are obvious risks.
  • Slight possibility of injury if not supervised. Snakes do eat live in the wild.

Pros of F/T
  • If you only have one or two snakes or even more it can be cheaper.
  • If you have a lazy eater that does not constrict then obviously this is the way to go.

Cons of F/T
  • Can take up a lot of freezer space.
  • If you do not have a local supplier than shipping costs can be high, unless you can find someone to split the cost with.
  • If ordering through the mail (rodent pro, mice direct etc) then you dont always know what you are getting and can get some bad surprises.
  • Two words. Power Outage.
  • If your snake decides it does not want to eat then you are stuck with a rodent you just wasted, unless you are lucky enough to have another you can feed it to.

There may be other pros and cons of both sides but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
And I dont want a thread of people flaming back and forth. I am doing this to create intelligent discussion.

The way I see it: It's not a problem until it's a problem. Call me boring but I'd rather take the safe route.

Pros of Live
  • Fresh food source
  • If you breed your own then you know where the food is coming from, what it has eaten and how clean it is.
  • Cheaper if you have a lot of snakes.
  • If you have some extra you can probably sell them to other reptile people in your area and recoup some of your costs on feed, bedding etc.

All of these pro's you've listed for live can be applied to F/T. I breed, cull, and freeze my own mice and get these benefits.

Except for this pro:

[*]Provides mental stimulus for your snake. (How would you like to be in a tank all day and have a tv dinner handed to you instead of a fresh cooked steak?)

Which is based on anthropomorphication.

As far as the poll, I answered F/T only. (But I do feed live in cases of snakes who refused F/T and would only eat live...but so far have managed to convert all of those cases to F/T)

If you would like me to I can post a picture of my Amel Gypsy, I will have to get a good picture of her head she has a large gash down her neck from when her former owner fed her live. She also used to have some pretty bad cuts on her mouth, but they have healed well and I cannot find them unless I really look for the spots.

Outcast-sounds to me like the previous owner did not take proper care of the snake. Like I have said before and pointed out in the original post, not all snakes can be fed live successfully. I am glad your snake is in better hands though.

Before I knew that she would take F/T I fed her a live mouse and she constricted perfectly. I just feed F/T because I would rather not hear a mouses death squeals.

Also, even if you supervise your snake eating live it can still be injured, maybe not as badly, but still, injury may occur. A mouses bite is faster than a humans reaction time.

i chose both, because i have a couple problem-feeders that i acquired as adults, that will only take live prey. i have tried absolutely everything in the book. one of the ball pythons BARELY eats live, only when she feels like it.

i breed my own rats, and the majority of my snakes actually get pre-killed. reach into the bin, euthanize, wait a bit, and feed to the snake. fresh, and risk-free.

just because a snake has "supervised" feedings does not mean that they can't get hurt. if a large rat so happened to sink it's teeth into your snake, just how do you plan on un-constricting the snake from the prey, without you yourself getting bit & possibly wrapped. and if you did happen to get wrapped, there's the possibility that the prey gets away and runs around your house! i just don't enjoy feeding live unless absolutely necessary.

I might be a very good and enthusiastic fighter, and I might always win when fighting with people who are smaller and weaker than I. But, if I get into a fight with one smaller and weaker person per week for the rest of my life, even if I win all the fights, I'm still bound to get a black eye or have a tooth knocked out eventually.

The way it's asked, doesn't immediately scream troll to me. It may be nice to gather the opinions into one thread for future questions about feeding live to be referred to, even if they have come up in different other threads. just my opinion of course.

You might have included F/K in the mix. It has some pros and cons of both.

I don't believe the mental stimilus is completely an anthropomorphism. (comparing it with a steak dinner is though :)). What else is the "enrichment" we use in zoo's...
Wether it's worth the cons is something you have to decide yourself though. There are other ways of enrichment that can provide stimulation to your snake. (Like changing around the viv decor regularly for instance, they always start cruising around exploring)

For me personally, I used to feed live once in a while. Whenever I bought a batch of frozen mice I got one or two live ones (had only one snake at that time lol). I never had any problems, but the last time I fed him one, he was so clumsy and missed the mouse three times. At that time the mouse obviously noticed the danger and was shivering in fear in a corner. When he finally got it, it was just as clumsy as the catching, and it took more than five minutes before he managed to kill it.
Now I normally am capable to not think about mice dying for snakes, after all for me they are snake food, that is their purpose. But this was a llttle much. No need for the mouse, even if it's food, to take so long to die when it's not in the wild but in my viv.

I must admit this is the reason I stopped feeding live, and not the slight possibility that the mouse might bite the snake. Anyway I breed my own now (frozen got a little expensive), gass them and freeze them or feed them off immediately.

Most horrible pics that are around about snakes bitten by feeders seem to be when feeders are left in the viv alive without supervision. There the risk is way bigger.
But of course that doesn't mean the risk is not there when you do supervise. It's smaller, but there.
I don't have any snakes that eat rats, but I can imagine the risk gets bigger with them.

I would like to hear from somebody that had an injured snake while feeding live mice with supervision. In those horrible pics that are around it was clearly without, you don't let a mouse keep gnawing at your snake while your watching. Until now I've never heard about somebody who had an incident *with* supervision.
If any of you had something like that happen, it might be nice to come forward here for other people that are feeding live. A slight risk is easier to ignore when you can say "I've never heard of that happening".

I still think it's everybody's own choice how they feed. But they must make the decision thinking hard about all the aspects.
I would have a hard time with anybody who feeds live without supervision, knowing the risks. They are too big and the possible injuries too grave.
Live with supervision... like I said, it's your choice. But when something happenes, you might have a hard time getting any sympathy from someone.

I generally feed F/T, but have one snake that will only eat live and a couple of others that prefer live (or I must do the zombie dance for 10 minutes with them). I have also used live to stimulate snakes that have gone off their meals and are being stubborn (females recovering from egg-laying and males during breeding season, for example) as well as feeding live just because I had some and it was quicker to feed them than to kill and freeze them, then take out other frozen, thaw and then feed. I would say that since I started keeping snakes, I have supervised the feeding of hundreds of live rodents (mice of all ages and rats up to the size of jumbo mice to my corns, and my boa occasionally gets live retired breeder rats) to my snakes (my live-only female is too shy to even grab the mouse if I'm in the room, let alone actually watching her).

I have been extremely lucky that none of my snakes have suffered an injury, and I do mean lucky. I would have to guess that only about 10% of the strikes are actually to the head of the rodent. 90% of the strikes are to anywhere else on the rodent's body and there is plenty of time and opportunity for the snake to receive bites. Many times, I have had to place a tongue depressor (wonderful inventions and a "must" for every household) between the mouse's biting mouth and the snake's body to prevent an injury.

I have seen snakes constrict live prey, then let them go without even attempting to eat their meal, and then see that the mouse is still alive and even recover as if nothing ever happened.

In a nutshell...feeding of live prey with teeth (rat and mice pinkies to fuzzies don't count) is NEVER 100% free of potential injury to the snake. There is ALWAYS a risk.

I have to question a few items on the list

Pros of Live
  • Fresh food source
  • If you breed your own then you know where the food is coming from, what it has eaten and how clean it is. (con..more time for breeding your own)
  • Cheaper if you have a lot of snakes. (??????? but if you don't should this be listed??)
  • Provides mental stimulus for your snake. ( ???????? thiis I think would be hard to prove)(How would you like to be in a tank all day and have a tv dinner handed to you instead of a fresh cooked steak?)
  • If you have some extra you can probably sell them to other reptile people in your area and recoup some of your costs on feed, bedding etc. (or if you don't. ???...f/t them. )

Cons of Live
  • Can get expensive going to a local store to buy live if you are only buying for a few snakes. (you don't know what they are feeding them. Pet store source.?????)
  • If you have a lazy eater that does not constrict then there are obvious risks.
  • Slight possibility of injury if not supervised. Snakes do eat live in the wild.

Pros of F/T
  • If you only have one or two snakes or even more it can be cheaper.
  • If you have a lazy eater that does not constrict then obviously this is the way to go.
    Short list Hmmmm

Cons of F/T
  • Can take up a lot of freezer space. (Breeding your own take up space too!! just not freezer space)
  • If you do not have a local supplier than shipping costs can be high, unless you can find someone to split the cost with.
  • If ordering through the mail (rodent pro, mice direct etc) then you dont always know what you are getting and can get some bad surprises. ( this can sometime be worked out by contacting the supplyer)
  • Two words. Power Outage.
  • If your snake decides it does not want to eat then you are stuck with a rodent you just wasted, unless you are lucky enough to have another you can feed it to.
There is also a debate on the break down of nutrients from being f/t.

There may be other pros and cons of both sides but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
And I dont want a thread of people flaming back and forth. I am doing this to create intelligent discussion.
As you see I don't agree with the list but...so what!!

Overall I have no problem feeding live if thats the only route you have. But in the link you provided it wasn't the only route but mainly I was against the video itself.
To me, it's dosen't show anything that has been seen before. So I didn't learn anything from it that hasn't been seen on youtube.
The quality was very good of the video but this proves to me that this "taping of a feeding video"" has been done a few times before..why ??

That's my problem with it.

I haven't seen any video by breeders who have to feed live to the few snake that refuse f/t. again..why not??

I do F/T since I find it a lot cheaper, I also don't want to keep a hamster cage with a bunch of dirty mice. I don't know how you figure live is cheaper, unless you're breeding your own.

I also do not live because I don't like playing God with these mice, I had to give my little guy live to get him eating and well... The screams coming from those babies are not pleasent. They're pretty heart breaking and I wouldn't want to supervise this since I don't want to see a baby mouse died. For my snakes food or not.

In my opinion F/T is the way to go.

I don't believe the mental stimilus is completely an anthropomorphism. (comparing it with a steak dinner is though :)). What else is the "enrichment" we use in zoo's...

Yes, but enrichment in zoos are in the form of the environment and toys. You'll note that zoos aren't throwing a live zebra to the lions.

To the OP, you missed some other pros of F/T and a con of live:

Con of Live: relatively short window of pinkies being appropriate size for hatchlings

Pros for F/T: Absolutely NO risk of injury to snake from prey
Able to buy in bulk and thus prevent shortages (I have 13 hatchlings I'm taking care of. It would take a LOT of mice to give me 13 pinks every 5 days)
Less smell. Mice stink!
Take up less room when you live in a small space. I have several hundred mice in the bottom of my freezer.

[*]Provides mental stimulus for your snake. (How would you like to be in a tank all day and have a tv dinner handed to you instead of a fresh cooked steak?)

I'd way rather have someone cook for me every night than me do it myself. I essentially eat FT for nearly every meal! Do you seriously think the snake enjoys hunting?

I think I am able to provide a "fight" with a dead mouse and a pair of tongs that greatly exceeds what a snake might deal with IRL. But I don't think it is necessary, and don't routinely feed them like that.

"instead of a fresh cooked steak"...
that is a steak that is already dead, and processed.

A better analogy is

"would you rather someone bring you your meal, or have a live chicken thrown at you to kill yourself?"

I have a snake that is somewhat of a problem feeder. He just happens to be my Cali King, and he prefers live, but today I got him to start eating on a F/T pinky. I hope he will grow out of the "Give me live" stage pretty soon, because once I can get a small chest freezer I am going to start ordering Frozen mice and that is what I will be feeding my snakes. I also have a baby Glossy Snake that just took its first pinky from me, that happened to be live also, I plan on trying to switch it over to F/T after a few feedings, and seeing how that works out for me.

"instead of a fresh cooked steak"...
that is a steak that is already dead, and processed.

A better analogy is

"would you rather someone bring you your meal, or have a live chicken thrown at you to kill yourself?"

This is funny! I'm still laughing as I write this, lol.

This sounds like a TROLL post to me.

Love the Fatman

I tend to agree. This days even fairly young children have the ability to reseach a topic on the internet, and there is plenty written about this particular subject.

There is also a ton written on the internet about corn snake care but people still come here to ask. By your post you are saying those people are trolling as well. I don't see my post as trolling. I am trying to find out why people make such a big stink here on these forums about it. Frankly all the posts constantly nagging people is getting a bit discouraging and I do like these forums, but it makes me not want to come here anymore. Especially when I only have a little bit of time between school and other real life things to read, learn and enjoy peoples posts about their snakes.
Googling a bunch of articles, in my opinion, is no substitute for hearing peoples own opinions from this forum in a constructive manner.

@Kali: You brought up some good points that I had forgotten. Which is part of why I started this thread, thanks!

@Susan: I do agree that it can be good to get a snake that has gone off feeding back on again. I have a male who this past spring went off feeding for so long he was starting to loose a lot of weight and I was getting really worried. Live did help him get back on track.

@Lenny:
Can get expensive going to a local store to buy live if you are only buying for a few snakes. (you don't know what they are feeding them. Pet store source.?????)
Where I live there are two choices for feeders locally. Petsmart which charges an arm and a leg. Or a badly run local store. This store is disgusting, it should be shut down. But it cant be because they have relatives that are police that handle every complaint for them. She also does not have a set price on mice, we could go in there two separate times, get the same size mouse, and get charged two very different prices. We do have one local supplier of f/t and live but he is several hours away and I cannot drive (eye sight problems) and my bf works 50-60 hours a week so it is not easy to get to him.

If ordering through the mail (rodent pro, mice direct etc) then you dont always know what you are getting and can get some bad surprises. ( this can sometime be worked out by contacting the supplyer)

Not always. There was even just recently a post on one of the threads here where they contacted a supplier with their concerns and they never got an answer. I also have a friend who had this same issue. Her and a few others spent a couple hundred on a mouse order for their ferrets only to have them show up with bedding and feces mixed into the frozen mice.

There is also a debate on the break down of nutrients from being f/t.
I had thought about this but I was not sure of its validity. What made me consider it was the green giant commercial that advertises how soon after being picked their vegetables are frozen, to lock in nutrients.

As you see I don't agree with the list but...so what!!
Exactly. I am not asking people to agree with me. I am not saying they have to agree with me. I am just asking for a nice discussion and peoples opinions on the matter.

@GSDlover
I do F/T since I find it a lot cheaper, I also don't want to keep a hamster cage with a bunch of dirty mice. I don't know how you figure live is cheaper, unless you're breeding your own.
We do breed our own and like I posted above, even with the cost of bedding and food each month (runs us about 20$), it is cheaper because of the price gouging that goes on in our area.

@shiari
Con of Live: relatively short window of pinkies being appropriate size for hatchlings
Another good point. Right now we have 3 baby corns, about 20-26grams each. They are getting F/T.

Pros for F/T:
Able to buy in bulk and thus prevent shortages (I have 13 hatchlings I'm taking care of. It would take a LOT of mice to give me 13 pinks every 5 days)
Less smell. Mice stink!
Take up less room when you live in a small space. I have several hundred mice in the bottom of my freezer.
Another good point, a lot of it comes down to peoples living arrangements when it comes to space. We built our own mice/rat rack that takes up about a 4x4ft section, maybe a little less.
And yes hatchlings seem to never stop eating so that is huge valid reason on why feeding f/t has its pros.
As for the stink, I was battling that for awhile, we would clean, a few days later it would stink. We found a way around that and we still clean just as often as before, but now the stink is not noticeable unless you go right up to the bin in the rack and take a good sniff.

@Nanci
Do you seriously think the snake enjoys hunting?
I think this boils down to the individual snake. Each snake has their own personalities and quirks.

@strasevol
A better analogy is

Good point. But then what do hunters do that go out hunting deer, turkey, boar etc every hunting season?

@Outcast
I have a snake that is somewhat of a problem feeder. He just happens to be my Cali King, and he prefers live, but today I got him to start eating on a F/T pinky. I hope he will grow out of the "Give me live" stage pretty soon, because once I can get a small chest freezer I am going to start ordering Frozen mice and that is what I will be feeding my snakes. I also have a baby Glossy Snake that just took its first pinky from me, that happened to be live also, I plan on trying to switch it over to F/T after a few feedings, and seeing how that works out for me.
A chest freezer is another valid point. Not everyone has access to one so freezer space is at a premium (especially when feeding people with the appetites of teenaged boys). Good luck on getting them to completely switch over! I know, from experience, it can take a lot of work.

Back