• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best captures

Optreptiles

Hi everyone, I was wondering, what are the best reptiles and amphibians you have ever caught in the wild? Include pictures if possible. Mine was this spiny softshell turtle that I caught with a friend.

Attachments

• turtle3.jpg
    turtle3.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 553
Yeah, he may be "just" a bullsnake, but he was the first bull snake I ever caught by myself. I'd found rattlers and another bull in the chicken coop before, but that was before I really was into snakes. When I saw this guy half way down a mouse hole I couldn't resist pulling him back up. He had feathers in his mouth and was a little snappy at first (I think he had been eating a mouse), but then he calmed down to the temperament of a corn and sat on my shoulders and was a good friend for a few minutes before I sent him on his merry mouse killing way. The bull snakes are always invited to stay in the chicken coop- though I think he was responsible for the death of one of my chicks a few days earlier.

Attachments

• 254677_2127710585778_1036325846_32226005_7562896_n.jpg
    254677_2127710585778_1036325846_32226005_7562896_n.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 537
Mine would be Smitty my king. She was accidentally dug up my by brother in law last Christmas and I didn't have the heart to make her find a new place to brumate when it was 19 degrees. So in the house she came.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 527
YES SHE IS!!! That thing is long gone now. I hated that thing and I didn't even have anyone that went up into the secret compartment but the little lip around the edge is what made me mad. It never failed that they would hang on for dear life to the edge.

Here's one of my favorites! First Gray Rat!!

Attachments

• gray rat.jpg
    gray rat.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 508
I think the camera angle makes him look a little exaggerated, but he was HUGE. Easily one of the biggest snakes I have caught. And sweet as pie. SOOOOOO hard to put him back!!

I haven't done a lot of capturing, but I really liked this king snake I caught a while back.

snake_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d3g7p4j.jpg

Holy cow Nanci! Thats a monster! hehe Do all gray rats get That big?? I thought they stayed more cornish size? WOW! hehe maybe I shouldnt have gotten my white oak gray rat! hehe :D

This was pretty memorable, too. I was with Katie at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens (in Gainesville, FL) and just saw this Florida Blue Garter laying there, so I picked it up!

Attachments

• Kanapaha0027crr.jpg
    Kanapaha0027crr.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 358
I caught this guy at a terrified friend's house. The first adult black racer I ever caught. They are FAST!! I've caught a couple more since then. This snake bit the CRAP out of me, right in front of my horrified friend. I released him at my house. He's probably eating all my anoles!

Attachments

• Black Racer 001.jpg
    Black Racer 001.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 356
No fair Nanci! I'm going to have to go wrestle rattlers now, since all your captures are way cooler than everyone elses! Lucky you being in Florida haha. All we have here are rattlers, bulls, and garters. And lots of little fence lizards.

No fair Nanci! I'm going to have to go wrestle rattlers now, since all your captures are way cooler than everyone elses! Lucky you being in Florida haha. All we have here are rattlers, bulls, and garters. And lots of little fence lizards.

You probably have better luck there than here. In Ohio, you are pretty lucky just to find a garter snake or American toad...

Back