• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best captures

A baby black racer. The first time I found one of these, in my yard, I thought it was a baby cornsnake. (I'd only ever caught one other cornsnake and didn't know _anything_ about them yet!!) It bit me about a million times. That is one clue!!

LOL!!,.yeah, they are feisty alright!. I was in a pet store a while back, and a guy had a baby Black Racer in a jar and was getting a couple pinkies for his alleged "cornsnake"..LOL!. The so-called "experienced" employee there didn't even pickup on the fact that it was actually a young Black Racer either until I told the guy exactly what it was and how to care for it and what to feed it. I also told the dude if it doesn't do well and eat VERY SOON, the snake would be best let go where he found it since these people were absolute newbies to begin with. The dad new nothing, and the little kid wasn't old enough to have any responsibility or common sense at all either........I hope the snake is alive today and didn't suffer from neglect as so many snakes do...........sigh.

~Doug

Rough green snake:

Cool Rough (Keeled) Green Snake!

That is also the very first kind of snake I captured and owned around 1967 or so. Lucky for me my parents were VERY cool about me owning snakes as a young kid, and my mom would buy me all types of snakes for Christmas and birthdays. Miami corns, Indigos, Brooks kings, Yellow Rats, etc...from Miami/Dade from a friend of her's field herper husband. My entire wall of the bedroom was nothing but metal shelves of snakes from about second grade on.

~Doug

Growin up i would catch anything that walked across my path. Toads, Frogs, Aligator Lizards, Blue tailed lizzards, Bull snakes, Garters, You name it! But this guy was probally my favorite, he was just laying on a mossy rock wall soaking up some rays! But he almost had a blueish tint, and he was just lovely<3 i named him Twan.

305396_2005409775198_1242264939_31890342_7006167_n.jpg

Eastern Glass Lizard

l.jpg

Itty-bitty ringneck (don't worry, I let him go)

l.jpg

Black racer with a 'TUDE!!!

l.jpg

l.jpg

The coolest dang beetle I ever did see.

l.jpg

l.jpg

Another racer in the yard. He let me get CLOSE!

l.jpg

And another glass lizard that a neighbor had caught.

l.jpg

Ill Bite

A Spotted turtle I caught last year.
Headshots050.jpg

A relaxed black racer
MIscsnakepics406.jpg

A pretty male eastern box turtle that I found along a road side.
reptilephotos018.jpg

I really like the glass lizards! I didn't think they were so common in Florida.

Yes,......Glass Lizards are VERY common in Florida. In Ft. Lauderdale, they would be all over the property in the middle of the city when I mowed the grass and were ALWAYS found under the the old trash/composte pile when it was removed. Many Ringnecks would also be found in this prime habitat under the pile as well.

~Doug

Yes,......Glass Lizards are VERY common in Florida. In Ft. Lauderdale, they would be all over the property in the middle of the city when I mowed the grass and were ALWAYS found under the the old trash/composte pile when it was removed. Many Ringnecks would also be found in this prime habitat under the pile as well.

~Doug

That is really cool. It seems that all the best reptiles (and amphibians) live in Florida...

I grew up reading snake books and dreaming about someday being able to find some "classic" American snakes in the field. Here are a few from the last couple of years - these were the first time I've ever encountered any of these in the field:

Found a Rubber Boa this year and was totally stoked (NorCal in August):
IMG_2383.jpg

First Ribbon Snake (southern Illinois last year):
ribbon2.jpg

Red Milk (southern Illinois in October):
redmilk2.jpg

Lyre Snake (April near Las Vegas):
IMG_0515.jpg

Western Diamondback (last year in June in Arizona):
diamondback.jpg

Eastern Hognose (east coast 2007):
hog1.jpg

And a couple from my home state -

Last year I caught a few melanistic Eastern Garters in in NW Ohio:
g2010-09-19079.jpg

And this year I caught the longest snake I've ever found in the field. Althought I've captured Black Rat Snakes previously, this one was just shy of six feet.
brat1.jpg

@tspuckler: awesome rat snake, I caught one that was around that size a while back, and it remains to be the largest snake I've ever caught

Rough green snake:

the science teacher on the other team has like 5 of these in one tank, and also has a black racer i think, a chinchilla, and a few other snakes, and to top it all off, around 8 snakes in jars WITHOUT LIDS

tspuckler: I just saw your web page about field herping in hocking hills! I recognized the black rat snake photo. Do you carry out trips like that often?

the science teacher on the other team has like 5 of these in one tank, and also has a black racer i think, a chinchilla, and a few other snakes, and to top it all off, around 8 snakes in jars WITHOUT LIDS

i meant 8 spiders, not snakes.

The only reptiles I've ever been able to catch in my area are garter snakes. I've caught some pretty nice looking ones though. Here are a few pictures from the last time I went herping:

5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

tspuckler: I just saw your web page about field herping in hocking hills! I recognized the black rat snake photo. Do you carry out trips like that often?

I do an annual trip with high school students in the spring. Sometimes it's to Ohio, sometimes to Carter Caves and sometimes to the ocean (here's a photo of me and some students with our first ever Diamondback Terrapins). This year we'll be going to "The Wilds" which I think is near Columbus. Details are still being worked out, but I believe it will be the last weekend in April.

eastcoast.jpg

I enjoy seeing snakes from other areas than my own, since I STILL am unable to get myself a corn, this is about the only place I can really contribute. :mad: I actually have not been to the forum all that much because it's kinda depressing to want something and can't have it.

I have posted some of these here before..maybe all of them, but that's ok.

Eastern garter with no stripes, only one I've ever seen like this
IMG_1197.jpg

Shorthead garter--missing the end of it's tail
IMG_0602.jpg

Redbelly
IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

I don't remember how many pics can fit in a post, so I'll make another.

Back