• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

That was fun and funny, guys.

As far a circles fellows they are probably the most important fundamental mathematical element used in physics, engineering, and science as a whole teaching us about our physical universe. I know technically there is no such thing as a true circle hence pi, but historically the circle and its studies have helped prove and disprove theories such as our earths rotation, ancient architecture practices, physical laws, and many many others though I won't let you know just how much of a geek I am, lol circles rule!!

Wasn't it Michelangelo who drew a circle freehand when was asked to "prove to me that you are a good artist?" Maybe the wrong artist, but the point was that he didn't a person or a mountain - but a simple circle. If anyone doubts the level of skill it takes to freehand a large "perfect" circle, just TRY IT ONCE.

I wouldn't say the internet is a luxury, If you are broke/ not working you really do need it to look for work (you need to use search engines to find work, send emails with attached resumes out to people, check in with the unemployment department's website to report your job searches, mapquest directions to job interviews, etc. etc) sure you can go to the library and do all that but it makes things a lot harder.

Not trying to say you didn't work hard to get to where you are, Nanci. It was a choice you made that it sounds like you had to make some sacrifices and you have every right to enjoy what you have and spend it however you want to. I don't know if I could have gone into the nursing field myself, though I did consider it at one bleak point. Luckily I was able to find a (not so recession proof) job in my field and not change careers, but after spending over a year looking, being worried and broke and I am not going to take anything for granted here. I was just trying to give you a different perspective.

Maybe you should move to my county, where unemployment is 3%! I forgot to mention my house. 16% of my monthly take home goes for my house payment. You can imagine what a palace it is. But I will never be house-poor again. Yes, I am somewhat embarassed to have friends over because I live in a trailer. But I'd rather have more discretionary income than a cooler house. And the land will keep its value no matter what. Readers of DYK would know how avidly I search for income opportunities/employment suggestions for people in dire circumstances. Ask Robbie.

That was fun and funny, guys.

Wasn't it Michelangelo who drew a circle freehand when was asked to "prove to me that you are a good artist?" Maybe the wrong artist, but the point was that he didn't a person or a mountain - but a simple circle. If anyone doubts the level of skill it takes to freehand a large "perfect" circle, just TRY IT ONCE.

I don't know if that was Michelangelo or not, but DYK theres no such thing as a real circle. Sure you can take a protractor and draw a flat circle, but its not technically a circle- it has no dimensions. Tires are flat on the bottom hence still not a circle, nor are donuts ummm, or even the balls we play with- no pun intended. I am a dork and actually own "the history of a circle" seriouly a good read and your right people underestimate the complexities of a circle not to mention drawing one freehand is almost impossible...unless your Michelangelo apparently, lol!!

Nah, I like my rainy Oregon. The unemp is at 10% here and this county is faring better than others in the state... But it's not flat and there are no Palmetto bugs!

Dale has a point too about the necessity of the internet. A lot of places have replaced call centers with internet sites and so much more. How often do we get actual postal mail notifications about personal matters and how often when you ask a question when speaking with a company do they refer you to their website instead, or how about when you want to sign up for something, fill something out, or get actual mail sent to you you still have to request this stuff online. Plenty of businesses are website only businesses really we can live with having fewer animals, but no internet in this day in age counts a lot of opportunities out for us.

but DYK theres no such thing as a real circle. Sure you can take a protractor and draw a flat circle, but its not technically a circle- it has no dimensions.
Huh?! What the heck is a "flat circle"? Isn't a circle flat by definition of 2 dimensional? What the heck are pi and radius and diameter and circumference if a circle has no dimensions? You sayin' I been lied to since 10 grade Geometry!?! :grin01:

D80

Huh?! What the heck is a "flat circle"? Isn't a circle flat by definition of 2 dimensional? What the heck are pi and radius and diameter and circumference if a circle has no dimensions? You sayin' I been lied to since 10 grade Geometry!?! :grin01:

D80
Thats the problem with homo sapien.... We got fixated with a rotary fixation...... LOL
I blame the wheel......

No silly I am talking about the fact when we draw a circle even with a protractor it is not dimensionally correct. Pi is an undefined number that goes until infinity. When you calculate radius and diameter they are not exact hence us using pi for these calculations. We can get values for the dimensions of a circle yes, but there are too many limitations and no physical circle is ever exactly a circle by definition meaning all these 10th grade calculations were nothing but estimations.

No silly I am talking about the fact when we draw a circle even with a protractor it is not dimensionally correct. Pi is an undefined number that goes until infinity. When you calculate radius and diameter they are not exact hence us using pi for these calculations. We can get values for the dimensions of a circle yes, but there are too many limitations and no physical circle is ever exactly a circle by definition meaning all these 10th grade calculations were nothing but estimations.
You're "arguing" like you can never technically win a race since you are always half the distance closer to the finish line . . . A 10" radius is a 10" radius. Pi is involved with calculating area.

D80

Pi is involved with calculating area/circumference which we use to calculate the radius. Its not an arguement just a cool fact that by the definition of a circle there are really no true circles that have ever been mathematically proven. And who said circles aren't important, lol

Pi is involved with calculating area/circumference which we use to calculate the radius. Its not an arguement just a cool fact that by the definition of a circle there are really no true circles that have ever been mathematically proven.
By argument, I don't mean two people angry or upset with each other, I mean argument as in a process of reasoning.

You calculate the circumference based on the radius using pi, or you calculate the radius based on the circumference using pi. In either case, one of the numbers is an absolute. 10" radius or a 10" circumference is still an absolute number. If every point the edge of the circle is 10" from the center I don't know how you can argue it's not a perfect circle.

Of course, I took a math class once upon a time that used imaginary numbers too. Didn't do so hot in that one. ;)

Anyway, did the dragon lovers get their one dragon yet or not?! :crazy01:

D80

No dragons yet Brent and honestly I am so internet slow I have no clue what they ever meant embarrassingly. I thought they were cute and all, but what was their actual function? Oh...and Brent since pi isn't an absolute value neither or the calculations it is used in (had to):)

I hate to say it, but it seems only fair that if I get to have a pic that is a link to my website (as do many other people) then maybe one dragon or other picture link should be OK as long as it is a contributing member? Like an added perk? I did notice a couple of people become contributing members due or partly due to the dragon fad... just a thought.

I made a post earlier that we seem to be arguing (discussing cordially) for the sake of argument. I think the circle discussions makes my point.

Interestingly, Rich Z, who makes decisions one and all, has not participated in any of this important discussion, has not read it, and is blissfully unaware of it. At the end of the day this will be just so many electrons flittering off into cyberland and nothing will have changed.

Wrong.... I just haven't seen any need to post a reply to anything yet.... Up to now, that is....

This IS breeding season and I AM working on taxes, and there ARE priorities I have to allocate time for. For instance, it is now 3:48am EST. I hope no one thinks I LIKE to be up this late every night....

How about we make a circle Discussions thread some where else...:D

And then we could perhaps sensibly discuss the point at issue which is dragons in sigs, NOT DYK, NOT circles.

Perhaps Rich would look more favourably on a compromise if we did as he suggested (which i think everyone has) and then calmly discuss Dragons in sigs rather than waste his time with pointless babble.

Perhaps it would be nice to let people have ONE dragon if they are a contributor, Perhaps a nice compromise would be one dragon OR your banner but not both?

Just an idea and 2p :D

Back