• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

As I said, the site was and is still experiencing problems. We don't know the time that it will be fully operational again.

I would just appreciate at least the OPTION to re-evaluate once it's back up, as all of the loading/broken links issues were from the downtime.

That's all :)

OK, I think Rich has gotten the point. All of you would like him to reconsider the idea of the dragons. This is not exactly the most opportune time for all of you to harass him about it. It's reminding me of whiny kids pestering Daddy to let them have some candy.

Now go ahead and throw some darts at my image, send me hate e-mails and anything else you can think of.

If he didn't want response, or to gauge the reaction of the members who come here, voluntarily, because they like this site, why would he post it here?

He didn't HAVE to leave the thread open, or POST anything. he could have just told the mods to tell everyone with dragons to remove them, with no reasons or recourse.

So excuse US for asking that it be reconsidered. Glad that insulting the pile of us is important. Not everyone is whining. SOME of us are attempting to ask POLITELY, which is what a DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE SITE area is about!

So if Rich wants to ignore us, or let you answer for him, that's fine. But is all of the berating of people who chose to take part in the posted topic of discussion really necessary?

Last I checked, no one was jumping up and down asking that he give them back now.

Gah. I'm about done here, and about tired of the overly bitter, antagonistic posting that is becoming the norm. Excuse ME for enjoying something.

No one is trying to up your workload, Rich. But very little can be done to prevent it at this point, given the timing of both your posting here and on fauna, and the timing of the issues with the Dragon Cave. Gee, sorry that requesting re-evaluation at a later date is inconvenient. No one said we couldn't wait until a time of Rich's choice or anything.

WOW I didn’t realize what an important world changing issue the dragons had become. “This is important stuff were doing here.” I’m impressed that Rich Z is actually reading this. I kind of agree with Susan, it kind of became childish whining to me.

Oh please, Wade...we know you have a ton of little dragon eggs stashed away somewhere. You can admit it to us, we're all friends here. ;)

He could have locked the thread, wade. Would have solved every single one of these problems.

But he didn't.

Some of us don't get out much. Literally.

So when what we DO do, which is generally work and stay home with the kids, sometimes getting on the computer, as the kids are sleeping, is restricted in a way that we dislike, HOW is asking for a future re-evaluation WHINING?

It's a fun game. It's something to do. People enjoy it. Until there were hosting problems, it didn't cause any real issues with the site.

Since the hosting company messed up, the server was not able to be accessed. Those requests went unfulfilled, and it bogged down the site.

Fine.

But since we KNOW why that happened, remind me, again, what is wrong with a re-evaluation?

If Rich asked you to remove your graphical links to your websites from your sigs because you were having hosting problems, and it was bogging down the site, would YOU want to have him look at it again after your problems were fixed?

I apologize to everyone that feels that those of us who are in the collector/hobbiest category still, who MUST not understand anything about breeding workload, are being presumptuous jerks by ASKING, when it's posted in a FORUM, questions about whether we can either A. have 1 or B. have the links re-evaluated when the dragon cave is no longer having issues.

HOW is this whining?

HOW are we being rude, or disrespectful, or inconsiderate, by ASKING A POLITE QUESTION?

Really, honestly, if the extent of your response is to tell us that we are being whiny, what are you doing for this topic other than making it longer and taking it further off-topic?

I await Rich's eventual reply. Why? Because he's who we're really appealing to here, isn't it. Responding is at HIS discretion. Which we don't mind waiting for.

If you would like, Rich, we can just update you here when the Dragon Cave is functioning again, and you can deal with that at a time afterwards at your "leisure" ( I know, hard to find, harder to plan for, but really, no rush!).

Sheesh.

Sheesh? Sheesh?

I…I mean WOW I just didn’t know how important dragons were. Look, I’m just a dumb guy. I drink beer, watch football, scratch my butt. I’m sorry if is spoke lightly about a God Given Right.

I don't know about you guys, but this website has not been primarily about snakes for me in a long long time. The first thing I do is check DYK, reply to PM's and catch up with my friends. THEN I talk snakes. I am saddened that some people only see this website as a business venture ie what can cornsnakes.com do for me and my reptuation.

I feel this is a buzzing community, with individuals who really do look out for each other (even if they are at opposite ends of the world). That to me is amazing, and if threads like DYK can bring together people to create these friendships then bully to you who does not want to take part. YOU are missing out....

lol. It IS a snake site. If people like the DYK or want to use the site for networking/ making friends/ shooting the breeze, that is fine. But nothing wrong with those of us who are here for the SNAKE stuff and think the rest of it is getting ridiculous either! I'm sorry but every time I read that thread I get this "that's five minutes of my life I will never get back" feeling. How exactly am I missing out by avoiding something I don't personally enjoy? I made a few posts in DYK at first but after a while it seemed to turn into a conversation between a few people which I had absolutely nothing to add to.
Oh well to each his / her own, right? I just go to the actual chat room when I feel like chit chat ;)

Actually, I thought I explained my reasoning pretty well in the initial post within this thread. Unless my understanding of how active links work and how internet servers work is faulty, there really isn't anything to debate.

I am sorry that sometimes I have to make decisions that not everyone will agree on and not everyone will be happy with. Somebody obviously has to do it when needed, and I guess that this is my job around here.

Seriously, if someone doesn't fully understand the drawbacks of uncontrolled active links on a very active website like this, please do some research on how exactly servers and the internet really work to gain that understanding. NO server can have unlimited bandwidth, unlimited concurrent users, and unlimited active connections to other servers. When you have single members spawning multiple connections to another server via active links, this can snowball to where some connections requested by other members will just get rejected or dropped because the server is too busy to be able to handle all those requests. Sure, I like computer doodads as much as anyone and probably more than most, but that doesn't mean that allowing anything that can potentially negatively affect the health and well being of this site and the server it resides on can be just ignored just because we "like" it.

I'm not asking that everyone fully understand the mechanics of how the internet works in order to comply with my request to remove those active links from the signature areas. But I am asking you to consider that I wouldn't ask such a thing unless I thought it was necessary for the well being of this site, the server, and the majority of the members here.

Thanks Rich. I do more or less understand what and how extraneous links, etc. (including dragon eggs and dragons) slow the site down. I have noticed the site speed pick up all the way around.
I hope it is moving faster for everyone.

..... that wouldn't ask such a thing unless I thought it was necessary for the well being of this site, the server, and the majority of the members here.

I understand that I appreciate your position Rich.

As a high school teacher, I love that my classroom snakes have gotten people interested in the hobby. As a teacher, I can imagine all too well the furor that might come up if some parents went wailing to the school board that I was corrupting their child because of some inappropriate content.

I am a high school teacher too. I don't reccomend any internet websites to my students unless they relate directly to my content. I would not have reccomended this site before DYK, and I won't after. It's not my place to do so. Just my $.02.

If it is such a time sensitive discussion, why is it done in a thread instead of via some chat, etc.? I think the essense of threads are that time doesn't matter.

I don't use the chat room, either, because I don't come here to CHAT...I come her to read/make posts. :) For the record, though, I said "via some chat" - not THIS chat room particularly. AIM, ICQ (if it exists still), etc. all fit my bill. Man, I haven't even used one of those in near on a decade.....lol.

Why do you care so much?? If you don't like DYK, don't click it. What's it to you if others enjoy it?? Your responses here are reminding me of Vinny flipping out over the new "friending" features... if it's not something you enjoy or want to use, then don't.

I don't know about you guys, but this website has not been primarily about snakes for me in a long long time. The first thing I do is check DYK, reply to PM's and catch up with my friends. THEN I talk snakes. I am saddened that some people only see this website as a business venture ie what can cornsnakes.com do for me and my reptuation.

Good post.

lol. It IS a snake site. If people like the DYK or want to use the site for networking/ making friends/ shooting the breeze, that is fine. But nothing wrong with those of us who are here for the SNAKE stuff and think the rest of it is getting ridiculous either! I'm sorry but every time I read that thread I get this "that's five minutes of my life I will never get back" feeling. How exactly am I missing out by avoiding something I don't personally enjoy?

If you feel like the DYK thread is "wasting five minutes of your life," then why are you still reading it?????

For what it's worth, I don't use the DYK thread either. I have many things to do in my spare time and catching up on a 30,000 reply conversational thread just doesn't fit.

But I'm also not going to sit there and say that a thread others enjoy has any impact whatsoever on my ability to use and enjoy the site. I just don't see what the big deal is....

And also, I think this thread is becoming a DYK thread.... ARGH! :headbang:

Why do you care so much?? If you don't like DYK, don't click it. What's it to you if others enjoy it?? Your responses here are reminding me of Vinny flipping out over the new "friending" features... if it's not something you enjoy or want to use, then don't.

Well, you can make connections all you want, but I think if you actually read my comments about my problems with that thread, then you'd already know the answer to your question. If you want to ignore some posts I've made already and ask a question that has already been answered (after taking statements from other posts out of context), that's fine. Go for it. it doesn't mean squat, but go for it. :)

Well Lauren as you are a contributing member you can go to insiders forum and read my "starting to bug me" thread where I kind of tried to explain it better. I just feel like something has changed for the worse from the way the site used to be and there is a certain quality, let's call it a degree of professionalism, a sense of seriousness and passion for the hobby that is missing or been lost or at least become a lower priority, and like there has been a sort of "dumbing down" . If that makes sense at all. I'm not good at explaining it in a way that doesn't get people po'd anyway.
Or maybe I am just being a big grouch.

Oh and you are right this thread has been all over the place for supposedly being about dragons in signatures.

I believe Torsten had the best suggestion. "Perhaps it would be nice to let people have ONE dragon if they are a contributor, Perhaps a nice compromise would be one dragon OR your banner but not both?"
I personally do not like the dragons. I view them as bling for people's posts and find them annoying. My own personal likes and dislikes aside, I do feel that Torsten proposed the best compromise if one is to be considered.

Actually, I thought I explained my reasoning pretty well in the initial post within this thread. Unless my understanding of how active links work and how internet servers work is faulty, there really isn't anything to debate..

I love to quote Rich. It makes me feel so authoratative!

Back