• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Miami Sunglow? oooookay...

Kat

I'm talkin' to YOU.
Okay... I'll bite. Anyone here know anything about this 'morph' (using the term loosely)? I've seen ads on that other forum for it, and the pictures posted look like straight up normal and amel hatchlings. The best guess I have at the moment was that someone bred a miami to a sunglow and paired up the offspring... and are clueless about what either term really means. :shrugs: :rolleyes:

In a more theoretical sense, is it even possible to conceptualize a snake that has enough miami characteristics to be called miami and still have enough sunglow characteristics to deserve the term sunglow? I can't really picture anything of the sort.

-Kat

Are they also selling giant dwarf corns?

I wonder how long it will take before someone is selling double paradox albinos? (Thats what you'd call them if they don't have any black on them, right?)

:roflmao:

...I wonder if I should dispense with the subtlety when calling BS on corn ads... :) Naaaah.. I wouldn't want to steal you guys' (Serp and Joe) schtick.

-Kat

Hehe.. okay, now I get to laugh amusedly... the same people are selling amels het sunglow. :rolleyes:

Say, anybody want to buy some Snows het Anery while yer at it? ;) Or some normals het okeetee? ;)

-Kat

Well I have some Amelanistics that are apparently het for normal. I know that must be the case, because I sometimes breed them to normals and half the babies are normal and the other half amelanistics. :crazy02:

:laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01:

Kat said:
Hehe.. okay, now I get to laugh amusedly... the same people are selling amels het sunglow. :rolleyes:

Say, anybody want to buy some Snows het Anery while yer at it? ;) Or some normals het okeetee? ;)

-Kat

I'd rather have a Snow het Amel. Could you get me a female? My male amel needs a bit more action next year.

LMFAO!!!

Kat said:

-Kat

Now wait a minute!
Why do I get the feeling no one knows what a sunglow really is?
A sunglow is homo for both albino and hypo. So, they CAN be selling amels het sunglow (hypo.)

There are amel Miami corns. And there are hypo Miami corns too. So a Miami that is both amel and hypo WOULD be a Miami sunglow.

Mark'sMorphs said:
Now wait a minute!
Why do I get the feeling no one knows what a sunglow really is?
A sunglow is homo for both albino and hypo. So, they CAN be selling amels het sunglow (hypo.)

There are amel Miami corns. And there are hypo Miami corns too. So a Miami that is both amel and hypo WOULD be a Miami sunglow.

No most people here have the right idea about sunglows it is you that is wrong. A sunglow is a amel with no white. A sunglow dose not have to have to have hypo to be a sunglow. I bet there are amels that are homo hypo that still have white so they could not be considered sunglow.

Billybobob said:
No most people here have the right idea about sunglows it is you that is wrong. A sunglow is a amel with no white. A sunglow dose not have to have to have hypo to be a sunglow. I bet there are amels that are homo hypo that still have white so they could not be considered sunglow.

No. A no-white amel is still a amel..not a sunglow.
Let me try and explain it this way. If you purchase a het for sunglow from Don @ South Mountain
http://www.cornsnakes.net/gallery.php3?id=34
What you will get is a normal corn that is het for both amel AND hypo. Only corns that are homozygous for both amel and hypo can rightfullly be called sunglows. The best sunglows are completly orange/red and have little or no white on them. The amount of white is reduced in amels when you add the hypo gene...it is the hypo gene that gives them the sunglow look. But ANY corn that is both amel and hypo is a sunglow no matter how much they glow or the amount of white they have. I would not use Miami phase corns to create sunglows because I think the colors would lack. However, if I did use only Miami phase animals to create my sunglows there certainly would be nothing wrong with calling them Miami sunglows...because that is just what they would be.

Mark'sMorphs said:
No. A no-white amel is still a amel..not a sunglow.
Let me try and explain it this way. If you purchase a het for sunglow from Don @ South Mountain
http://www.cornsnakes.net/gallery.php3?id=34
What you will get is a normal corn that is het for both amel AND hypo. Only corns that are homozygous for both amel and hypo can rightfullly be called sunglows. The best sunglows are completly orange/red and have little or no white on them. The amount of white is reduced in amels when you add the hypo gene...it is the hypo gene that gives them the sunglow look. But ANY corn that is both amel and hypo is a sunglow no matter how much they glow or the amount of white they have. I would not use Miami phase corns to create sunglows because I think the colors would lack. However, if I did use only Miami phase animals to create my sunglows there certainly would be nothing wrong with calling them Miami sunglows...because that is just what they would be.

Quoted from SMR -
"Sunglow Corn Snake
Pantherophis guttatus
These amelanistic have striking orange color contrast with little or no white margins. Most of ours have NO white as adults"

No mention of hypo.

A sunglow can be hom hypo, but it doesn't have to be.
Sunglow = Amel with no white.

Mary-Beth is KoRny said:
Quoted from SMR -
"Sunglow Corn Snake
Pantherophis guttatus
These amelanistic have striking orange color contrast with little or no white margins. Most of ours have NO white as adults"

No mention of hypo.

A sunglow can be hom hypo, but it doesn't have to be.
Sunglow = Amel with no white.

You beat me to it :flames:

As for Mark you are still wrong yes you can have a sunglow that is also homo for hypo but just because an amel is homo hypo that dose not make it a sunglow. By your defintion a amel that looks like a candycane could be a sunglow as long as it is homo hypo. A sunglow is a selectively bred amel that has littel to no white. All crimsons are hypo miamis but not all hypo miamis are crimsons. This is the same idea that i am trying to get you to understand.

And I could breed and sale very light anerys that look just like ghost but they still wouldn't be ghost. I prefer to keep and breed the real deal.
Yes, there are lots of people selling no-white amels as sunglows. Thats only because many people didn't know the right formula.

Mark'sMorphs said:
Thats only because many people didn't know the right formula.

Well you use Don's site as your reference but when it is shown that he does not use hypo blood in his animals he is wrong? :shrugs:

Mark'sMorphs said:
And I could breed and sale very light anerys that look just like ghost but they still wouldn't be ghost. I prefer to keep and breed the real deal.
Yes, there are lots of people selling no-white amels as sunglows. Thats only because many people didn't know the right formula.

A ghost is a snake that is homo for both hypo and anery so that would be wrong.

Like i said before a sunglow is just an amel that is selectively bred to have little to no white.

Do a search in this forum this topic has come up on other occasions

Billybobob said:
A ghost is a snake that is homo for both hypo and anery so that would be wrong.

That should have read:
A ghost is a snake that is homo for both hypo and anery so that would be a wrong thing to use as an example.

Just as a side note for someone who's screen name is Mark'sMorphs you seem to not have that good of a grasp on the definition of morphs.

Sorry Mark, but a sunglow is an amel with little or no white----being homo hypo has nothing to do with it.

Don I believe has said before that his sunglow line started with a hypo parent, but that's where it ends. Don's sunglows are not homozygous for hypo and amel, and his het sunglows are not het amel and hypo, either. Before you come off spouting what is and is not fact, you should check with Don first.

I do have to ask, though.

What happens when you've got an animal that is homozygous for amelanism and hypomelanism, and has tons of white? Is that a sunglow?

Sorry to say, but you're in the very vast minority of people who think that sunglows are homo hypo.

Oh, and btw, since when does HYPOMELANISM reduce white.....in any snake? The term is used to denoate a reduced amount of melanin---black pigment---not white or non pigment. And can you even visually identify an animal that is homo for amel and hypo? I'd be willing to bet that you cannot.

Back