• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OHIO HERPERS ( calling all)

What weekend is best ( pick one or two) for Herping Hocking Hills.

• June 6,7

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • June 13,14

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • June 20,21

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • June 27,28

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ForkedTung

Serpent Mound Monk
Anyone interested in doing some herping this Summer in Ohio? I'm not experienced, but after doing a little in Florida with Robbie( Robbiescornfield) and (StrangeCargo) Graham, I'd like to see what we have here...I already found a few species I ddin't know were in Ohio... I'm going to have to start getting more familiar with the herp laws here as well.
I found this cool little site with some nice pics here:
http://www.buckeyeherps.com/hognose1.php

I would be interested! I have just started getting out and looking...so far I have only seen Garters. Where are you located in Ohio?

I somehow doubt that there is much to find right in Columbus, but I have some friends who field herp here a lot. I'll ask them :)

I would be interested! I have just started getting out and looking...so far I have only seen Garters. Where are you located in Ohio?
Canton, I think we may have to head South for the good stuff!
I'm going to be looking into some of the local Herp societies and groups...any help, ideas would be great.
Ooooh! That sounds like fun! Matt and I have never been herping!
Cool let's give it a shot sometime, I guess we could see how many of us from this site want to go and work from there?
I somehow doubt that there is much to find right in Columbus, but I have some friends who field herp here a lot. I'll ask them
Great, let us know!
So is that four members so far?
Any ideas for names...lol
Kyle

Canton, I think we may have to head South for the good stuff!
I'm going to be looking into some of the local Herp societies and groups...any help, ideas would be great.

I heard Hocking Hills has some nice terrain for herping. I'm new to the Toledo Herp Society...I'll ask around at our next meeting.

I would be interested.:)

Aside from wanting to do some herping on my back property, I, especially, have been wanting to do some on my neighbor's property (neighbor's property, behind me and not counting that beside me, is over 100 acres - maybe 120?).
I, usually, ride horseback, on my neighbor's property (with permisson), so have not herped, there, as of yet (though I see other wildlife - turtles, deer, etc. while riding).

Anyway... Going elsewhere, in Ohio (to do some herping), would be great. Considering that not all Ohio species are found, in all areas of Ohio, makes going to different locations even better. With some friends ... great.:)

How about a planned weekend trip at Hocking Hills, it looks like there is alot of crossover species right there...
Sometime in late May or early June sound good?
I would probably go down and camp for the weekend, I have all the gear, experience and a son whom is more than willing, that way people can camp or come and go while whomever wants to stay is still there...

A couple links:

2009 online field guide,( look at the species in the Hocking County area( it's the one about 4 counties due north of the southernmost point of Ohio) , It looks to me like Eastern Hognose, Blue and Black Racers,and Milks, Eastern Milks, Red bellies etc...plus alot more)
http://www.flipseekllc.com/wildohio2009reptiles.html

ODNR reptile link:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/resources/reptiles/reptiles/tabid/5684/Default.aspx

Hey Kyle, can I come too? I know I'm not from Ohio....but I'm close enough, and we don't have anything fun around here. :(

Going out, to Hocking Hills, sounds great.
Much depends on the date/s, etc.

If it works out, for me to go, I would not be one to camp out but, instead, would either rent a cabin, or get a room somewhere, or other. If that is not possible (due to bookings or ?) ... then, perhaps, a day trip (at the least end) could work out (again, depending).

BTW Hocking Hills is a rather extensive place. So, a location, within HH, would have to be selected (of course, other info/coordinating would be needed as well ;) ).

Holy Christobers (says my son)...I LOVE HH. I've spent many many many hours cruising around Old Man's Cave. I'd love to hook up with you Ohio peeps. Do you have an exact date set?

Thanks, Deb...I guess I missed that in the earlier posts. My dad lives in North Olmsted, and I plan on visiting him right after the kids get out of school, but that's actually AFTER the first week in June, so I might miss it....I'll keep checking here for actual dates, though.

Back