• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OHIO HERPERS ( calling all)

What weekend is best ( pick one or two) for Herping Hocking Hills.

• June 6,7

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • June 13,14

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • June 20,21

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • June 27,28

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still taking suggestions for dates...I'm pretty open...So if you all wouldn't mind suggesting a weekend date, which day is usually better for you Sat or Sun and if you plan on spending the night. As soon as we can figure that out then we can figure out exactly where to meet and I'll probably be making primitive camping reservations there for myself and others that are interested.
Am I missing anything?

Well weekends are bad for me.. Lol, Racing and all. But, Sunday would be better for me if I was racing. If we can get a weekend when I'm not racing in June or May, which actually doesn't happen. Im racing every weekend. I'll try though. Like to meet some of you guys!

Where is Hocking Hills?

but that's actually AFTER the first week in June, so I might miss it....I'll keep checking here for actual dates, though.

Who knows, perhaps a date will be set where you are able to make it. Would be great if you can.

Still taking suggestions for dates

Due to various factors, I'm not sure if I can contribute to date/s. So, I may be left at the mercy of you all.;)
I will try to think of which dates may be best though.

Where is Hocking Hills?

It's located, more or less, in between Chillicothe, Athens, & Lancaster ... about an hour (+/-) SE of Columbus.

I was in Hocking Hills over the weekend (May 1-3). Although it was overcast and rainy, we found the following snakes:

Black Rat Snake - this one was photographed where he was - basking along a waterway.
blackrat.jpg

Eastern Garter - this one too was photographed as found, basking and in shed.
egarter.jpg

Midwest Worm Snake - the first one I've ever found (though I've caught Easterns in the past).
midworm.jpg

Northern Water Snake - by far the most commonly seen species.
northern.jpg

This Black Racer was patrolling the shoreline of Lake Hope.
racer.jpg

I also found a couple of Northern Ringneck Snakes, as well as many salamanders.
A person who worked for the park caught a Copperhead the day before I arrived.

Tim
Third Eye
http://www.thirdeyeherp.com/

Nice pics! Now I'm stoked about going!

I have already requested June 6th and 7th off of work for something else but this would take precedence...so I guess that is the date I'm throwing out there. Anybody else game for June 6th?

I was in Hocking Hills over the weekend (May 1-3). Although it was overcast and rainy, we found the following snakes:

Black Rat Snake - this one was photographed where he was - basking along a waterway.
blackrat.jpg

Eastern Garter - this one too was photographed as found, basking and in shed.
egarter.jpg

Midwest Worm Snake - the first one I've ever found (though I've caught Easterns in the past).
midworm.jpg

Northern Water Snake - by far the most commonly seen species.
northern.jpg

This Black Racer was patrolling the shoreline of Lake Hope.
racer.jpg

I also found a couple of Northern Ringneck Snakes, as well as many salamanders.
A person who worked for the park caught a Copperhead the day before I arrived.

Tim
Third Eye
http://www.thirdeyeherp.com/

Wow, Hi Tim, You know Jeff Risher, Dennis and Rosier/harleydan?
I'm down here in Canton as well, anyway do you have any advice for where to go? What to bring? etc.. anything for it seems that most of us are field herp noobs?

PS) I had a student bring in an Eastern Milksnake found here last year.

I have already requested June 6th and 7th off of work for something else but this would take precedence...so I guess that is the date I'm throwing out there. Anybody else game for June 6th?

I'm OK with the 6th and 7th...plenty of time to plan.
anyone else?

PS) People from the DUH-CO-TUHS are not welcome lol Brent, saw ya reading this...

June 6th and 7th would work for us,too. The kids are out of school and Matt's mom would be willing to keep them for the weekend.

If you guys don't mind I'd be interested in tagging along. I live in nelsonville Ohio going to Hocking college and havn't done any herping before outside of classes.

To ForkedTung: Yes, I've known Jeff Risher for at least 20 years - that's a good dude to know. Harley Dan has purchased snakes from me over the years.

As far as where to go, it depends what you're looking for. Snakes generally like open, sunny areas. These can be in the middle of the woods, or a field with woods nearby.

Lake Hope has railroad track running near it and this creates an open area (often with natural as well as artificial cover).

We didn't see any lizards (too wet out, I guess), but skinks and fence lizards live in the area. Box Turtles too.

Once I get all my photos together, I'll post a more "well rounded" summary of the trip.

Tim

June 6 is the date of the Columbus show so I am probably out for that date. I'll be out of town June 21-28 too, but the 7th could work for me if people will still be out herping then.

Crap.. Yea, June 6th I can't do. Racing. I'd love to go another time though if someone organizes it.

Enjoyed seeing the photos. Thanks, for sharing.:)

I'm OK with the 6th and 7th...plenty of time to plan.
anyone else?

I am on the fence as to whether June 6th/7th will work for me.
Hopefully, I can figure out, very soon, if those dates will be good (for me).

If you guys don't mind I'd be interested in tagging along.

Only if you bring each group member a gift - in the form of a snake of their choice.:D <just kidding>
Don't know, about anyone else, but I wouldn't mind if you came along.

Lemme know! I'll see if i can pester the parents into watching their grandchildren... maybe i can even get sunday off :)

If you guys don't mind I'd be interested in tagging along. I live in nelsonville Ohio going to Hocking college and havn't done any herping before outside of classes.
Nope no problem at all, I said earlier that all would be welcome, I think the more people we have the greater the chance of us all finding many and varied herps. Alhtough, minktrapper24 you may be able to "scope out" a few areas to go herping...I'm new to this as well but transition zones especially ones with a water source and cover are always good places to start.

I think the more people we have the greater the chance of us all finding many and varied herps.

And if you don't find any animals you can all go back to Kyle's house, he can release his snakes, you can all count to 100....:roflmao:

Kyle, just so you know, I'm not going to be able to make it. Don't hold up your plans on my account though.

D80

Back