• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Blued Steel" Pippies!

I was thinking, since all the offspring of Marc's SBG mot x SBG mot look the same, the parents are surely carrying a dilute-hypo combination on 1 gene. In that case, the offspring would have shown 3 phenotypes; DiDi, DiHy and HyHy. So, apparently, these parents are homo anery and homo dilute, or triple homo (also for hypo A), right? I think the latter, cause the dad is quite pink, like the triple homo blue ghost shown in this thread. And my silver blue mot is somewhat lighter then most of the blued steel baby's in this thread. Maybe someones suggested the above already, but I'm not sure about that and i am really curious.

Ya, I agree, it appears that Marc's are anery motley dilutes. :)

Joe, the look of that hypo motley is familiar. I want to see more pics of it. :santa:

Serpwidgets said:
Joe, the look of that hypo motley is familiar. I want to see more pics of it. :santa:
OK, Rob will be sending me some more photos as soon as they shed.

Familiar, as in you have seen something similar before, or it looks like Hypo Motleys you have seen before? I haven't hatched out a Hypo Motley, so I don't know, except from the photos I have seen.

I questioned Rob about the breeding history of the Blue Motley male that produced this clutch. He was apparently the male that produced the Hets for Blue Motley Pewters also. He has proven to be het for Hypo, so the Hets for Blue Motley Pewters would have been Het Dilute and 50% poss het Hypo. About 50% Dilutes would have been expected, which seems to be the case, if you add the Blues and “Hypos” together. I am not sure at this point that anybody could pick out a Dilute, Dilute Hypo or Hypo in the same clutch with any certainty, unless the Anery gene is also in the mix.

It seems as if Rob has picked out the Blues and Hypo Blues, but is seems likely that the Dilutes and Hypos that he has produced from this group have been lumped together as hypos.

ecreipeoj said:
Familiar, as in you have seen something similar before, or it looks like Hypo Motleys you have seen before?
WindyCollage.jpg

She was originally thought to be a hypo motley. She came from parents that looked like her, the one sibling we had also looked the same. (My understanding is that this is what her parents look like: http://cornsnake.net/gallery.php3?id=59)

She was crossed to a blood het hypo, and no hypos resulted, so the conclusion for now is that she's not hypo. (There were 9 hatchlings, so it's still possible that I was simply unlucky. Here's the clutch: http://www.cccorns.com/Clutch16.php)

There's something about the quality of the colors that just strikes me as similar. The pic you posted is what she and her sister looked like as hatchlings.

(One other point of interest about this female: her eyes are light tan, same as her ground color.)

Serpwidgets said:
There's something about the quality of the colors that just strikes me as similar. The pic you posted is what she and her sister looked like as hatchlings.
I remember you talking about her before. She sure does look like a Hypo Motley. Do you happen to have her hatchling photos, so we can compare too?

Hypo Lavender X Blue Motley F-1's

I received an email from Rob that one of his Hypo het Lav Blue Motley clutches was hatching.
Joe
Here is what hatched out so far. Out of the others there seems to be one more
like this one and the rest are either normal or hypo. He is showing more purplish color than shows in the photo. Much different than Pastels. I will send another pic a soon as more come out.
Later ROB

So what morph do you think this one is? Hypo Dilute Lav Motley?, or Hypo Lav Motley, or Dilute Lav Motley? Or is the Anery gene in the mix too?

The first thing that jumped out at me when I received this email is that he is hatchling Hypos and Normals in the same clutch. The only explanation that I can come up with is that he did not save back only Hypos, but one of these parents is a Dilute. The pairing would have to be a Hypo X Dilute and one of them was het for the other gene. This would also mean that the Hypo Lav Rob used to start this project was carrying the Dilute gene, which would be the first link to my Sunsets.

Attachments

• Hypo het Blue Motley Lav hatchling.jpg
    Hypo het Blue Motley Lav hatchling.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Hypo het Blue Motley Lav hatchling1rs.jpg
    Hypo het Blue Motley Lav hatchling1rs.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Hypo het Blue Motley Lav hatchling2rs.jpg.jpg
    Hypo het Blue Motley Lav hatchling2rs.jpg.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 59
It's too dark to be a Hypo Lav Mot. Looks like a Dilute Lav Motley. It really makes me wonder about some of the odd ball lavs I hatched this year.

carol said:
It's too dark to be a Hypo Lav Mot. Looks like a Dilute Lav Motley. It really makes me wonder about some of the odd ball lavs I hatched this year.
I have been wondering what is going on in a couple of my Lavender Groups for a couple of years now. I knew I didn’t have the hypo gene in the mix, but something very similar to a Hypo Lav would pop up every now and then. Here are a few photos of the some odd ball Lav Motleys that I started calling “Sunset” Motleys. These photos were taken when they were very small and look similar to the one that Rob just hatched out, but Robs seems to be more purple and something else seems different, but I can't put my finger on it.

Today, the male doesn’t look as dramatically different as he did when he was a hatchling. I have been watching the lavender color come in gradually over the years, and now he looks similar to a high pink Lav Motley.

Attachments

• P3240015.JPG
    P3240015.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 77
  • P2230003.JPG
    P2230003.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0055ers.JPG
    DSC_0055ers.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0053ces.JPG
    DSC_0053ces.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I asked Rob about the “Normals” in the clutch and he double check and they are all Hypos, so my link to the Sunsets is no longer.
Joe
I don't know what I was thinking. They are Hypo's, I just went look to make
sure. As for what morph it is, all I know is that it has more of
Bluish tint to it than the Pastels that come from the same line.
I will try and get a comparison shot as soon as they all pop out.
Thanks Rob

Rob's results are really giving me goosebumps! Those baby pics are exactly what I would expect them to look like. I've not seen any of my hypo babies look unusual or dilute...yet. I couldn't swear about any of the ghost hatchlings however. But the effects of the dilute trait in some morphs may be very subtle...like in the lavenders. I can definately see a subtle blue wash in the subadult pics, but the color of mature lavenders and hypolavs may be too similar to that of dilute lavs/hypolavs in some individuals.

I've attached some pics of this year's hypo motley female hatchling and some of the '04 males. They share the same mother, but different fathers...mother may be het dilute and father of the males may be het dilute...but neither are proven. (Pics in order - '06 female just after 1st shed, 1st male Nov '04 and March '06, 2nd male Oct '04 and Oct '05) None of these look to be dilute, but it would be interesting to test breed Serp's "hypo" female.

Last edited:
mmm my amel is showing something very simular to this but in pink red colous rather than the blues that are being seen in these anerys.

infact my amel looks very like the second one down that you just posted susan however it was sold as amel without hypo in it. Pity I cant test it for a few years to see if their is hypo in it I suspect there might be. 1st male Nov '04 is the one that looks most like my little one.

mmm even if my little one was hypo it would be masked by the amel so something is deffinetly going on with him or her. I will try to get some good pices up of him her soon.

I should be able to test out the lavs and hypo lavs in a few years as well as I can use the pair I am getting with my amel as well as pair them without the possible trait in as well.

Blue Motley het Hypo X Het Blue Motley Pewter 50% poss het Hypo

These first two photos are of hatchings from Robs hets for Blue Motley Pewter female. It makes since that the “hypo” looking hatchlings in the first two photos are most likely the Dilute phenotypes, unless Rob happened to pick out a 50% poss het Hypo female. The Blue Motley father of this clutch has proven to be het for Hypo, so it clouds the issue. The Normal Blue is also in one of the photos.

The last photo is of a female Striped Blue from a different clutch.

Attachments

• Dilute Motleyrs.jpg
    Dilute Motleyrs.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Diluters.jpg
    Diluters.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Blue Stripedrs.jpg
    Blue Stripedrs.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 39
Back