• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Will a corn snake eat other snakes?

I'm sure he's doing the best he can. (See DYK for explanation!)

LOL!!!! Yup, I am sure he is!

(my opinion is that anyone who purposely puts his pets at risk of injury or death after being warned about what can happen by people FAR more intelligent and more experianced, is a crap keeper at best, and practices animal cruelty at worst.)

pfft. Is that 1, 2, 3, or 4 ?? and what page.

But..it's time to move on folks.

Now now Dave, you should know by now that this thread is a hot button topic, and it will run its course. And either the OP will listen to reason, and do what is right for the animals that depend on him, or he won't. And if he continues on this course and is lucky, then he will never see the damage he is doing. His animals will just mostly suffer from shortened lifespans and he will never see it. Or something horrible will happen which will be ALL HIS FAULT, and he will never admit it.

Now now Dave, you should know by now that this thread is a hot button topic, and it will run its course. And either the OP will listen to reason, and do what is right for the animals that depend on him, or he won't. And if he continues on this course and is lucky, then he will never see the damage he is doing. His animals will just mostly suffer from shortened lifespans and he will never see it. Or something horrible will happen which will be ALL HIS FAULT, and he will never admit it.

The suffering from a shortened lifespan and never understand it is the way I think it will pan out. Just ANOTHER :headbang: we have here.

There is a bigger problem than that, I know at Petco, our "Care sheets" state that snakes of the same species can be kept together. It sickens me and I have, more than once, written an email to corporate about how our care sheets need to be updated. But, I doubt they will listen...

I am going to take a sharpie with me when ever I go to petco and black out that section. :grin01:

I am going to take a sharpie with me when ever I go to petco and black out that section. :grin01:

Believe me, I have been tempted to do that. But I do not need to get fired because I think our policies are stupid. Unfortunately I need the money.

This is probably one of the Top things you learn first about housing snakes
Each one prefers its own space.
Honestly think about them in the wild most snakes are solitary as to not have to
compete with any others for dominance and food, really the only time they are
bunched together is to mate.
It like having some random person walking into your house, laying down on the couch
and not leaving, eating your food, taking up your personal space or maybe going
psychotic and killing you over something they wanted of yours!!
Honestly would you want that happening to you? I would certainly hope not.
Things could go well for a while but you never know its an animal and they can
get fed up. PRIME example mans best friend. Had the dog since he was a pup, your
inseparable than one day you do something that randomly triggers your "best friend"
to turn on you and your the one dealing with consequences not matter how severe
they are.
Honestly I would really erg you to reconsider you ways of housing as to not have
a serious consequence on your hands ending up with dead or very injured snakes,
inevitably setting you back in plans you may have in the future.
People wouldn't waste there time trying to help you before something bad happens
if it wasn't a very true fact.
We are just trying to show you can benefit from this information in the future
without the huge risk to your snakes.
Please please rethink your housing for the sake of your snakes.

It's just frustrating that there are two snakes at risk, or maybe more, I can't even keep track of what he is cohabbing now. I've just never seen anybody act this stubborn about it. He is insulting every knowledgeable member here, basically telling them they are wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY&feature=related

I've never had snakes that regurgitate, save for pet garter snakes. They regurgitate when the are stressed. I've never had this happen to my other snakes. You guys are over reacting to the boas being co-habbed together. If it was a pair of king snakes or indego snakes I could see your point. If a red tail eats another snakes something is wrong with the snake because of the owner's miss care, which does not relate to co habbing, but likely a feeding or heating mistake.

I understand your all very upset, but if you want me to stop keeping the boas together please tell me why they are almost always inseparable. No matter what, even when I take them out of the cage, they find each other and curl up. I would also like you all to stop, right now, referring to the snakes as if they were mammals. Fact is, snakes really don't give a rat's ass. They are reptiles, and what reptiles do with most of their life is sleep, save for a few species. These snakes are not obnoxious mammilian house mates. As long as they are properly well fed, as in they are fed seperately in a different feeding cage, and cleaned off after feeding, then they should be fine. Their cage should also be large enough to stretch out at least 3 quarters of their body to reduce stress. This is true to most tropical snakes since they move around a lot. Bull snakes tend to find a tight burrow and curl up in it, despite their size, but I still give them good space. Snake behavior is simple, but necessary to keeping them healthy. The cage should also be cleaned regularly, especially with colubrids. I check my colubrids every day since they are pooping machines. Boas eat and poop a lot less often so its not that difficult. The snakes are fine together as long as they are healthy and aren't cannibalistic by normal behavior.

Another point I'd like to make, is that none of you have ever even asked me what I keep my snakes in. Maybe most of you are thinking I keep my snakes in rubbermaid containers. Your right, except for the boas. They are in a very large cage I ordered on animal plastics. They will get bigger yet, and I will keep them in one that I am going to make myself. Snakes know other snakes are other snakes, and that mammals are food. This is why my boas have not eaten each other. I've kept baby boas in with my big one, and he never ate them. I've studied their behavior extensively in and out of the cage. I am not worried about the boas. Colubrids are a different story.

Can I ask the OP why they started this thread asking for advice and then proceeded to argue with anything they didn't want to hear....
If you had already made up your mind to the answer what was the need to make a post?..

As long as they areproperly well fed, as in they are fed seperately in a different feeding cage, and cleaned off after feeding, then they should be fine.

SHOULD be fine.... SHOULD be.....but if they had their own cages, they WOULD Be fine!! Things happen. Even more bad things happen to animals owned by idiots. Statistical fact.....

Believe me, I have been tempted to do that. But I do not need to get fired because I think our policies are stupid. Unfortunately I need the money.

I dont blame you but you can have some comfort knowing that I am doing it. What are they going to do to me, ask me to leave? Plus at all the petcos by me, non of the employees pay attention. I could probably sit down in the reptile department to do it and no one would care.

I had a friend who kept pythons in a large tank. Two balls and he added a baby retic. The retic got too strong for the lid and started escaping. Rajah was always found around feeding time and returned to the tank. The reticulated python eventually tried to eat one of the balls. This guy had to force the snakes apart twice before he decided to give up the retic and the smaller ball python (that wasn't eating). My husband and I spent a year trying to convince him that keeping those snakes together was wrong, but he had to wait until something bad happened before listening. He also kept saying that pythons don't eat each other.

I know that these were two different types of python, but I wouldn't have said anything until I read that baby boas were also kept in the common boa enclosure. Snakes may not be mammals, but they still know how to fight and can crush a smaller one.

A few quotes from a variety of websites on Boa's.

"Boas devour a variety of prey in the wild - amphibians, lizards, other snakes, birds and mammals. In captivity, they should be fed pre-killed mice, rats and, when adults, rabbits and chickens."

Also, If I were the OP, I would go to Redtailboa.net and do a search for cannibalism on there. I just did and there are many threads on the topic, including this answer from the thread

TammyJamaica said:
Hi there JoaBoa. I guess by now you are thinking of leaving this site, right???

Please do not, before I get my bit in too.

First off, i see you say you have owned many boas but never before housed them together. What made you decide to do so now? Sometimes we think we have a good reason for doing something and do not think of the possible consequences...until something like disease or an accident like what happened to me happens. I had young boas in the same tank once and one ate another one (about half way before vomiting him back out). I hated myself for a good while after that.

Other thing I thought was - please do not put a new snake anywhere near any of your present ones, because of the risk of spreading mites and other disease like IBD, which is deadly and extremely contagious. Quarantine is needed for at least two months, I would think.

Again, the behaviour of the boa you say is nervous and jumpy, may be due to being housed with the other one, They need to feel that they are safe and secure in their own space - just like we do in our own bedrooms.

Last, I totally understand you want to have a nice big beautiful tank as a display in your home because it does look great. If you decide to continue keeping your 2 former boas together in it, i wish you luck and good fortune, but think about separating them and please, quarantine the new one!
Mites
Mites, close relatives of fleas and ticks

Geek Auto Linker or Gallon
Geek Auto Linker

Gallon - United States liquid unit equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters

Inclusion Body Disease
IBD

So, there you have it, from Boa people. Cohabing your snakes is a very dumb idea. If you insist on doing so, you are being ignorant.

But OP, as I can see from your posts in this thread, you believe all of us to have no idea what we are talking about, so why would you put your trust in the knowledge of people who own and breed RTBs?

Can I ask the OP why they started this thread asking for advice and then proceeded to argue with anything they didn't want to hear....
If you had already made up your mind to the answer what was the need to make a post?..
I was just about to post the SAME EXACT thing until I saw your post... Come ask for advice, you get advice then bitch about the advice. To the OP... Keep your snakes together go ahead and wait till one gets sick. Then pay for both to be treated. Then you will be back asking, "both Boas are sick, what do i do? i can't afford to go to the vet" Good luck and I feel sorry for your snakes =(

I was just about to post the SAME EXACT thing until I saw your post... Come ask for advice, you get advice then bitch about the advice. To the OP... Keep your snakes together go ahead and wait till one gets sick. Then pay for both to be treated. Then you will be back asking, "both Boas are sick, what do i do? i can't afford to go to the vet" Good luck and I feel sorry for your snakes =(
A better question to the OP....
Why ask advice on cornsnakes and then talk about Boas????
Something you want to tell us???

Back