• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Will a corn snake eat other snakes?

Outcast: Been over that already in this thread...in fact a bunch of those same pictures are already posted here.

Cool, Just covering the bases, because the OP stated that they still have their boa's together. Just wanted to emphasize that it is not only Colubrids that Cannibalize.

Nice videos. Your male corn has belly checks... that would mean that he is not bloodred (diffused). He looks like a classic to me.

Here is a paper I found talking about a species of snake that will choose a better microhabitat even with a high risk of predation by another snake.

http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/20/2/271.full

Now obviously the species are different than those we are talking about, but the point I am trying to make is that snakes will go to great risk to have the optimum conditions, why not provide it for our pets without risk?

Here is a paper I found talking about a species of snake that will choose a better microhabitat even with a high risk of predation by another snake.

http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/20/2/271.full

Now obviously the species are different than those we are talking about, but the point I am trying to make is that snakes will go to great risk to have the optimum conditions, why not provide it for our pets without risk?

I definately would not keep a king snake with another snake, because of their behavior. My boas on the other hand don't mind so much. It is rare for Boa Constrictors, specifically Red Tails to cannibalize. I have some good friends who've co-habbed these kind of snakes for 10 & 15+ years with no cannibalism.

This is a good article and they have a lot of sources. In the wild I have found garter snakes mostly of the same size together. I also found an American Black Racer that was about the size of my male corn snake. It was huge and scary because it was mad. It was under a board with two slightly smaller ghost (non albino) gopher snakes. I was scared because I was little and had only ever seen garter snakes, and here were 3 giant snakes that I didn't know about. Seems like snakes of the same size don't mind co-habbing (depending on the species).

I definately would not keep a king snake with another snake, because of their behavior. My boas on the other hand don't mind so much. It is rare for Boa Constrictors, specifically Red Tails to cannibalize. I have some good friends who've co-habbed these kind of snakes for 10 & 15+ years with no cannibalism.

This is a good article and they have a lot of sources. In the wild I have found garter snakes mostly of the same size together. I also found an American Black Racer that was about the size of my male corn snake. It was huge and scary because it was mad. It was under a board with two slightly smaller ghost (non albino) gopher snakes. I was scared because I was little and had only ever seen garter snakes, and here were 3 giant snakes that I didn't know about. Seems like snakes of the same size don't mind co-habbing (depending on the species).

So, According to you, the risk is worth putting your snakes life in danger, just because they seem to "not mind"?

Also, just because a black racer was under the same board as two snakes of a different species does not mean they were living under that board together. They all found a way to escape the heat or cold and liked the same board. Believe me, they all had a route of escape if one of the others decided to try and eat anyone else. Your "pets" on the other had, do not have that ability, being locked in the same container as their cage mate. I seriously hope that nothing bad happens to your snakes, but doing something stupid, just because someone else has done it for 10-15 years and never experienced anything bad, is not a good reason.

I fed Old Roy dog food to my dogs for the majority of my life, until I found out that I was feeding them crap, because someone explained to me what exactly went into it. I did not say, "I have done it all my life, and my father has done it for years, so it must be good." No, I learned my lesson and changed my ways.

Outcast: The OP is informed of the risks. Like I said go back to the begining of the thread and read it all. There is no point in going over the same information in the same thread for the same person. He has made his decision and whether the rest of us agree with him or not, he knows the risks. I understand informing someone of new information. But this not new information in this thread.

Not trying to be the thread police. Just don't see the point of repeating what has already been said in the very same thread.

Outcast: The OP is informed of the risks. Like I said go back to the begining of the thread and read it all. There is no point in going over the same information in the same thread for the same person. He has made his decision and whether the rest of us agree with him or not, he knows the risks. I understand informing someone of new information. But this not new information in this thread.

Not trying to be the thread police. Just don't see the point of repeating what has already been said in the very same thread.

I once knew an Evangelist, He preached the same sermon for 9 days straight. When asked why he did not change the subject of his sermons, he stated that "When you learn what the lesson means, I will change what I am saying".

I have read the post from the beginning, and if you do not want to play thread police, then don't. I will not back down from my stance, just because you think it has been said enough, or just because the OP is set in their ways of putting their animals at unnecessary risk.

I once knew an Evangelist, He preached the same sermon for 9 days straight. When asked why he did not change the subject of his sermons, he stated that "When you learn what the lesson means, I will change what I am saying".

I have read the post from the beginning... my stance... has been said enough... because the OP is set in their ways... unnecessary.

No matter what you say, I am keeping the boas together. If you don't understand this, then perhaps this other video will show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ&feature=related

Outcast: My main reason for saying it was that earlier in the thread it was getting into more of an almost name calling thing that wasn't productive. I was just trying to avoid that situation again. But if you think you can persuade the OP in a different way have at it. As I am definitely not in the corner of cohabbing any snake species.

Outcast: My main reason for saying it was that earlier in the thread it was getting into more of an almost name calling thing that wasn't productive. I was just trying to avoid that situation again. But if you think you can persuade the OP in a different way have at it. As I am definitely not in the corner of cohabbing any snake species.

I think you are totally right, and I was also scolded earlier in the thread for making the same comment.

I give up. If the OP wants to continue to place his snakes lives in danger then so be it. It is obvious that none of the information presented to show that there is danger involved has sunk in, and will not, until something horrible happens to the boa's involved.

I give up. If the OP wants to continue to place his snakes lives in danger then so be it. It is obvious that none of the information presented to show that there is danger involved has sunk in, and will not, until something horrible happens to the boa's involved.

Nothing bad will happen to them because I am sure red tailed boas are not prone to cannibalism, and that it is very common practice to keep them together. I assure you they are in no danger. You don't need to be so scared.:realhot:

Nothing bad will happen to them because I am sure red tailed boas are not prone to cannibalism, and that it is very common practice to keep them together. I assure you they are in no danger. You don't need to be so scared.:realhot:
But if you are wrong I'll bet you don't come back and admit it.....
Gamblers are always like that.... Only tell you about the winners......

Snakes, all snakes, are opportunistic feeders. If it feels hungry and see's the other Red Tail as a possible food source, you can say goodbye to your pets, because chances are, both will die.

Oh well... We have properly warned the OP. Some people don't mind taking calculated risks with the lives of their pets.

In the end, I'm not so sure it is any different from the decision to breed- except when you breed you get babies out of the deal. I'm not sure what you get out of cohabbing, except more shelf space.

I think that not cohabbing is easier by a long-shot. I cam see who pooped when. I know who regurges. I know that I'm not going to have a surprise clutch of eggs or a snake injured from a disagreement with its cage-mate.

But, I don't really care in the end. The OP seems to take care of his snakes beyond the cohabbing thing. I have seen people do dumber things with their children.

It's just frustrating that there are two snakes at risk, or maybe more, I can't even keep track of what he is cohabbing now. I've just never seen anybody act this stubborn about it. He is insulting every knowledgeable member here, basically telling them they are wrong.

Back