• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DAYTONA 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

My Reply From FWC

Thank you for contacting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).

Yes, you will need the Class III Exhibition and Sale license.

When you fill out the inventory, just list the animals you possess currently. You will only need to list the species you plan on breeding.

For the disaster plan, you will need to fill out both parts. Part B does go into a lot of detail due to the fact that the form is a requirement for everyone who is licensed with FWC for animal possession, whether the entity is a large zoo or a private hobbyist; fill it out to the best of your abilities and submit part A with your application. Since you have a small number of animals, the emergency plan that you stated should be sufficient.

The license application with your current animal inventory, part A of the disaster plan, and a $50 check or money order are what you need to send to us.

If you have any further questions feel free to call us at 850-488-6253.

Thank you,
FWC Customer Service

This was my question about the diaster plan:

And am I to fill out the disaster plan, Part A- simple enough, but Part B asks for an emergency plan. So should I just fill it out with what I would plan to do in an event such as a hurricane, which would be to pack up all snakes in bags in their (lockable) feeding containers and evacuate to a safe location? I don't really have any "capture equipment" or "emergency supplies" or such, although I have put much thought into exactly what my plan would be if I had to take the animals and leave. Do you really want this information for a small "for fun" hobbyist with no employees or "facility" (it's just my house!)? I'd be more than happy to come up with something if required.

(I had also asked if they wanted an inventory of all my animals including things I was never going to breed, like Isabel my Pogona vitticeps, and what did they want to do about the prospective hatchlings).

Guys guys guys!! Guess what??? It looks like I'm going to Daytona!!! -glee- Got a friend that lives about 45 mins away from the venue so I'm going to stay with her!

US ARK raffle ideas...

IF we are lucky enough to get some really nice, non-corn donations as we did last year, I am really hoping to get more $$$ for them this year. I talked to Andrew about setting up a few of the more expensive animals / items on his table Sat., and selling tickets all day. The tickets would have to have a space to write contact info in, so buyers would not have to be present to win. Then we could move them to the dinner and sell more tickets to our group. I think that is the only way to get what they are really worth if we get offers of fairly valuable boas and pythons, etc.

Andrew said that sounds fine to him, but he might not have enough volunteers to run it on Sat. So if we had a few volunteers who are not vending, and who could each spend a few hours Sat. to run it at his table, that would solve the problem.

If we planned it far enough in advance, I would try to get Bill to design some signs to put on the table to explain what we are doing, who we are, etc. All of it depends on getting enough donations to be worthwhile, of course.

What does everyone think of this idea?

IF we are lucky enough to get some really nice, non-corn donations as we did last year, I am really hoping to get more $$$ for them this year. I talked to Andrew about setting up a few of the more expensive animals / items on his table Sat., and selling tickets all day. The tickets would have to have a space to write contact info in, so buyers would not have to be present to win. Then we could move them to the dinner and sell more tickets to our group. I think that is the only way to get what they are really worth if we get offers of fairly valuable boas and pythons, etc.

Andrew said that sounds fine to him, but he might not have enough volunteers to run it on Sat. So if we had a few volunteers who are not vending, and who could each spend a few hours Sat. to run it at his table, that would solve the problem.

If we planned it far enough in advance, I would try to get Bill to design some signs to put on the table to explain what we are doing, who we are, etc. All of it depends on getting enough donations to be worthwhile, of course.

What does everyone think of this idea?

I think that would be a great idea Kathy! And I am sure we have enough people attending that we could have some folks sit in over there on "shifts".

Kathy, I want to volunteer at the USARK table this year but dont know who to contact? Do they have a web page for volunteers?

You can just email Andrew from the website. But maybe you would like to volunteer on Sat. at their table to run our raffle? Andrew has a bigger group to draw from than we do, so has a better chance to get more volunteers than we do. But if you want to help Sun, or we have more volunteers than we need, I bet he would be happy for more.

Thanks, I will email him! This will keep me away from the tables for a few hours, therefore keeping me for purchasing too many snakes lol.

NEED RESPONSES

Ok - was in touch with our contact at the hotel in regards to dinner. This was the one aspect that did not go as smoothly as we would have liked last year.

I have found that we can have more than one option available for dinner as long as we pay for at least 10 meals of each option. She strongly suggests only doing two options though as any more than that can get a little out of control with making sure the food is out and available in a timely fashion since they do not have a large staff at the hotel. She also recommends doing tickets so that people can only "get what they paid for" - as far as which choice. She has had problems in the past where people see (for example) both beef and chicken and think they can take both when they only paid for beef and then they run out. She advised she can have staff serving and taking tickets to make sure this does not happen.

For review - here are the menu choices again:

Deli Platter: Assorted Deli Meats and Cheeses served with Breads, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Onions, Condiments, Salad Bar, Chips and Beverages. $11.95++ per person (minimum of 10 people) add soup for $2.00 per person

Italian Delight: Choice of one: Chicken Alfredo over Vegetables; Meat or Vegetable Lasagna; or Spaghetti and Meatballs, all served with Garlic Bread, Salad Bar and Beverages. $16.95++ per person (minimum 10 people)

Just Like Mom: Choice of one: Meatloaf with Brown Gravy; Pepper Steak; Chicken and Dumplings all served with Macaroni and Cheese, Salad Bar and Beverages. $16.95++ per person (minimum of 10 people.

Mexican Fiesta: Choice of one: Chicken Quesadillas; Enchiladas; or Hard and Soft Tacos all served with Mexican Corn, Salad Bar and Beverages. $16.95++ per person (minimum of 10 people)

Asian Persuasion: Choice of one: Pot Stickers and Shrimp or Vegetable Egg Rolls; Beef with Broccoli, Orange Chicken or General Tsao’s Chicken all served with Fried Rice, Salad Bar and Beverages. $16.95++ per person (minimum of 10 people)

So basically - as long as we have at least 10 orders of each - we could have the deli platter and one of the Italian options. Or we could have one of the Asian options and one of the Mexican Fiesta options. Only requirement is we have to pay for at least 10 of each.

Let me know your thoughts.....

Sounds like the same caterer as last year. I was hoping maybe they had a second choice of providers this year.

I guess any of the other choices might be better than what we had last year - I wasn't too impressed, although it was ok. I would probably prefer the Italian or "mom" choices over the others, though.

The ticket idea sounds fine to me.

Mmmmmm.... I concur!!

Just Like Mom: Choice of one: Meatloaf with Brown Gravy; Pepper Steak; Chicken and Dumplings all served with Macaroni and Cheese, Salad Bar and Beverages. $16.95++ per person (minimum of 10 people

= yummy

Could we have a poll and let people vote for two things? I thought the sandwiches were of the devil. I _know_ you worked really, really, really hard on the whole thing, and I am not unappreciative of that.

I am stupid & lazy, but want to come to Daytona. So here are my dumb questions:
1) exact dates of show?
and
2) if I am coming (and I'll know in about 7-14 days), does anyone want to share a room?

August 20-22. The important day is Saturday the 21st. We will have the Cornsnake Dinner that night.

Orlando is the cheapest to fly into, probably. Katie is a travel agent, though. Robbie will do airport pick-ups.

Check Sanford....

August 20-22. The important day is Saturday the 21st. We will have the Cornsnake Dinner that night.

Orlando is the cheapest to fly into, probably. Katie is a travel agent, though. Robbie will do airport pick-ups.

to fly into. Historically cheaper; at least 5 or 6 years ago.

Keep in mind with the other dinner choices - we only get one out of the group - so the Italian option - it would be either Chicken Alfredo OR Spaghetti and Meatballs for example. They don't have all of them there and you can choose at the time.

Kathy - they don't have an outside caterer - the hotel does it themselves.

Back