• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fresh dead vs f/t?

I like watching snakes hunt in their natural habitat or any animal hunt in their natural habitats i.e. Lions vs Water buffalo.

A tub or a glass tank is not what I would consider their natural habitat nor would I consider a zoo a natural habitat. You don't see zoo keepers throwing in a live deer in the Tiger cage? I should also add that I hand feed my beardie her crickets as well.

I like watching snakes hunt in their natural habitat or any animal hunt in their natural habitats i.e. Lions vs Water buffalo.

A tub or a glass tank is not what I would consider their natural habitat nor would I consider a zoo a natural habitat. You don't see zoo keepers throwing in a live deer in the Tiger cage? I should also add that I hand feed my beardie her crickets as well.

Oh crickets can be nasty bitey things!! (not to mention stinky).

Oh crickets can be nasty bitey things!! (not to mention stinky).

Yes, they are but I feed Dubia Roaches anymore, they have alot better nutritional value for tarantulas, dont stink, cant climb smooth surfaces and dont fly.:) Plus they are 2" long which my T. Blondi appreciates, my daughter however likes to chear for the roaches.

Yes, they are but I feed Dubia Roaches anymore, they have alot better nutritional value for tarantulas, dont stink, cant climb smooth surfaces and dont fly.:) Plus they are 2" long which my T. Blondi appreciates, my daughter however likes to chear for the roaches.

Years ago I had a leo, and would tweezer feed her crickets.
Back then I had not even heard of dubias.

Still 11 bucks for 6 equals $1.83 each small fuzzy

19 bucks for 100 plus 50 bucks shipping equals $.69 each fuzzy...

but I do see your point. Your snake will grow out of the fuzzies before the next size. I have about 30 large pinkies that my snakes have grown out of. Thankfully, I have got a small rescue that will be eating them in a month or so. None of them have freezer burn and they have been sitting in my freezer since Nov.

some of us, like myself, can not breed our own feeders. My reason is probably rare but still. With communities like this you can go in on orders with people, so that you can have what you need without having excess.

On the feeder note for corns though, my boy just shed yesterday, and when I get home on, Monday I will be feeding him for the first time. I have heard differing opinions on feeding in the new enclosure or moving him out to a cleared enclosure for feeding. What is everyones opinion on this?

I have owned snakes for 17 years and have always fed f/t.
I have the troll on ignore, is it still yapping away about how wonderful it is to have a killer as a pet?

Another feeling I have is that there are certain segments of the population who fear snakes, and can't view them as pets. These people are likely targets of the PETA and HSUS propaganda machine against the hobby. Feeding a live terrified small animal to a "pet", and bragging about having a killer under your roof only gives these groups and politicians more fuel, and does much more harm than good on the public relations front. Dogs, cats and other carnivorous pets eat prepared food and are considered companion animals and are not targeted by groups such as this. Bans are proposed all across this country as we speak, and although we should be pulling together, we also need to be aware of how this hobby looks to outsiders. Because ultimately the outsiders will decide this hobby's fate.

Very good point!!!
For the ones who think live feeding is essential. This point should be also considered as the deciding factor.

I wont be feeding Juju bean dubias because of my own gross out effect they have on me. Crickets are nasty and can do damage. they stink but I buy a cricket club card and can get the discount of ordering a large amount without having to deal with it. I get no more than a 60 at one time.

Still 11 bucks for 6 equals $1.83 each small fuzzy

19 bucks for 100 plus 50 bucks shipping equals $.69 each fuzzy...

but I do see your point. Your snake will grow out of the fuzzies before the next size. I have about 30 large pinkies that my snakes have grown out of. Thankfully, I have got a small rescue that will be eating them in a month or so. None of them have freezer burn and they have been sitting in my freezer since Nov.

some of us, like myself, can not breed our own feeders. My reason is probably rare but still. With communities like this you can go in on orders with people, so that you can have what you need without having excess.

Steph, you know if you hang onto those pinks just a little longer, they would be great for a few of this years Boblings....
just sayin'
:)

Yeah, but with my connections as far as feeders go I can get live breeder mice for $.75 a piece and per litter they would save me a ton, and they eat the same things I feed my dubia colonies.

On the feeder note for corns though, my boy just shed yesterday, and when I get home on, Monday I will be feeding him for the first time. I have heard differing opinions on feeding in the new enclosure or moving him out to a cleared enclosure for feeding. What is everyones opinion on this?

Many suggest taking them out and feeding them in a separate container so that they do not ingest substrate. Some feed in their tanks but use paper towels or newspaper as substrate so no worries about the ingesting.

You my want to shop around. I think there is a supplyer much closer to you. Might save of s/h.

Thats a for sure Lenny, if I could go pick up say 100 or so f/t, that would be perfect. I will diffenately shop around. Sorry guys the service out here on this safety job stinks, computer is like dial up slow.

One minute, thirty seconds befor my post go up. Oh well newspaper, and the ink they use to print has no effects on the corn? Just have to ask because some critters anything can hurt them and I am a cornsnake green horn.

Back