• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Homo Motley With Belly Checkers??? HOW??

medusacoils

Mr. Enigma!
This is from a Homo Motley to Homo Motley breeding.

Dad is a Opal Motley
Zodi%20Motley.jpg

Mom is a Ultramel Motley het Caramel
VenusA1220.jpg

Here is the pics of the baby. He is an Ultramel "Motley??" het Lavender and poss het Caramel.

Dorsal:
Tongue.jpg

Lateral:
Lateral.jpg

And the big one. Ventral:
Ventral2.jpg

I thought that maybe she had some retained sperm, but when I spoke to her breeder, she was bred to a Homo Motley last year. :shrugs:

Two babies came out with belly checks. This one has the most. The second one has a couple of really faded checkers..

Any ideas?

Wayne

It happens, I've come across a few. I think I still have one of them, a ghost motley, if I recall correctly. I haven't looked at her belly recently though to know if she was one of the ones I had with checkers (I had about 4).

It happens, I've come across a few. I think I still have one of them, a ghost motley, if I recall correctly. I haven't looked at her belly recently though to know if she was one of the ones I had with checkers (I had about 4).

Thanks for the quick reply Hallie!!

It happens?!?!?! I always thought that a clear belly was a prerequisite to being Motley. :shrugs:

Wayne

Motleys sometimes can have a few belly checks.

Really????

I went to Ians Vivarium and this is what it says:

http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/motley/

Motley

The oldest pattern morph, discovered in 1977. Motleys have no ventral pattern, while the rest of the pattern can be highly variable sometimes even resembling stripes (these have no influence from the stripe gene), but all have merging blotches.

I got this from Sean at VMSHerps site

http://vmsherp.com/ViewCornsnakes.htm

Motley Cornsnake (Pantherophis [Elaphe] g. guttata)

Homozygous for Motley, a recessive mutation. A Classic Cornsnake, but with the attractive ‘Motley’ patterning. Dorsal blotches fuse together into a ladder pattern; strong lateral striping and no ventral pattern at all. Very variable (hence the name Motley), some may appear almost fully striped. A lightening effect makes many appear almost Hypomelanistic. The Motley allele shares the same locus as Stripe, and is dominant to Stripe. Thus some Motley Corns may actually carry one Motley and one Stripe allele; such specimens are called 'Het for Stripe' by some breeders, while others may refer to them as 'Motley/Striped'.

:shrugs:

Wayne

I guess you missed the whole thread Beth posted about it. It was just a few days before Daytona. But apparently motleys CAN have belly checks. I think it's in the genetics section.

Rules are made to be broken. That's why corns are so much fun. I hate to see people write in absolutes. :shrugs:

I guess you missed the whole thread Beth posted about it. It was just a few days before Daytona. But apparently motleys CAN have belly checks. I think it's in the genetics section.

I went in and found that thread. I did miss it. Have a lot going on in life right now and haven't been on here much. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Here it is in case anyone is interested;

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103428

Interesting read. What I find odd is that most everyone agrees that Motleys can have belly checks, but only a few. The male I posted had more than the cited 2-3 belly checks.

So I don't know?? :shrugs:

Wayne

I went in and found that thread. I did miss it. Have a lot going on in life right now and haven't been on here much. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Here it is in case anyone is interested;

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103428

Interesting read. What I find odd is that most everyone agrees that Motleys can have belly checks, but only a few. The male I posted had more than the cited 2-3 belly checks.

So I don't know?? :shrugs:

Wayne

I've seen them with more than 2-3. :)

Perhaps there is another gene at work that tends to over-ride the motley gene and creates a few belly checks. Could explain why only a couple in the clutch show it. Might be worth keeping the two (hoping they are a pair) and breeding them to see the results.

Wayne, doesn't he have a lot more side patterning than a normal Motley too?

Yes! If you look at the lateral pick, you can see it. He is a complete mystery. He looks like all the other Ultramels with the exception of the lateral patterning and the belly checks.

:shrugs:

Wayne

Perhaps there is another gene at work that tends to over-ride the motley gene and creates a few belly checks. Could explain why only a couple in the clutch show it. Might be worth keeping the two (hoping they are a pair) and breeding them to see the results.

Thanks Susan.

This little one is the only one like this. The other one is an Amel Motley and has a few belly checks with a good lateral pettern.

I will take some pics of her and post them when I get home from work.

This whole thing does make you wonder if there is something else at work here. :confused:

Wayne

I know I have seen plenty of motleys with belly checks, it happens. Most don't, but some do.

Thanks a lot Wayne, I went to sex and feed a freshly shed clutch yesterday. They should be half Motleys, about half of them look Motley, but only one has a totally clear belly. :nope: I don't remember this pairing doing this to me last year. I wonder if incubation has anything to do with it. :shrugs:

As a matter of fact, all the ones that I've seen were from the batch of non-feeders I got from you...weird!

Well maybe they did to that to me last year and I just never looked at the nfs. Where they various morphs from het Ghost Lav Mot X Ghost Mot het Lav? This is the same line that gave me the orange eyed Ghost. So maybe there is an "undo" gene. LOL.

Back