• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

All Connie's Fault...

mrweaw

Branching out into geckos
Ok, so maybe its not all her fault...but she just had to keep posting all those cute Crestie pics! :p

So last weekend I gave into temptation and got a trio of Crested Geckos :). My male was tailless when I got him, just to make sure you didn't think I broke him already! :grin01: He is my favorite so far as he likes to come out and play. The girls are both a bit skittery yet but we are working on that. One female I got was gravid when I bought her (yes I knew this when I got her BTW) but when she laid eggs a mere 5 days after coming home with me I was a bit surprised. I didn't realize that she was THAT gravid! I also have a younger female that looks to me to be Dalmatian...what do you all think?

Anyway I am now learning as much as I can so that I can eventually get a couple more...they are really growing on me! I think I am going to have to invest in a little digital scale as my bigger one isn't very precise for animals their size and I am paranoid because they just don't seem to eat very much.

Here are a few pics of my new additions as well as one of my very small eggs. I felt like such a giant when I moved them to the incubator!

Thanks for looking everyone! :wavey:

My new eggs, Belle (mommy), and Blackberry (male)

Attachments

• First Crestie Eggs.jpg
    First Crestie Eggs.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Belle 1.jpg
    Belle 1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 140
  • Belle 2.jpg
    Belle 2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Blackberry 1.jpg
    Blackberry 1.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 139
And pics of my little girl Perdita :) Yes, she was named after the mother dog in Disney's 101 Dalmations. She looks Dalmation to me even if she isn't one technically. :wavey:

Attachments

• Perdita 1.jpg
    Perdita 1.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Perdita 2.jpg
    Perdita 2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Perdita 3.jpg
    Perdita 3.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 131
Very pretty,

I think the little stumpy guy looks cute all the same!

I'd love some chameleons, geckos(Day geckos) or something f the sort but time and space seem to be dictating what I can get up to...I finally have the cash to spend...and work takes up too much time!

I'd call Perdita a Dalmatian. I love the male's coloring. They're looking good. :D

(Awww, awww, awww! You have eggs before me? :p LOL, good luck with them, and post pics of the hatchlings!)

How about a few October pics of more cresties? (Any excuse is a good excuse to post pics, right?) :rolleyes:

< hijack >

GeckoHalloween.jpg

Echo2.jpg

Tremor2.jpg

Tremor1.jpg

DittoWhisper1.jpg

< /hijack >

Erin...

What is the "medium" you're using for the eggs ?

My Wife has had some of her Cresties laying eggs the past couple months. She's been using some of my vermiculite for an incubation medium. Her pairs are first time breeders and most of the eggs have gone bad....

I always use pearlite to incubate my corn eggs so thats what I'm using for the crestie eggs too. Several sites I looked at made comments about "first timers" having eggs go bad but there wasn't a reason listed for the losses. I have never used vermiculite simply because it is harder for me to find out here. I guess only time will tell on these little guys but I'm definitely not counting my Cresties before they hatch.

I love the pics Connie! Hopefully once my girls calm gown a bit I will be able to get some better pics of them.

Erin, that's so great about the eggs! Those little cresties are looking like more fun to have all the time. I hope the hatch out for you and are super healthy. :)

And Connie, those pictures are so adorable!

hana

nice little ones. i got myself a few lepord geckos always wanted one of them though. they like £100 over here dont got that sort of cash. they grate though. nice shots btw.

Thanks everyone!

Blackberry had his first trip to school today and he was a big hit! My Mom was walking around with him (on her knees because we were all sitting) to show my son's class and Blackberry decided he really liked one little girl so he jumped onto her shirt! She was very good about it all :) (Remember, these are first graders) I also took one of my corns and a pair of Leopard Geckos. I love doing presentations for classes, the kids get so excited and sometimes I change someone's negative view of reptiles which is always good. I'll keep you updated on the eggs...I have my fingers crossed for girls since they will be unrelated to my male ;)

No worries Serp! That fund is secure :)

I don't have a lot of experience with my cresties so far but they have been quite easy so far and very entertaining :) Hopefully someone with more experience with them will chime in though.

What adorable little guys! Their little faces have that 'perpetual smile' on them.

Great pics and hijack as well, Connie. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and the two sitting on the pumpkin made my day. =D

I like lizards..but don't like feeder bugs, darnit! *chants: no more crickets, no more crickets* lol

Taceas said:
I like lizards..but don't like feeder bugs, darnit! *chants: no more crickets, no more crickets* lol
Ahhh, but that's the beauty of cresties - bugs are a treat to them, not a staple. They're primarily nectar eaters.

If I get into another herp species (outside of the three I already have), it'll be cresties.

regards,
jazz

Erin,

The third one looks to me to be a fire w/ dalmation spotting.

Gronk- It's pretty common for the first clutches of the year to go bad for whatever reason.

I incubate on vermiculite and had great success with it this year.

This pair that Erin has (my guess anyway) is past their first clutch of the season.

Good luck with those eggs! You'll be absolutely amazed at how big they are when they come out of those tiny eggs!

Q

Sooooooooooooo sweet!!! Hard to get in Holland..... and if available I think very expensive.... :shrugs: :cry:

Back