• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

All of my eggs in one (snakey) basket: or, PLEASE be gravid, Kamalah!

LauRuffian

Perpetual Newbie
I decided not to breed my 13yro classic het amel Cleo this year for two reasons. One, well...she's 13, and two, I recognize what she produces isn't very marketable and it isn't fair to her offspring to continue to put them out there. I know this from horses--just because it has a uterus (or in this case, an oviduct) doesn't mean we should use it. ;) Because my husband is a teacher, we have hundreds of interested buyers in the form of students and their families and haven't had trouble selling her two clutches, but still; it was time to move on.

Enter Kamalah, a 5yro lavender Aztec het hypo het stripe. I intended to breed her to Keegan, a hypo vanishing stripe het hypo, and enjoy the more diverse and valuable clutch. Plus, it's way more interesting (and flat out fun) for the students to calculate the possible genetic outcomes in the Punnett square. At least 8 possible phenotypes, by my count!

Well, every time I paired her with Keegan, he was all OH BABY!, and she was all NOPE. I never once witnessed a lock between the pair, so rather than put them together for 15-30min periods, we started leaving them together in the 55gal "honeymoon suite" for a few days at a time before separating them again. We did that at least three separate times, but never once observed a lock.

Fast forward to now. I have hope she's gravid, but no concrete proof since I didn't observe a lock. There are promising signs: she gained about 30g in just under 2 weeks and she refused the large adult mouse I offered her Sunday, and she's always been a good eater. She did readily take the weanling I offered her yesterday, though. She has gone blue, so I'm hoping (crossing fingers and toes) this is going to be her prenatal shed. I have the lay box already in her tank, her big water dish out, and my incubator stands at the ready. Since I don't know the exact date of any locks, I don't really know when she'd be ready to lay--so I'm going by her shed schedule.

I've been through a lot, a lot, in the last year, so this would mean a lot to me. I had to be medically retired after 17 years in the classroom following brain surgery in January, and after losing my horse to a nasty colic and then realizing I'm not in a place physically to ride or really even handle a 1000lb animal, my other pets are a source of comfort and hope. No pressure, Kamalah. ;)

So...here's hoping all my eggs are in that one lavender basket. :)

All of my digits are crossed!! And I love my Amel from you!! She is still my favorite even though I have other "more marketable" morphs :) xoxo

Keeping fingers crossed, and if you get babies I am interested in a female I love lavenders <3 I hope the aztec comes trough!

Kamalah and keegan were actually the first pair of corns I was going to buy, but I had to unexpectedly move and had to pass them up. I'm glad you got them!! Do you have pictures of them? I'd love to see! And good luck!!

Shirl, wow, have you added to your collection! Love it! And Amelia is such a sweet girl. I suppose there's something to be said for breeding for temperament, too, not just the Fancy Colors. Cleo is awesome, and her August 2013 (Amelia's older sister by a year) daughter, son's first pet, is as sweet as can be, and always has been.

Ravenessa, I'll keep you in mind should things come through! Whoo hoo!

beccasseven, I actually came her to post a pic of Kamalah. :)

I think she looks quite gravid today--whoo hoo! (Hope I'm not just seeing things because I want to see things.) Her back half looks decidedly round to me. What do you think?
10155184_10206978866769595_3561398612555814728_n.jpg

She had her prelay shed (assuming that's what it is) two days ago, so egg laying should be within the next week. Again, whoo hoo!

Here's a nongravid pic of her:
10947286_10206221612598714_5648378837248113522_n.jpg

And here is Keegan:
10982353_10206221613278731_1878246849744242751_n.jpg

Got to love that weight! :D

I took her out to refresh the spaghum moss in her lay box (it was getting icky, and I don't want eggs in icky moss) and decided to feel for the eggs--I was told they'd feel like a long string of large pearls. Sure enough, they were pretty easily felt as she glided over my fingers. I didn't get a solid count since she would pause and change direction and I didn't want to stress her. I counted 15, but I am sure I missed a few. Whoo hoo! :dancer:

Back