• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

All you aspen folk

Neil

Do you worry at all that your snakes burrow into the aspen and lie on the heat mat? What if they burn themselves?

You can use a rheostat to adjust the amount of heat you get. You can also use cage carpet on the floor and put the aspen in on top of that. I have done it this way and it's worked just fine.
You can attatch the heat mat to something other than the cage, like a ceramic tile square. Then adjust the cage height over that accordingly. Those are just a few ideas. I'm sure that there are other creative ways to get the job done:D

i

I use a thermestat with the probe directly on the heat mat with my Ball Python. I use another thermometer on TOP of the substrate so I can measure the temp there. I think a thermastat is the best bet probably.

bmm

I propped up my tank about an inch so that some of the heat from the heat mat can escape. The temperature is usually 84ºF right on the "hot spot."

Thanks. I'll go with the thermostat idea since I already have one lying around ready for brumation time (so I can slowly lower and raise the temp). I'll put the probe under the aspen and directly on top of the heat mat.

I couldn't just prop up the viv because it's made of wood and joined to another two.

Back