• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

always hiding...hibernating?

abdurham

my snake is always hiding, he is never out roaming around. and i was wondering if he is trying to hibernate. he is not grouchy and is eating very well. i though that they didnt eat much when going into hibernation so i am just curious to know what is going on. does anyone have some thoughts that may help me?

It's usually just their nature. Snakes are solitary creatures. He may come out when he is more settled or older or not. Its really dependent on the snake.

Usually my snake is most active when I turn all the lights off and randomly check in on her from time to time...or when I take her out for a bit and then return her to the tank. Snakes love to hide period. ;)

The younger the snake the more fearful it is generally, the same correlation goes for how large your snake's encolure is.
Young snake + Large cage = a snake that only feels secure in a few small spaces.

This behavior is not hibernation, and it's also not something to worry about. If you want to see you snake roaming around I'd suggest getting a small plastic container for it, possibly an opaqu one that's still see through. Otherwise wait for the snake to gain a bit of age, and s/he'll probably start apearing out of those hides soon enough

Young snake + Large cage = a snake that only feels secure in a few small spaces.

This is pretty much a myth. You can put a hatchling in a large tank and it will be just fine as long as you have enough hides in there. After all, wild snakes aren't restricted to 20 X 10 inch spaces. Two of my three snakes went directly into 40g tanks as hatchlings and they are just as secure and active as the other one.

My snakes also hide more when the days are cooler. When it warms up a bit, up into the upper 70s and 80s, they are out and active. If he is eating well and seems healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My corns are a year old and it is completely random. Once in a blue moon they will cruise in the day but normally at night when I turn the light out. Some weeks they cruise all of the time and some they never do. It is complately up to them. I don't believe they hibernate unless you make the environment perfect for them to hibernate (which I don't know how).

One thing I did do is put construction paper on 3 sides of the tanks so only the front glass is exposed they seemed to cruise more after that.

BeckyG said:
This is pretty much a myth. You can put a hatchling in a large tank and it will be just fine as long as you have enough hides in there.

The small spaces I was refering to are the hides that have been provided in the viv.

I've definetly noticed that the snakes I have in larger aquariums take a long time to start exploring it.. One of my yearlings is just now exploring other areas of his viv. The couple snakes I have in small plastic boxes to start out with took to zooming around on their little toilet roll and apple tree branches after the first few days I had them.

GiantBlueberry said:
The small spaces I was refering to are the hides that have been provided in the viv.

I've definetly noticed that the snakes I have in larger aquariums take a long time to start exploring it.. One of my yearlings is just now exploring other areas of his viv. The couple snakes I have in small plastic boxes to start out with took to zooming around on their little toilet roll and apple tree branches after the first few days I had them.

That makes sense. And you are right, they prefer small, tight hides. On the other hand, my snakes that are in 40g tanks didn't take any longer to start exploring than the one that started in a 10. It may just be your yearling is naturally shy.

My snake stays in his warm hide most of the time, but occasionaly decides to venture out. Guess he is a bit of a shy one as well :shrugs:

i recently put a piece of oaktag paper between the glass and the substrate. this kinda mellowed out the uth i think. my corn seems to like it, but he's still chillin in the hide on the cool end. the amb temp of the warm end is a little over 80, so im not too sure why he's not in there. mabey preference? who knows. he seems very healthy and is very active.

Back