• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Any Suggestions on building a new cage

Brad Jr.

I'm looking to build bigger cages for my corn and ball python. I kind of have an idea of what I want already but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. I plan on using plywood for the sides, back, and bottom. For the top I plan on making a wooden frame and placing a wire mesh screen on it. I plan on making the front out of Plexiglas or glass. The front is going to have two hinges on the bottom, a latch on top, and possibly one latch on each side. I'm curious to know if it would be okay to use some type of wood stain for each piece of wood and if I can put a heat pad underneath a wooden tank. I would like to put stain on the inside so there is no chance of molding or warping. I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have. If you know of another way to build one maybe you could share that with me.
Thanks, Brad

I don't really know anything about anything else you said, but make sure the wire mesh isn't too abrasive so that your snakes won't rub their snouts raw on it.

hey there, sounds like you discribed my cage. I didn't build it, but a friend of mine had built it for his snake which he got rid of, then he gave me the cage. As long as the roof of the cage is tall enough, the wire shouldn't be a prob. Mine is about 3 -3 1/2 ft high, about 6 ft wide, and my candycane loves it, plenty of room, and she barely ever even tries to rub snout on wire, has enough room side to side to not want to go up. One suggestion though, if your going to build one yerself...
Mine is wood 1/3 way across top with the wire mesh (more like what they call chicken wire) the other 2/3 way framed in wood. One the wood 1/3 there is a feeding hole. Has lock on the removable wood door, great for feeding!!!!! My girl has a tendency to get very excited when she sees her meals coming and often tries to get out the front of cage, so I use the feeding door for feeding and the big front door to get her out and clean cage etc, so she doesn't get confused and think I'm bringing food when it's time for cage cleaning. Mine is made of plexiglass which I think is conserably cheaper (not really sure) especially if you plan on making bigger cages might be your best route. In the future I plan on making some cages myself because we all know the expenses of larger aquariums for larger snakes. Good luck to you.

Betsy

Back