• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Article: Florida To Snake Owners -- Microchip Your Python

Cegninedorf

Twang'em into trees!
Florida To Snake Owners: Microchip Your Python
Owners Must Register, Cage, and Chip Their Pets

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (CBS) ― A new Florida law may require exotic pet owners to register their cold-blooded pets with the state. January 1 brought new rules for owning some reptiles in Florida.

Anyone seeking to own a python, green anaconda or Nile monitor lizard is now required to get a permit and microchip, reported CBS station WFOR-TV in Miami.

In addition, owners used to allowing their exotic reptiles to have the run of the house are learning their free-range days are over. The reptiles must now be caged. Owners have to answer questions about basic reptile care and have a "bite response plan." There's also an annual $100 fee.

A permit is also required for red-eared slider turtles. It's illegal to allow the turtles to reproduce, and all eggs must be destroyed.

The link also has the news clip that went along with this article.

My opinion is that despite the cost of the licensing fee, this will hopefully create some kind of -- albeit expensive -- responsibility in owners, and that only those owners who are serious about owning these animals will actually own them. More than anything, I'm hoping that these animals will no longer be finding themselves simply abandoned when they've "gotten too big."

Unfortunately, this also punishes those owners who have been responsible & doing the right thing all along: one bad apple...

Well, just think if you had a big snake escape- at least if someone took it to a vet and read the chip, you'd get it back!

Now that there are 10,000-20,000 pythons living in the Everglades, it's like locking the barn after the horse is gone.

Can you microchip a snake? They can travel in cats, dogs and horses... so I can't imagine one staying put in a snake. Also, because it's been a big deal with the USDA National Herd deal were all livestock would be required to be ear tagged or microchip that they are finding a disturbing link between cancer and the chips. When an animal doesn't live long to begin with, cancer can cut a life in half.

Can you microchip a snake? They can travel in cats, dogs and horses... so I can't imagine one staying put in a snake. Also, because it's been a big deal with the USDA National Herd deal were all livestock would be required to be ear tagged or microchip that they are finding a disturbing link between cancer and the chips. When an animal doesn't live long to begin with, cancer can cut a life in half.

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want to chip my animal until it was proven safe.

I debated chipping my 3 cats -- but decided against it. Sure, there is always the possibility that something somehow could go wrong & my cats get loose, but I just didn't like the idea of sticking a computer chip in my cats. Yes, I'd get them back if, god forbid, something happened, but I'm doing everything I can to prevent something from happening -- but sometimes the inevitable happens & who's to say that the person who finds my cats would actually bring them to a vet? I guess, as far as I'm aware, there isn't a chip in me -- so I'm not feeling too keen on doing the same to them.

But, agreed: where would you put a chip in a snake?

And, the article states "pythons," not any particular type of python. So, do all ball python owners have to go through all of this, as well?

It's for sure retics, don't know about burms. I'll check. It's the Green Anaconda.

The reptile species affected are Burmese pythons, reticulated pythons, African rocky pythons, amethystine or scrub pythons, green anacondas and Nile monitors.

Can reptiles and amphibians be identified with the AVID® microchip?

Yes. Microchips are the perfect method of identification for snakes, lizards and even alligators, turtles and toads. AVID® chips are used for pets, breeding facilities, and for research studies on endangered reptiles.

Can the chip be used in creatures that spend all or part of their lives in the water?

Yes. Rare frogs, sea turtles, and fish are also now being identified and studied using microchip technology.

Wildlife

Why would microchipping wildlife be beneficial?

Many wildlife species are endangered or threatened. With the use of safe, secure AVID® microchips, these animals can be studied in their habitats. Unlawful hunting is curtailed when poachers are caught with a microchipped animal. The microchip is also important for documenting breeding programs and reestablishing populations. The implanted microchip does not harm the animal or disturb his behavior in any way.

What kinds of animals are being studied with the aid of the microchip?

Around the world thousands of species are being chipped. Everything from tiny mice and prairie dogs, to whales and elephants. From snakes and fish, to birds and sea turtles. Ongoing research done by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service includes the microchipping of such animals as wild bison, black-footed ferrets, grizzly bears, elk, white tail deer, land tortoises and armadillos.

Can reptiles and amphibians be identified with the AVID® microchip?

Yes. Microchips are the perfect method of identification for snakes, lizards and even alligators, turtles and toads. AVID® chips are used for pets, breeding facilities, and for research studies on endangered reptiles.

Can the chip be used in creatures that spend all or part of their lives in the water?

Yes. Rare frogs, sea turtles, and fish are also now being identified and studied using microchip technology.

Wildlife

Why would microchipping wildlife be beneficial?

Many wildlife species are endangered or threatened. With the use of safe, secure AVID® microchips, these animals can be studied in their habitats. Unlawful hunting is curtailed when poachers are caught with a microchipped animal. The microchip is also important for documenting breeding programs and reestablishing populations. The implanted microchip does not harm the animal or disturb his behavior in any way.

What kinds of animals are being studied with the aid of the microchip?

Around the world thousands of species are being chipped. Everything from tiny mice and prairie dogs, to whales and elephants. From snakes and fish, to birds and sea turtles. Ongoing research done by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service includes the microchipping of such animals as wild bison, black-footed ferrets, grizzly bears, elk, white tail deer, land tortoises and armadillos.

I'm taking that that is from AVID's site? Not particularly going to be non-biased :) Still don't see how it would not travel or how it could be inserted safely. There just isn't much skin there. I know that when they drew blood from Lady G for tests, they had to draw it straight from the heart.

I don't have the link anymore for the research linking the chips to cancer. Should have put it in my favorites. NAIS is really pushing to get everything chipped even the local farmers poultry herd.

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want to chip my animal until it was proven safe.

Problem is if you have one those animals listed, you will need to have the animal chipped and permitted. If the animal is found, odds are, it will be put down.

People are going to fight this and argue due to not wanting to pay for the permits and the hassle of the questionnaire.

How can they fight it if it's the new law?

I'd like to see the questionaire.

They fight laws all the time, easier to fight it before it becomes law, which is what horse people are doing with NAIS.

I'm guessing that they could fight it as an the invasion of privacy.

But, agreed: where would you put a chip in a snake?

My guess is they would put the chip in the tail section.

As far as if the law can be questioned, does anyone know if any state has ever made it mandatory to put a chip in any pets? If not, I am sure it can be argued that the mandatory chipping is not constitutional.

George Orwell was right! Big brother is slowly taking over!

As far as if the law can be questioned, does anyone know if any state has ever made it mandatory to put a chip in any pets? If not, I am sure it can be argued that the mandatory chipping is not constitutional.

This is not people, its exotic animals, no rights being taken away here.

I personally own a large snake and work with animals like these all the time. I actually think this is a good law.

This is not people, its exotic animals, no rights being taken away here.

I personally own a large snake and work with animals like these all the time. I actually think this is a good law.

I understand the reason for the law. I think it might make many people think twice about getting a snake only to let it go free in the wild later. In theory I agree with it.

However, my constitutional arguement is not for the snake, but the snake owner. Is it constitutional to force the owners of certain animals to have the chips placed in the animal? And, as many have questioned here, is it safe?

Actually the USDA is trying to bypass the whole law thing currently. NAIS will make it mandatory that all livestock, including one or two chickens and any fish you might be raising in your backyard be ear-tagged or microchipped. I think they have backed down on the fish and you'll just have to get a permit. Any time ANY animal leaves your property it must be reported within 24hours to the government office that will be overseeing it. Needless to say the horse people are fighting it tooth and nail, since that means that every time you go for a trail ride, you would have to report it. Also any farrier or vet who comes to your property would have to report any non-registered animals or face possible fines. Oh yeah, and you need a premise permit too. And they would have a right to come onto your property without a warrant.

Exotic animals may not have rights, but the people owning them do. Curious if the new laws there address coming onto the property if a violation is believed to be in process?

Its not so far from 1984 as people would think.

This kind of thing really makes me nervous. I understand the state of Florida has a problem with ferrel animals and that many "exotic" animals can live and reproduce if released into the wild in Florida. In Utah, an African Rock Python would live right up to October and then freeze.

What makes me nervous is that one day PETA or some other well meaning group of morons is going to gain public sympathy and get a bill passed to outlaw these types of snakes. Now that they are registered, the authorities will know right where to go to pick them up.

Back