• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

assistance with choices

recycling goddess

addiction addict
okay, so i'm thinking of gifting my son with a snake for his 12th birthday. so i want to get ready for that possibility.

i have a 40 gallon reptile tank with locking mesh lid, i have reptile lights (flukers) so that's covered... and i have stuff for inside the tank... aspen shaving etc.

now to choose the snake. i've been told cornsnakes, milksnakes or kingsnakes would make a good choice as they won't get too large and are easy to handle and feed.

what about pythons?

thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Ball pythons are great beginner snakes too. They are very docile, with great patterns for normals, where average cost is $50 for CB males, usually a little more for females. I picked mine up at a reptile expo for $30. They can be picky eaters at times, but otherwise will never bite (like corns). Their average full grown length is 4-5 feet, with females being larger. Just watch out when buying, to try to avoid imports that usually have more problems, yet are less expensive (I've seen baby imports for $7 at reptile expos, which are generally referred to as captive hatched/farmed, because gravid females are collected from the wild, and then lay eggs and hatched in captive farms).

Congrats on the possibility of owning a snake!

I own mostly cornsnakes, and after dealing with others I believe these are the best species to get started out with. The likelihood of problems is pretty minimal, as far as feeding and temperment are concerned.

Corns are a temperate climate snake, and don't require elaborate conditions to be met for them to be healthy and happy. Slightly above normal household conditions work just fine for mine. Low 80's on the warm end and mid-70's on the cool end, work pretty good. Or even in a room that's a constant temp works well too. My snake room stays a constant 83, and no complaints heard from them yet. Those temps are in F, since us Southern folk haven't quite picked up on the Metric bandwagon yet. ;)

Corns are also more even tempered than other snakes. The hatchlings will get nippy now and then, but it just feels like rough velcro. I've had cat scratches do more damage than corn bites. But once they get used to handling, I rarely have a problem. Most of my bites have been as a result of being careless and my own damn fault.

My kingsnake on the other hand, enjoys biting. They seem to be more motivated by food, so if its feeding time and they smell it, they tend to bite at anything in case it might be food.

I do own a Ball Python, and they're a very docile snake as well. But why people recommend them as beginner snakes is beyond me. They require more warmth and humidity than corns, which having dealt with corns seems to be more work to keep it just right. And they can be rather finicky about eating. The one I've got eats sporadically at best. He'll feed consistently, every week for a month. Then take 2 months off, uninterested in anything. Which from folks I've talked to, they say I'm lucky. He's the only one I have, so I really dunno.

With the size of tank you've got, you could even get an adult cornsnake which would be even better. I prefer to buy older snakes, generally anyway. They're more docile, more predictable, and generally don't have a single eating problem. Plus in case something isn't just right with your setup, they seem to be a lot more forgiving of husbandry mistakes than a hatchling.

I have never owned a milksnake, but have heard mixed reviews as far as temperment goes. Some tend to be nippy, some are dog-tame. I guess it just depends on the species of milksnake you get and the individual snake itself. Which is true for most snakes, regardless of species.

There are quite a few Canadian members of the forum, and they even have their own Forum section down a ways. Maybe one of them lives locally and could give you added pointers and places to obtain whichever snake you decide to get for your son. I wish my mom had done that for me, instead I had to buy my own snake and hide it for a month before she even knew about it. :rolleyes:

I hope I helped a little bit into what you were asking about. It sounds like you've got the supplies already accounted for. You might pick up the Cornsnake Manual, and the others which are printed from the same publisher. They contain a lot of good information, and aren't too terribly expensive. I would get a list of which snakes you're interested in and then just Google for their care sheets online. =)

Best of luck to you!

This is a corn snake forum so you might run into a biased view, but... I think corn is the best choice for a 12y/o - they tend to have tamer dispositions than some of the kings/milks. Of course there's exceptions, perhaps it's not a bad idea to 'test handle' it if possible, if it's going to be a pet snake. I don't have first hand experience with pythons so I'll leave that answer for someone else...It sounds like a nice set up, although if you plan to use the lights for a heat source, you might want to get a uth instead ( under the tank heater)

wow, thanks so much everyone... having a heat source under the tank is no problem at all as the tank will be sitting on top of the lights for our bearded dragon enclosure... so there will be warmth 10-12 hours a day.

it is a cool room though... so perhaps adding a heating pad to give 24/7 warmth would be helpful as well.

One mom's point of view...when I decided it was time to introduce my girls to the fun of snakes, they are the reason I chose a corn. The care is much easier than that of the boas and pythons as far as space, heat, and food requirements. They don't get as large as most of the boids so they will be easier for the kids to handle as they grow. And I couldn't be happier with the general temperament of our snakes. It has quickly become an obsession for the whole family and instead of 'game nite' we have 'cleaning cages nite' now :). We may end up with other types in the future, but I know this was the best choice to get the kids started. IMO

okay, so i've been reading alot of the net and we went in and held a cornsnake at the petstore. my only concern with a cornsnake is how quick they are... my son has a habit of looking the other way for a moment and *poof* his gecko is gone...

so i'm worried that a cornsnake will get away from him. are any of the other snakes a bit slower in their movements?

Taceas said:
My kingsnake on the other hand, enjoys biting. They seem to be more motivated by food, so if its feeding time and they smell it, they tend to bite at anything in case it might be food.

how is your kingsnake regarding quick movements?

also, are adult cornsnakes slower in movement or are they quick as well?

thanks sooo much for taking the time to enlighten me everyone!

If it was a jeuvenille they can be a little "flighty" and hyper active. I've found that ususally by a year old they're pretty much settled down and then as adults are just lazy compared to the jeuvenilles. I would try to find a yearling or a sub-adult or even a full grown adult. This would be best for you son if he likes to get distracted; and the advantage with an adult is you can see its temperment all grown up.

Well..everyone says pictures speak a thousand words..

Click Here!

He's a little better now, but he still likes his 'pinkies', if you get my drift. :grin01:

He is a lot more alert and interested in what I'm doing in the room than the corns. I now handle him with rubber dishwashing gloves when its cage cleaning time, but he's very fast to reach back and bite at me when I pick him up. I hear this is supposed to clear up when they get older, and aren't so 'food nippy'. I'll be glad when that day gets here. Maybe someone with an adult king could add some input for the adult temperments.

From my limited experience and the snakes that I own, I would say the norm is that most of my adult snakes are calm and not nearly as fast as my hatchlings, or even yearlings. If set down, they will wander off, but most generally do it at a lot slower pace than the youngsters, which can seemingly vanish in the blink of an eye. So as far as ease of finding, adults are much easier to find if they should happen to get loose.

That being said, there are deviations from the norm. My adult female ghost motley is greased lightning. I've literally had her to fly out of my grasp and onto the floor and go behind the stereo faster than you can say 'whatsit'. Or one of my newest acquisitions, a 2005 Sunkissed female, is very happy to just hang coiled from a finger while I clean her tub out. So there are differences among individuals, but generally the younger ones are more flighty than the adults.

My Ball Python doesn't do much of anything when I have him out. Most of the time he just sits curled up watching the world go by. Other times he has places to go and just can't be detered from squeezing through the couch cushions.

=)

oh man, i should stop researching and asking questions... i'm finding it harder and harder to make a decision LOL

that pic sure says alot!!! but man is your snake gorgeous!

so, kingsnakes are off the list. :p

so it's between cornsnakes and pythons at this point. hmmmm. what to do what to do
(haven't found much at all on milksnakes at this point)

Heh!

I like all of my snakes. Each are special in their own certain ways, even if some like the taste of human.

While my kingsnake may be nippy, I just deal with it. But that probably isn't an option for children who want to handle them frequently.

I will add that any snake can be nippy if smells food, which is been where 99% of my bites by corns have occured. Par for the course, I guess.

LOL i understand that ;) i just prefer to start him off with something that won't terrify his 6 yr old sister... :shrugs: and so, getting something less biting is better... which is why i'm leaning towards an adult. (cause my daughter loooooves holding the dragons and geckos... she's VERY into critters and bugs etc... but is scared of them at the same time... - typical little girl LOL)

Hi there...
I did a similar exercise as yourself and I just loved the Milk's, King's and hog nose snakes . What put me off a bit was that everything I read pointed towards the fact that these can be problem eaters and possibly a little more aggressive then a corn but if your leaning towards an adult then this probably wont apply so much.

I have been the happy owner of an 04 Amelanistic corn for about three months now, sure I've been struck at a few times but even from a yearling I barely noticed and actually found really cute. These strikes have all been my own fault via startling the snake or when she is in shed and cannot see very well, and never during handling or unprovoked. She can get a little cranky straight after feeding when I'm putting her back into her viv but nothing more then a tail rattle.

She was a very timid snake a couple of months ago probably due to the fact she was very undernourished and didn't look like she had been well looked after.
After getting her onto appropriate food and regular care/handling love and attention she now comes onto my hand herself for handling, eats and drinks from my hand and even gives my nose kisses. (thats what I call it anyways :) )

But as said above, now I'm a cornsnake owner I may be a little bias, but I'm sure that any book/internet search will tell you, corns are the ideal if not the best starter snakes, and although more expensive you cant go wrong with a yearling IMO.

Good luck and don't forget to post piccies of your new arrival whatever species it may be, they are all beautiful imo (especially green tree python's but thats an entirely different kettle of fish and definitely not a beginners snake)

Graham

Last edited:
hey speaking of boas.... anyone have a rosy boa? from what i've read they seem like a good choice as well.

*bangs head against the wall... and promises to stop reading websites for the night*

Back