• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Back in the game...

uberalice

roflcopterz
Hi, everyone. I recently got back into keeping snakes...just yesterday, actually.
For a few years I'd kept ball pythons and a viper boa (Candoia aspera), but I was on an insane schedule with my pre-veterinary studies and eventually had to put the hobby aside for a bit. I hated not having the critters (who were rehomed to a herpetologist friend), but I was moving often and it wasn't fair on the snakes.

I've been feeling the itch recently and having finished school decided I was in a good position to get back into keeping. My boyfriend is a saltwater aquarist, but I dragged him into the All-Ohio Reptile Show yesterday and we ended up coming home with an absolutely gorgeous male Blizzard. I'd long loved the Bliz morph but they were out of season around here, or the neophytes from some breeders just weren't looking too great.

This little guy reminds me why I loved herps so much in the first place. He's close to 2.5' right now, so he's a fairly sizeable guy, and he's as sweet as can be. We gave him awhile to acclimate once we got him home, but he just wanted to get out and explore. And yes, we have cage locks now. ;) He took an adult mouse last night, and passed his first (very small) fecal this morning. I was really surprised by how energetic he was, considering how it took my Balls a few days to settle in.

So the long and the short of it...I thought I'd escaped from the obsession, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Already my boyfriend, the formerly fish-obsessed man, is going "Well, we have room for another setup. I, uh, like the lavenders. Yeah, those lavenders...*insert dreamy face*" There's a very good chance in a year we'll be overrun with Tupperware containers and baby snakies.

Congrats on the blizzard -- have a fun name for him yet? :)

Yeah...my boyfriend -- who is not at all a herp person -- was very supportive of my herp-hobby, at first...until I started to collect empty tanks & then defend how each one needed to be used or it was a complete waste of space. ;) He's come around with appreciating my hobby & giving me some very serious and wonderful help, but just recently he put his foot down...no more snakes. Well, at least for now...;)

Aren't the lavenders lovely??? :cheers:

No fun name yet; I have a hard time thinking of male names, and my boyfriend thinks the one name I've come up with (Panzer) is totally unsuited for him. I'll give it a few days and see what we can come up with.

Being as I already have to deal with a house full of tanks, I don't think he can say much to me about having too many. :) It actually works out pretty well. The tanks he doesn't use can be used for herps, and at least we're used to the obsessive temp/tank conditions checking.

I'm not huge on the mocha-tone lavs, which I know are more common. I think if we were to get one we'd really be looking for one without much brown tone. The couple who bred my bliz seem to have some nice critters so we'll probably check with them and see what they have available when it's time. I would love to get my hands on an opal though.

Welcome to the forums!

It's awesome to hear you've hopped back into the game! Blizzards are lovely snakes; they're definitely up there with my favorites (hypo lavenders, lavenders, opals, and pewters being the others).

I am seriously considering either a blizzard or an opal for my next addition to my addiction. ^__^

Well, yes and no. "Uberalice" is more a reference to my Alice in Wonderland fixation and a play off of "alles". As for "panzer"...my boyfriend's cat's name is Tank, we have a lot of fish tanks, I thought it would be cute to stay with the theme. He, however, totally did not. :(
My dad does love war films and I was raised watching a lot of WWII documentaries, though. With me it's more a general "Tanks and things that go 'splody are neat!" thing than a WWII specific thing.

Back