• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad Shed

Rave

I took my corn out last night for some exercise when i noticed her acting oddly, hitting her head against things and yawning. she retreated into one of my pockets and after maybe 10 minutes i tried to fish her out to put her back into her Viv, when i noticed she was half way threw her shed, I put her back in my pocket so she could finish, rather then carrying a half molted semi freaked out snake across my house to put her back. after she was done, i noticed her shed was clumped together especially near the head area, and on her body was still some pieces of shed stuck to her. When placing her back into her Viv, I put her in a moist hide so she can relax.
so any tips on a bad shed? As well what could I have done better if this situation ever happens again?
(no flaming)

She's one year old, eating small-med fuzzies, and 2nd shed in a little over a month. (just upped her size mice 4-5 feeds ago)
temps normal, healthy as far as i know and never had any shedding problems before.
only notable changes in last few months, would be the up in food size, and the switching from douglas fur to aspen in recent weeks.

Putting in a moist hide was a good idea. If that doesn't work, try putting her in a container with a moist, warm towel so she can slither around it and help the extra skin come off.

For the future, make sure temperatures and humidity levels are correct. If they are, there really shouldn't be shedding issues. If you want to help her out in the future, put in a moist hide with sphagnum moss that she can hang out in.

This should help you out:

http://tinyurl.com/2uco2o

If I were you, next time she goes blue I would place a piece of plastic wrap over her viv, loosely. I'd mist lightly every couple days until the shed, and then check her carefully. Unless she loves her humid hide! If she has a humid hide and will go there and stay there while blue, then I'd just refresh it so it is moist when she goes blue. I have a couple snakes that love their humid hides so much they just keep them, but the moss dries out, so it's fine.

Back