• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ball Python Breeding question?? Help!

CornSnakes556

Hi again,
Ok, we have 1 Normal Female Ball Python and 1 Male 100% Het pied. Can someone help us figure out that we will come out with, I already know they'll all be normals 66% het pied?? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. If I breed the offspring together, with the gene be shown? Even though they are 66% het?

Wrong forum but . . .

Normal to het pied will yield offspring that have a 50% possibility of being het pied (het to het breeding would yield 66% possible het offspring). In other words, half of the offspring will be normal, the other half will be het pied (statistically though). All of the offspring will appear normal (unless you place any credence in pied markers--I don't though). Breeding the offspring back to the het pied male (father) or to each other may yield a pied.

Don't be confused by 50% or 66% het. Something is either het or it is not. The percents just stipulate the probability of it being het. Therefore, these listing are more of a shorthand that should read "50% possible het." That's why I dislike when hets are stated as 100% het--all that is needed is het.--the 100% leads to confusion down the road.

Breeding the offspring back to the het pied male (father) or to each other may yield a pied.

Exactly. Statistically, 1 out of 2 should have the gene (50%) So...theoretically, if you pair the father (100% het = with gene) with a daughter you COULD get a pied IF you pick a daughter that got the gene from dad. If the daughter did not get the gene...you are back to producing normals that are 50% het.

Back