• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Be aware! I've lost 6 of my babies!

DLena

Corns are goram shiny!
When I got home from work, I smelled fumes in the front of the house. I never realized the Village was spraying for the bug problem we're having and my windows were open slightly. I missed the notices...my mom passed on Mother's Day and I've been dealing with a lot of things...All of my Neodesha cages got fumigated because they face the sides of the windows. I've lost Ayasha and Twister (corns), Bernie (rosy boa), Coco (AHS) and my spotted pythons Barb and Gary, named for my Mom and Stepdad.
A lot of spraying is going on for weed and pest control. Be very careful around your windows, especially when it's windy.
I don't see how I'm going to get over this.
My son came home to scrub everything down for me. I'm so thankful the whole room wasn't affected but this is just devastating.
My bigger snakes and really little ones (still in sterilites) were farthest from the windows. Now I've got them in their feeding bins and my quarantine rack until the whole room is scrubbed just in case.
Please be very careful with any kind of sprays. I am so crushed. I just don't know what to say, but please be very careful.

Oh my God that's horrible! I had no idea that was even a risk I needed to think about. Thank you for sharing. And I'm so sorry to hear about all the losses you've had in your family and with your snakes. :'(

Oh no. My heart is with you! There really aren't words. Some of them, especially Coco were almost like part of my family.

Thank you. It's been quite the cruddy year. At least Gypsy wasn't in the Neodesha any more. I just moved her into a larger cage a couple weeks ago. I'm 53 and I feel like I'm lost. I can't wait for the teaching year to be done so I can just deal with all the changes and losses at home...to make things feel new or fresh instead of all depressing and lonely. I never would have considered something like this happening. This house is so close to the sidewalk and street. I never thought of the hazards.

It's not your fault.

This must be devastating the wildlife as well. Silent spring all over again.

No one's like Coco and Twister. She'd hang in my hair while I graded papers and he was such a tail rattler every time he ate but he'd come out and be all over the place exploring and climbing. Coco really liked zipping around her popsicle stick jungle gym. She flowed like silk. I talked to them all of the time.

I am so sorry. There really aren't even any words adequate ...

About 10 years ago, we had a similar thing happen to our Lab. City came by without warning and sprayed the bushes fairly close to her kennel, did 3 freaking passes of them, for mosquito abatement. A few hours later, she had a stroke and died.

Tavia, that's horrible. The sprays are so toxic, it's pretty much irreversible if a pet gets dosed.

So sorry for your losses. Thanks for sharing about the open window. That is not something I would have thought to worry about. Hope the rest of the year is a positive one for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I'm tossing all the plants and vines, cardboard tubes and stick gyms. All else is being seriously scrubbed, including curtains and walls. I've tossed the blinds, too. I'm grateful for the 3-day weekend.

And everyone's caring here really means a lot. Not that many people around me get that each and every one of these snakes was a personality and unique being. You don't just go out there and "get another one."

Yes, we do understand. Truth be told I flashed back to losing Dolly when I heard this news. I still miss him. I still feel responsible. They are not replaceable though we learn to love anew.

We have a little family here and we kind of get to know other people's snakes. I too am glad that you still have Gypsy. I'm sure she will do her best to comfort you. They know. They are not as stupid as people think they are even though the occasional finger gets confused for a dead mouse.

I'm glad you are keeping busy working to protect your snabies that survived. I hope this isn't stupid to admit or TMI, but I cried for your little ones. They are precious little souls. They are no less than a cat, dog, or any loved one. They never judge you or treat you badly, either. They are just our snake babies and buddies.

This is no small loss. Be good to yourself and allow yourself to grieve. 10 years ago my older son died at age 29 so I'm no stranger to grief. I normally wouldn't mention that, but I want you to know why I'm saying what I'm saying. I consider this loss of six beloved pets right up there as far as grief and loss goes. I might not dare write what I just did otherwise, but I figure I have the experience. I'm sending out all my love and support to you.

A few months ago, a zoo in Knoxville (200 miles from me) lost 31 snakes in one night in one of their exhibits. To this day they still have not stated what happened and I'm not sure if they even know, but the minute I heard about it I suggested to my friends "I'll bet it was some kind of Chemical or Poison." They probably had something very simple and seemingly innocent like pest control or whatever, just like your case.

Sorry to hear about your little ones.

Thank you, Karl. I heard about the 31 snakes. I've wondered if it was smaller snakes that died. That's what happened to me, and I have a few others that I'm worried about. But then again, the big ones were furthest from the windows.

I know some of them were rare and not native to the area. I don't believe they were all small, but I don't know that for a fact.

I am devastated for you DLena, this is so sad. I am so sorry for the loss of your mother and your babies. This is such a great community we have here and know that we are all here for you <3

Back