• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Be careful with your tank ornaments!

uberalice

roflcopterz
Wanted to pass on a scary/funny incident that happened to me today. Maybe someone else might find it useful, or at least get a laugh out of it. NEVER underestimate the determination and ingenuity of a corn on a mission!

I am meticulous about locking up my cages. I use cage clips and weights; I lost a Ball once for a few days and hated the feeling, so before I go to bed or leave the house I always double-check enclosures.
This afternoon I went in to handle my Bliz and didn't see him in either hide or poking out of the substrate as he usually does. Strange. Opened up the tank, scooped the substrate around, looked inside the hides...nothing. Nothing under the newspaper, no one smushed inside any of the hides or decoration. This snake had totally disappeared. My mind is boggling because this is a 2 1/2' animal and when clipped and weighted the largest opening in the enclosure is a 1/4" gap between the lid and the molding.

I was heartbroken. I had no clue where this animal was. I was coming to terms with the idea that not only would I have to set "traps", but I have two cats and Snakie might not be coming home alive. Not to mention I'd have to fill my boyfriend in, and he likes this snake. It wasn't going to be pretty. I'd had escapees before and I wasn't totally spazzing, but I was unhappy and really perplexed.

bliztank.JPG

Can YOU spot the corn snake?

snakehole.JPG

See that little bit of white in there?

Yep. He managed to wedge himself through a hole in the bottom of the ornament (which I had already checked and could not see anything through), crawled up the body of the dragon, and snuggled up. Had it not been for that hole in the back I would have had no way of knowing he was in there.

Lessons to be learned from this:
1) No matter how cute they are, tank ornaments just aren't a great idea in some cases.
2) Especially if your snake is really curious.
3) And also very determined.

Yeah, I think once he comes out of there that thing's going on the mantel and staying out of the tank. :dunce:

oh my lord..lol....sorry, not funny that you were feeling panicked....just that the little guy is pretty slippery..lol...is his name Houdini?...lol

so glad he isn't lost ;)

LOL same thing happened to me last month...i got a tree shaped ornament for my corn snake and with hours of putting it in his tank he managed to wedge himself in there thank god i looked before searching all over the house....I have to break the tree ornament though to get him out cause he got stuck when he tried to turn around to come out!! Hope yours comes out soon!!

Put some food on a dish in the tank overnight. Little bugger will be too plump to go back in... Robert's yer mothers brother!!!

you could use aquarium caluk to seal that hole up, it is a cool decoration.

That being said, one of my friends told me his lizard died when an decoration fell on and squished him. So I'm paranoid.

haha, had the same thing happen to me with my plated lizard, his head was stuck, when I tried to get him out, he was sound asleep :shrugs: dont ask my how in that uncomfy position haha.

But he came out with a little help.

I couldnt find him for THE longest time, until I decided to take a look up inside his new tree :rolleyes:

Haha, I bought this new conjoined log from petsmart for
our snow corn, and then few days later, she just disappeared.
I have the cage with the latches on, and it's locked on tight.
So when I got home, and I was ready to handle alex (her name)
and I looked through the whole cage and couldn't find her.
I was freakin out at my whole family, because I assumed everybody
that would had taken out alex and forgot to close the cage.
Couple days go by, I was going to take my other snake out and
I SAW alex in the log, and I turned the light back on and picked up the log...
Alex wasn't there, so I searched the whole cage again, nothing.
Everybody thought I was "seeing things" and I swore that I saw her.
So I had a feeling about that log, I kinda broke the tiny hole, and I saw her!
My god, it was scary!

Mine did the same thing today. I thought he was buried in the aspen but I looked and he was inside his branch. I seen a little tiny Anery loop hanging out....haha

Back