• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

better pic

yellowbellyhippy

PaganVeganHippie!
Ok, husband came home from work and I could use his phone..this snake is so small....wouldn't guess a boa but tell me more!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, rosy boa.

Rosy%20boa%201%20small.jpg

Oh, definitely a Rosy boa! Rosies are wonderful little buggers. Have fun with him/her! =)

Yey, now you have to change your signature, except we still don't know gender to give it a name. how neat you would get a boa!

Cute Rosy....I know they are even native to parts of the southwest. Glad he's safe in your care! :)

That's a Desert Rosy Boa. Lichanura trivirgata gracia. They are native to the area just south of where I live.

Relatively easy to care for, about 3' maxmimum as adults, and typically willing to eat small rats.

Temps around 85*. Humidity around 30-40% unless shedding. Feed once a week...

How lucky for you! A rosy boa is definitely on my short list of candidates for my next snake.

Anyone who would throw a living animal into the garbage needs to be beaten with a blunt object. Severely.

That's a Desert Rosy Boa. Lichanura trivirgata gracia. They are native to the area just south of where I live.

Relatively easy to care for, about 3' maxmimum as adults, and typically willing to eat small rats.

Temps around 85*. Humidity around 30-40% unless shedding. Feed once a week...

I would have guessed coastal rosy boa.... I have 2 San Gabriel locality rosys that look almost identical.
Nice find, Tara!

I wouldn't guess. IMO, you'd have to know the breeder or have collected it yourself. Of course, Chris is just speaking of the sub-species. Still- there are so many that are so similar.

See the beadie eyes, that is were this code came from.

M R ~~~~
M R not ~~~~
O S A R, C D B D iiii
O I L, M R ~~~~

I would have guessed coastal rosy boa.... I have 2 San Gabriel locality rosys that look almost identical.
Nice find, Tara!

I wouldn't make a guess as to locality, but I would put money on that being gracia, not rosefusca. It's the same subspecies found in Inyo County...

Coastal rosies tend to have striping that is much more aberrant in pattern. As juveniles, the color can be very, very similar to a desert rosy, but the pattern is a giveaway...

Here is a L.t. gracia I caught in early '09--
ltgraciainyocmorrison509.jpg

This is a typical adult L.t. rosefusca--
ltroseofuscatb.jpg

And a typical juvenile--
ltroseofuscasdbe606.jpg

**All photos courtesy of http://CaliforniaHerps.com and copyright holders as marked**

Juvenile coastals do tend to lack a lot of the blue that you see in adults. But even still, you can see how incredibly aberrant the striping is compared to a gracia...

Short of scale counts and comparisons, pattern aberrancies are the easiest way that I know to ID juvenile rosies...

Thanks everyone! Her named ended up "Carly" after my husband's x-wife since they were both "trashy" ;-) She is a real sweetie. Can't believe someone threw her away. I'de really like to find those f**ks!

Back